The 2013 Regular Season Thread!!!!!!

Jason

I either need to sit in Diamond Seats or not go to games. They are undefeated when I sit there. They stink when I am anywhere else. I went today too.

Last night was actually kind of cool though. I was sitting in the Scout Seats and was sitting within a few seats in any direction of 10 MLB scouts. One guy in front of me worked for the Angels. The guy right next to him the Dodgers, and the guy right next to me the Braves.

Ryan ludwick doesnt have an extra base hit in like 3 weeks. Continue to throw him out there at 2-4 every game it wont fucking do anything. If you want to play him bat him 6th or something. Batting him 4th or 2nd does nothing. Hes just not good right now. Who knows if he ever will be again but id try hard to get rid of his contract in the offseason.

Fact of the matter is, with the current format, it is hard to build a team that doesnt have a payroll over like 140M. How much of our money has been wasted this year on brox, marshall, cueto, ludwick, masset, etc? Probably 40 plus mil of our 100 mil team salary. It takes a fucking miracle to win it all as a small market team and we had our chances the last two years but havent capitalized.

Honestly, i hate to admit it and I wont fully admit it till its over, but we are going no where and we are going no where soon. Unless they find a way to get the payroll to get up to  like 130-140 mil we just cant win. 25 mil to fucking votto that all he does is walk 150 times a year? I like votto and i think he gets on best like the best ever, but he doesnt win games because he doesnt knock runs in and he doesnt hit in clutch situations (at least this year). Paying a quarter of your teams salary on a guy like that?? Doomed for failure.

Once again not trying to be a votto basher, but at the end of the day paying him 25M a year will cost us unless he finds a way to win games and not just walk 3 times a game.

Ryan ludwick doesnt have an extra base hit in like 3 weeks. Continue to throw him out there at 2-4 every game it wont fucking do anything. If you want to play him bat him 6th or something. Batting him 4th or 2nd does nothing. Hes just not good right now. Who knows if he ever will be again but id try hard to get rid of his contract in the offseason.

Fact of the matter is, with the current format, it is hard to build a team that doesnt have a payroll over like 140M. How much of our money has been wasted this year on brox, marshall, cueto, ludwick, masset, etc? Probably 40 plus mil of our 100 mil team salary. It takes a fucking miracle to win it all as a small market team and we had our chances the last two years but havent capitalized.

Honestly, i hate to admit it and I wont fully admit it till its over, but we are going no where and we are going no where soon. Unless they find a way to get the payroll to get up to  like 130-140 mil we just cant win. 25 mil to fucking votto that all he does is walk 150 times a year? I like votto and i think he gets on best like the best ever, but he doesnt win games because he doesnt knock runs in and he doesnt hit in clutch situations (at least this year). Paying a quarter of your teams salary on a guy like that?? Doomed for failure.

Once again not trying to be a votto basher, but at the end of the day paying him 25M a year will cost us unless he finds a way to win games and not just walk 3 times a game.

While in the past you needed a high payroll to win, you dont need it anymore. The Pirates, Athletics, Indians and Rays all made the playoffs this year and they are all in near the bottom in payroll. Only 3 out of the top ten in payroll this year made the playoffs.  One of those was the Red Sox and they even cut 23 million off their payroll from last year. Five of the top ten in payroll had a losing record this year. In the last five years, only the Yankees were ranked in the top five in payroll won the world series. Its not about going out and signing top dollar free agents any more. Teams that win now are starting to develop talent in the minors and bringing them up.

I don't think it's a payroll issue as much as they just lack any consistent hitters outside of choo and Votto. Bruce is very streaky, cozart and Frazier even more so. Brands is also streaky at times.

For this team to get to the next level, they'll need to make a move at LF, 3B or SS to sure up the offense with a consistent over .300 bat.

While in the past you needed a high payroll to win, you dont need it anymore. The Pirates, Athletics, Indians and Rays all made the playoffs this year and they are all in near the bottom in payroll. Only 3 out of the top ten in payroll this year made the playoffs.  One of those was the Red Sox and they even cut 23 million off their payroll from last year. Five of the top ten in payroll had a losing record this year. In the last five years, only the Yankees were ranked in the top five in payroll won the world series. Its not about going out and signing top dollar free agents any more. Teams that win now are starting to develop talent in the minors and bringing them up.

While you are correct that in any given year you dont need a high payroll to win...to keep that team and keep that talent you do. The pirates might be good for a year or two, then a bunch of guys are gonna need big contracts and they will end up leaving. To win consistently you have to have a big payroll in order to keep your young talent. 

While you are correct that in any given year you dont need a high payroll to win...to keep that team and keep that talent you do. The pirates might be good for a year or two, then a bunch of guys are gonna need big contracts and they will end up leaving. To win consistently you have to have a big payroll in order to keep your young talent. 

I don't think that's the case. The Rays have won at least 90 games in five of the last six years with a low payroll. They lost several guys due to money. The Athletics had a great run in the early 2000's and now they put up back to back 90 win seasons with little payrolls. Is it easier to win with a higher payroll sure but there is proof that you don't need big-money to win consistently. If you build through your farm system and don't trade them away, you can win with a little payroll.

I don't think that's the case. The Rays have won at least 90 games in five of the last six years with a low payroll. They lost several guys due to money. The Athletics had a great run in the early 2000's and now they put up back to back 90 win seasons with little payrolls. Is it easier to win with a higher payroll sure but there is proof that you don't need big-money to win consistently. If you build through your farm system and don't trade them away, you can win with a little payroll.

The rays fit your example but I disagree on Oakland. Oakland fits my belief perfectly. They did their money ball shit in the early 2000s were pretty good but then lost mulder zito and Hudson because they couldn't afford them as it's taken them pretty much a decade to get back to where they were.

I think the 1997-2003 marlins are the example of how to win with a low payroll. Suck for a few years while building your farm system get good enough where you can make a run for a year or two, hopefully win it all, then start all over. Rebuild for about 5 tears then try to make another run.

The rays fit your example but I disagree on Oakland. Oakland fits my belief perfectly. They did their money ball shit in the early 2000s were pretty good but then lost mulder zito and Hudson because they couldn't afford them as it's taken them pretty much a decade to get back to where they were.

I think the 1997-2003 marlins are the example of how to win with a low payroll. Suck for a few years while building your farm system get good enough where you can make a run for a year or two, hopefully win it all, then start all over. Rebuild for about 5 tears then try to make another run.

It was not quite a decade for the athletics. In 06 they won 90 plus games and then last year they won 90 plus. In a 15 year period, the athletics have only had four losing seasons so I think it goes to my point you can win with a low payroll.

Holy shit.  A Lets go bucs going on right now and very clearly audible.  If this doesn't give this team a little gutcheck to kick these guys in the face on Tuesday, nothing will.

I hate everything Pittsburgh.  GD.  If these guys get us in baseball..

Archived