The Official UofL Basketball Thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numbers

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/01/kevin-ware-louisville-cardinals-medical-bills/2044871/

Louisville says Kevin Ware will have no medical bills

Kevin Ware's family will not face large medical bills as a result of his serious leg injury at the NCAA tournament, according to a Louisville official.

Ware, a Louisville guard, suffered a compound fracture of his lower right leg in the Cardinals' regional final victory against Duke Sunday.

For all Louisville athletes, their personal or family insurance serves as their primary medical coverage, with the university acting as co-provider for athletic injuries.

"There is generally no out-of-pocket medical expenses for the student-athlete or his family, and none for Kevin in this instance," said Kenny Klein, Louisville senior associate athletic director for media relations.

The NCAA requires that all schools certify that student-athletes have insurance for medical expenses. Some universities buy insurance for student-athletes but that is their choice, not a requirement from the NCAA.

To supplement school insurance policies, the NCAA has a policy for championship events, such as the NCAA men's basketball tournament, that covers medical expenses up to $90,000.

After that, the NCAA's catastrophic insurance policy -- with a deductible of $90,000 and maximum benefit of $20 million – could kick in. But that is generally available only to athletes who are totally disabled.

So, in Ware's case, his family insurance and Louisville insurance would apply first. Then, the NCAA's championship supplemental insurance could kick in, up to $90,000.

For those that have not seen the injury to Kevin Ware:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAP20OeeSI[/media]

For those that want a comparison to a Bengals player (Krumrie):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzWp_qQGo8[/media]

"we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Pulling for UL here, they have a kid that is a George Mason transfer, Luke Hancock

How appropriate that a Hancock went to George Mason, I wonder if he is related to the other founding father.  Constitution in which neither one of them signed.   What always struck me as somewhat odd was that the Declaration of Independence was pretty much taken from George Mason's version but yet Mason never signed it either yet Hancock did.

For those in the 'Nati we have Chane Behanan  whose hometown is Cincinnati, Ohio.

Best of luck this weekend.  That game Sunday was a dogfight until the refs missed that foul on the three pointer.  All the sudden, Russ and Silva just took over.  Game went from 42-42 to like 48-66 in the snap of the fingers.  I will always wonder what would have happened had the foul on Seth been called, but in the end, L'Ville was the better team from the tip and Rick did a great job of implementing a zone defense that stopped Seth.  Its too bad we met in the E8 instead of the FF or National Championship game.

L'Ville vs. UM would be a great game. 

Best of luck this weekend.  That game Sunday was a dogfight until the refs missed that foul on the three pointer.  All the sudden, Russ and Silva just took over.  Game went from 42-42 to like 48-66 in the snap of the fingers.  I will always wonder what would have happened had the foul on Seth been called, but in the end, L'Ville was the better team from the tip and Rick did a great job of implementing a zone defense that stopped Seth.  Its too bad we met in the E8 instead of the FF or National Championship game.

L'Ville vs. UM would be a great game. 

You might be right about the foul, I'm not sure.  IMO the blame rests partially with Thornton who was fouling at critical times which caused a momentum shift each time.

"we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

How appropriate that a Hancock went to George Mason, I wonder if he is related to the other founding father.  Constitution in which neither one of them signed.   What always struck me as somewhat odd was that the Declaration of Independence was pretty much taken from George Mason's version but yet Mason never signed it either yet Hancock did.

For those in the 'Nati we have Chane Behanan  whose hometown is Cincinnati, Ohio.

Chane had committed verbally to UC initially, then changed his mind.  Don't blame the kid, UC was just trying to get back to relevance after the whole Huggins fiasco. 

I like Louisville, always have for some reason.  Since the days my older brother used to watch games and I would be too young to remember what was going on but I will never forget "Never Nervous" Purvis and Milt Wagner team that I believe won the NC? 

Chane had committed verbally to UC initially, then changed his mind.  Don't blame the kid, UC was just trying to get back to relevance after the whole Huggins fiasco. 

I like Louisville, always have for some reason.  Since the days my older brother used to watch games and I would be too young to remember what was going on but I will never forget "Never Nervous" Purvis and Milt Wagner team that I believe won the NC? 

Back in 86.  That was a great team also.  However, the 1980 NC was to me the most special with Dr. Dunkenstein, Scooter, etc...  The city went bonkers as if we won the Super Bowl or something.  Being the 1st is always the most memorable.  I just want to live long enough to see what happens when the Bengals finally get their ring. 

Back in 86.  That was a great team also.  However, the 1980 NC was to me the most special with Dr. Dunkenstein, Scooter, etc...  The city went bonkers as if we won the Super Bowl or something.  Being the 1st is always the most memorable.  I just want to live long enough to see what happens when the Bengals finally get their ring. 

I too hope I live long enough to see the Bengals win a world championship.  I don't remember the '80 team as I had no idea what basketball was.  Or a TV.  Or life haha. 

I remember shooting a beach ball into a milk crate we had rigged to be a basket and I would pretend to be Louisville players, St Louis Billiken players (don't know why, they were on tv a lot apparently), UC players.  The milk crate basketball game we improvised with proved to be very beneficial as me and my two brothers turned out to be pretty good at basketball. 

That was an awesome game and so much sweeter that we won.  Wichita put up more than a simple fight.  Almost handing us our own asses on more than one occasion.  Somewhat feel lucky but hey as I've said before, a WIN is a WIN no matter how ugly.

I did think of Hobson when I opened up the Courier Journal web site to get a picture and saw the headlines; 

Shock wears off, Cards hang on 72-68

BHNYNVWCYAEISco.jpg

The last time both the men and women's team went to the Championship was 2004, Connecticut, both men's and women's team won.  Before that 1999, Duke, both men's and women's team lost.

This is cool.  Celebrations are somewhat subdued here for the most part.  Everyone's kinda holding their breath.

Congrats Numbers. I don't really like either team. But I like Pitino and hate Michigan. 

Just glad it was a good game. But really wouldn't have minded if both teams lost.

Thanks.  Nobody burned the city down and it stayed somewhat calm.  I'm impressed with the relatively low amount of crime during the celebration.

• 2 months later...

Luke Hancock's dad passed away:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9418691/father-louisville-luke-hancock-dies-cancer

ROANOKE, Va. -- The father of Louisville basketball guard Luke Hancock has died after a three-year battle with cancer.

William Hancock, 70, died in his bed in the family's Roanoke County home at about 7:30 a.m. Monday, said his wife, Van Hancock. The family was at his side except for Luke, she said, because he was on his to Colorado to attend USA Basketball's tryouts for the World University Games.

"We caught him in Dallas and he went on to Colorado as we had talked about and as his father wanted him to do," she said, calling her son's opportunity to compete for a spot on the national team a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." She said Luke had discussed his plans with his father and family before leaving for the tryouts.

William Hancock's death was first reported on The Roanoke Times' web site.

His battle became one of most poignant stories of the NCAA tournament when Luke scored 22 points with his ailing father in attendance watching Louisville beat Michigan 82-76 to win the national championship. Luke made four 3-pointers to help pull the Cardinals out of an early double-digit deficit, hit another 3 to push their lead to double digits with 3:27 left and became the first non-starter to win Most Outstanding Player in the Final Four.

"There's no way to describe how it feels that my dad was here," he said after the game.

Van Hancock said funeral arrangements are pending, and in part depending on how her son fares in the tryouts.

Archived