The 2013 Regular Season Thread!!!!!!

Jason

They can sit and wait for Ludwick to come back instead of going out and getting a bat, but they aren't going to win the NL Central with that philosophy.

I don't know if Ludwick is the answer here, or if anyone they can bring in is. The Reds have a weird tendency to score runs in bunches when they do score, and the bats fall unusually silent when they don't, like tonight and last night. I just don't get it. There's enough talent in our lineup as is to move runners around regardless of the Ludwig situation, we just can't seem to do it when it matters most. Another good pitching outing wasted, although Bronson was true to form with his "cruise through 4-5 innings and then give up meatballs" philosophy. I'd be happy if when Cueto comes back we move Arroyo into the pen and let Cingraini take his place in the rotation quite honestly. Arroyo is durable and reliable but he doesn't have good "stuff". Cingraini does.

I don't know if Ludwick is the answer here, or if anyone they can bring in is. The Reds have a weird tendency to score runs in bunches when they do score, and the bats fall unusually silent when they don't, like tonight and last night. I just don't get it. There's enough talent in our lineup as is to move runners around regardless of the Ludwig situation, we just can't seem to do it when it matters most. Another good pitching outing wasted, although Bronson was true to form with his "cruise through 4-5 innings and then give up meatballs" philosophy. I'd be happy if when Cueto comes back we move Arroyo into the pen and let Cingraini take his place in the rotation quite honestly. Arroyo is durable and reliable but he doesn't have good "stuff". Cingraini does.

Latest I've seen about Cueto is that he hasn't started throwing yet and won't be back until at least mid to late August.

I'm not sure I would count on a guy who may not be back with the team for another month.

Regardless, we're talking about Dusty Baker here and we know his affinity for sticking with veterans.  Arroyo stays in the rotation if and when Cueto does come back this year. Cingrani will go to the pen.

The non-waivers Trade Deadline is less than a week away (Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET) and there hasn’t been much in the way of rumblings from the Reds.

“It’s very quiet. There have been a lot of conversations but nothing of substance,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said on Thursday during batting practice at Dodger Stadium.

Jocketty and much of his inner circle is on the road trip. Among the things the Reds have their eye on is a right-handed bat to help the offense. But the team is in a situation where they feel they can afford to wait on the return of left fielder and right-handed bat Ryan Ludwick, who began a rehab assignment on Wednesday. It’s a similar situation with pitching as the Reds await the return of ace Johnny Cueto and key relievers Jonathan Broxton and Sean Marshall.

“When we get them back, it strengthens our club even more,” Jocketty said. “I don’t want to trade prospects to improve the club.

“Unless something develops in the next week, I’m not sure you’ll see us do anything.”

Someone tell me why we cannot score when it matters. It isn't Ludwick. Something is inherently flawed with this team, and it ain't pitching,

I know your not a big Ludwick fan, but I think essentially this team is missing a guy who can hit for power and sprinkle a little average and OBP in.  His fly ball to ground ball ratio is nearly 2/1, so double plays are not a frequent thing.  Had a really good OPS last year as well.  I think the biggest thing he is going to provide is allowing a legitimate guy like Brandon to move in front of Joey so he can see better pitches. This team is essentially wasting Choo and his great OBP by letting Chris Heisey/Xavier Paul fail to get him to second base, or hit into double plays.

Not to mention, our batting statistics for our right handed guys is near the bottom of the league, just as our LF statistics are.  Ryan is going to be a huge shot in the arm.  My only question is if it is going to be quick enough to save us from a 1 game playoff game against Wainwright or Burnett.

I know your not a big Ludwick fan, but I think essentially this team is missing a guy who can hit for power and sprinkle a little average and OBP in.  His fly ball to ground ball ratio is nearly 2/1, so double plays are not a frequent thing.  Had a really good OPS last year as well.  I think the biggest thing he is going to provide is allowing a legitimate guy like Brandon to move in front of Joey so he can see better pitches. This team is essentially wasting Choo and his great OBP by letting Chris Heisey/Xavier Paul fail to get him to second base, or hit into double plays.

Not to mention, our batting statistics for our right handed guys is near the bottom of the league, just as our LF statistics are.  Ryan is going to be a huge shot in the arm.  My only question is if it is going to be quick enough to save us from a 1 game playoff game against Wainwright or Burnett.

I almost think you have to at this point move Choo or Joey into the 2hole so they are back to back in the lineup.

Here's your problem:

Frazier .248

Paul .243

Mesoraco .256

Cozart .237

#9 spot .178 (Leake tonight)

These are your 5-9 hitters

2 spot tonight is Izturis who is hitting a whopping .202

You aren't going to score runs when 2/3 of your line up is hitting on average .227.

BP has also cooled off considerably down to .258

#Reds have scored 1 or fewer runs in 4-straight games for the first time since 2001. The time before that was 1989.

Chapman Career w/ Rest: 0 Day: 1.66 ERA (48 G) 1 Day: 1.07 ERA (51 G) 2 Day: 3.82 ERA (40 G) 3 Day: 2.79 ERA (9 G) 4 Day: 5.49 ERA (23 G)

UGH.

I'm finding it harder and harder to support dusty...

No excuses for chapman only pitching 1 time in 9 days. I don't give a flying fuck if there haven't been save opportunities, get him in the damn game.

We've also lost 5 extra innings games where chapman never even came in. Dusty is obsessed with meaningless stats like saves or getting pitchers wins, but its a team game worry about getting the team wins first.

Archived