Terence Newman in the fold per his twitter

After much time and thought, I'm heading back to Cincy. And for those of you who think it was about money, the Raiders offered more.

I came in with Mike Zimmer and feel its only right that I leave as him coaching me. Thanks to Raiders Nation for showing me such love

Nice, if only for insurance.  Don't he & Tits have the same agent?

:contract:

Yes. I guess its a good thing it means we've had at least some sort of communication with him. now get andre done.

In a passing league you need at least 3 starting caliber corners. We now have 4 (counting kirkpatrick). If just one of Prater or Ghee can show some potentially than ideally they can replace Newman in 2014 as CB4 with Hall, Pac, and Dre as the 1-3.

I would be kinda shocked at this point if we went CB early unless the plan is to move dre to S, which I doubt.

Terrence Newman's agreement in principle with #Bengals: 2 years for $5M. Newman gets $3M in the first year. He'll sign in next few days

Where did you see that? Kinda surprised its for 2 years...

Nevermind saw rapoport reported it. Another guy locked up for more than one years. We shouldnt have many FAs next year, although the ones we have will all be big free agents. Hopefully they can get a few done this offseason.

Oh and get andre done.

Nevermind saw rapoport reported it. Another guy locked up for more than one years. We shouldnt have many FAs next year, although the ones we have will all be big free agents. Hopefully they can get a few done this offseason.

Oh and get andre done.

I'm not...if he can play, he's worth not having to go through the hassle again.  If he can't cut it either year, he's cut.

As much as I got frustrated with Newman, the dude went head to head with the other teams best receiver almost weekly.  Inactrick is going to have to step up his game big time if he wants any snaps.  Newman was more than solid last year.  Hoping for a repeat performance.

Oh and get andre done.

I would consider that 2nd year basically a team option. Sounds like he gets $3M this year. Then the Bengals will be able to decide later whether they want him for $2M in 2014.

After much time and thought, I'm heading back to Cincy. And for those of you who think it was about money, the Raiders offered more.

I came in with Mike Zimmer and feel its only right that I leave as him coaching me. Thanks to Raiders Nation for showing me such love

Count me as a big fan of Newman now. It's not just about the money, he wants to be here.

Newman! Nice signing. At worst he's solid depth, at best he plays like he did last year and pushes those behind him to get even better. Great job by the FO to get this done on THEIR terms. Andre is now the last loose end going into the draft and I'm suspecting a draft week signing so he can make sure to squeeze every last penny out of the Bengals. I just pray the FO doesn't get too caught up in playing contract chicken on this one and go into the draft without him in the fold.

As much as I got frustrated with Newman, the dude went head to head with the other teams best receiver almost weekly.  Inactrick is going to have to step up his game big time if he wants any snaps.  Newman was more than solid last year.  Hoping for a repeat performance.

Love it. That yours?

I'm glad... and I'm not as concerned about his age because he was an overaged rookie, as I expect (especially as the season progresses) that Dre will take the majority of snaps on that side. It's good how Dre will have most of his mentors there, and Newman is a great example of a guy who kind of lost his way in Dallas, and had to get back to fundamentals to see his play improve... That's a good lesson for a developing player.

I like how there are 4 starting-level CBs for both nickel and dime packages as well as for depth/injury, and not counting Prater or Ghee.

With Newman in fold, safety next on secondary agenda

Terence Newman has said he wanted to play for a contender and Mike Zimmer.

In the end, it had to be Cincinnati and Newman tweeted as such late Friday night after reaching what is believed to be a two-year deal in the $5 million range with $3 million in 2013. Which means Zimmer, the Bengals defensive coordinator, is going to line up all his regulars from last year's sixth-ranked defense that were in free agency. Right end Michael Johnson has signed his $11.1 million franchise tender while middle linebacker Rey Maualugaand third cornerback Adam Jones signed in the past week. 

"After much time and thought, I’m heading back to Cincy. And for those of you who think it was about money, the Raiders offered more," Newman tweeted.

“I came in with Mike Zimmer and feel its only right that I leave as him coaching me. Thanks to Raiders Nation for showing me such love.”

Newman, who will be 35 Opening Day, sought a two-year deal and if the Bengals didn't match the money then they offered not only Zimmer but also stability with speculation that the Oakland regime of head coach Dennis Allen and Reggie McKenzie is in a make-or-break year.

The only "regular," that Zimmer loses is SAM backer Manny Lawson,, who played only about a third of the snaps. When third cornerback Adam Jones tweeted his three-year deal last week, he said Newman planned to return because of the consistency that had developed with the three corners anchoring a pass defense that allowed just four touchdwn passes in the 7-1 finish.

"I was talking to Leon (Hall) and the first thing I asked him is 'How long is your contract?' " Jones said. "We've got a pretty good tandem going back there. The three of us like playing together. It's fun. One of us might be down one day, but the other guy picks him up."

With those three back, as well as last year's No. 1 pick Dre Kirkpatrick,  it may mean that veteran cornerJason Allen is on the roster bubble after he played in just one game last season. Last year's fifth rounder,Shaun Prater, and 2010 third-rounder Brandon Ghee are targeting the Nos. five and six corners.

The one hole they have to fill is the safety spot manned by free agent Chris Crocker.  It's widely believed the Bengals are going to draft a safety to pair opposite Reggie Nelson in the first two rounds.

Newman, the fifth player taken in the 2003 draft by the Cowboys, broke into the NFL under Zimmer and in Zimmer's remaining four seasons in Dallas that's how Newman molded his game. On the street last spring after Dallas cut him following a tough season, Newman was rejuvenated under his mentor in Cincinnati and responded with play that conjured up his two Pro Bowl seasons.

Exhibits A and B were his interceptions of consecutive Peyton Manning passes (one in the end zone) that set up 10  points and a 20-17 lead early in the fourth quarter before Denver pulled out a 31-23 win on Nov. 4 at Paul Brown Stadium.

He replaced Nate Clements as the starter after a preseason he stayed the healthiest and most reliable of the Bengals' five first-round corners and ended up ranked as the 19th best corner in the league by profootballfocus..com.

"I would say 70 percent of it is Zim and the other 30 percent is the fact I've worked to get back where I was and he's coached the hell out of me to get back to that," Newman said last December as he prepared to meet the Cowboys. "A lot of it was I was guessing on routes instead of playing them."

Now the guess is the Bengals' next (and last) major deal they want to get before the April 25-27 draft is with right tackle Andre Smith. He shares Newman's agent, Ben Dogra, and it's believed the sides have also had exchanges on a Smith contract while working out the Newman deal. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/With-Newman-in-fold-safety-next-on-secondary-agenda/fc7f9f32-5983-41c4-8132-3c86c57a2143 

Archived