The 2013 Regular Season Thread!!!!!!

Jason

Why not just do it tomorrow? A little late now I get, but had they announced this a few days ago there is no reason they couldn't have. That way we get all 81 home games.

I think they like to give the players those 4 days off, get their minds straight, and what not.

After enduring 63 starts of sucky batting in the two-hole by Cozart, Dusty finally makes a change and Heisey hits a homer in his first AB in the two spot. Not that Heisey is all that or anything, he's barely batting over .200 but goddamn the change was long overdue. I honestly think they should bat Votto in the second spot.

Did anyone hear the statistics on our right handed bats tonight?  Absolutely putrid.  Luckily Brandon helps.  We need Luddy in the worst way.

I'm afraid of relying on him to help, especially since he played way over his baseball card last season after the injuries to Votto. It's unreasonable to think Ludwig will be the same as last season. Then again, there's not much worse than our two hole hitting this season either. 

Some interesting comments from BP.

“I just feel like they didn’t have to sign Joey (Votto) to that contract (10-year, $225-million extension). He still had two more years on his. And for (the front office) to go out there and sign him before they sign me, and they knew I was going to be a free agent?” Phillips shakes his head. “I understand Joey’s a good player. He’s one of the best players in this game. But I feel like I am too. I told them that this is where I wanted to be. I begged them. I told everybody I want to finish my career here. And then they give someone a contract who didn’t ask for nothing?”

“To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened,” he says. “For (Castellini) to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face … But how can someone slap you in the face with all that money. It’s a nice slap in the face.

Source 

Phillips stands by recent comments on contract

CINCINNATI -- Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips was not retreating on Friday from comments he made for a just-published article in a local magazine.

In discussing the six-year, $72 million contract he signed with the Reds in April 2012, Phillips told Cincinnati Magazine he was "scarred" and it was a "slap in the face," because teammate Joey Votto -- who still had two years left on his contract -- signed a 10-year, $225 million contract before the Reds turned their attention to him, a pending free agent.

"What did I say wrong? Please tell me what did I say that was wrong?" Phillips said on Friday. "It's about people asking you questions. You don't back down from any question. You just tell them how you really feel. I don't feel like I said anything wrong. I didn't disrespect [anybody]. If I did, it could be somebody in the front office. They know what happened, so I don't understand why everything is a big deal. And fans, I didn't say anything. I love this city. I love Cincinnati. I'm happy to be here. I'm happy with the contract that I've got."

The story, featured on the cover of the magazine's August issue, covered many aspects of Phillips' tenure in Cincinnati, but the part that made waves on Friday was his criticism of how the Reds' front office handled his negotiations last year.

"If somebody tells me they have no money and then you find $200 million somewhere, what does that sound like?" Phillips said. "I'm very happy for Joey, don't get me wrong. I'm happy for everything that happened for Joey. Myself, I was done. I thought I wasn't going to be a Cincinnati Red anymore. If y'all paid attention to everything that I said, everything you got out of that -- people are thinking negative about it.

"Basically, if you think about it, it's saying that I thought I wasn't going to be a Cincinnati Red. If y'all want to take it the negative way, be my guest. It doesn't bother me. I love Cincinnati. I love my fans. If you don't want to like me for what I've said, that's really up to you."

Said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty: "It is an internal matter, and there will be no further comment."

For his part, Votto said he had not read the story. Both he and Phillips agreed the issue had been previously discussed between them.

"From what I gather, Brandon's reaction was totally human," Votto said. "It's a feeling I've felt before. It's a feeling most people have felt before.

Brandon is a teammate I've played with for six, seven years now. I love playing with him. I really have an immense amount of respect for him. Those comments really have nothing to do with me. It doesn't change a single thing. It makes me like him more, to be honest with you."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130719&content_id=54063642&notebook_id=54064482&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

I'm afraid of relying on him to help, especially since he played way over his baseball card last season after the injuries to Votto. It's unreasonable to think Ludwig will be the same as last season. Then again, there's not much worse than our two hole hitting this season either. 

I'm with you, but unfortunately, I think Ludwick is the only hope we have.  I don't think they can or will go get a right handed bat for right field  bat with Ludwicks contract.  It would also help if Cozart and Frazier could get going.  Todd was probably the reason we were so good last year and we desperately need him to replicate his form last year this back half.

Oh and I love Brandon, but come on man.  Wasn't Votto coming off an MVP season? Of course they are going to try get what looked like the best bat in the league and a gold glover a super mega deal before a guy with a unreal glove and above average bat. 

Archived