Forum Mock Draft 2.0 Selection Thread -- Packers (VBurfict55) are on the clock

The Panthers have needs all over.  The interior OL was a mess, once Kalil went down it was apparent the next 3 interior OL guys are borderline NFL players, including last year's second round pick Amini Silatolu.  But they are stunned to find neither of the top two guards left at pick 14.  With $70 Mil committed to Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert, as well as a substantial investment in Cam Newton it is imperative they upgrade the offensive line and establish their identity as a run heavy team early in 2013...but that won't happen in Round 1 as the only offensive linemen worth taking in the top 14 are already gone.  A WR who can help them win now as well as be "The Guy" when Steve Smith retires is also a need, but I think they like Brandon LaFell and will add complimentary skill players later.

Their next most pressing needs are interior DL and secondary.  They have a quality pair of DE's but Dwan Edwards is their best guy in the middle and that's not saying much.  Sheldon Richardson is in serious consideration here but I think Ron Rivera is more concerned with stopping Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez and the rest of the high flying NFCS.  So to bolster their secondary, while keeping this mock both unconventional and realistic, the Panthers select:

S, Kenny Vaccaro from Texas.

The Panthers have needs all over.  The interior OL was a mess, once Kalil went down it was apparent the next 3 interior OL guys are borderline NFL players, including last year's second round pick Amini Silatolu.  But they are stunned to find neither of the top two guards left at pick 14.  With $70 Mil committed to Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert, as well as a substantial investment in Cam Newton it is imperative they upgrade the offensive line and establish their identity as a run heavy team early in 2013...but that won't happen in Round 1 as the only offensive linemen worth taking in the top 14 are already gone.  A WR who can help them win now as well as be "The Guy" when Steve Smith retires is also a need, but I think they like Brandon LaFell and will add complimentary skill players later.

Their next most pressing needs are interior DL and secondary.  They have a quality pair of DE's but Dwan Edwards is their best guy in the middle and that's not saying much.  Sheldon Richardson is in serious consideration here but I think Ron Rivera is more concerned with stopping Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez and the rest of the high flying NFCS.  So to bolster their secondary, while keeping this mock both unconventional and realistic, the Panthers select:

S, Kenny Vaccaro from Texas.

Booo

Here is an update on the last draft as our pick closes in.

30. Falcons (FulcherVulcher33) - DE Alex Okafor, Texas

2nd Round
34. 49ers from Chiefs (JC) - DE Margus Hunt, SMU
36. Lions (spicoli) - OLB Khaseem Greene, Rutgers
39. Jets (Numbers) - WR Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech
42. Dolphins (Jamie_B ) - WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
43. Buccaneers (kennethmw) - OLB Chase Thomas, Stanford
45. Chargers (ButchWalkerRokks) - CB Darius Slay, Mississippi State
47. Cowboys (JBandJoeyV) - OL Barrett Jones, Alabama
48. Steelers (Dr Tarzan) - RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
50. Bears (Marvin) - OT Terron Armstead, Arkansas Pine Bluff
53. Bengals (voting on pick) - RB Jonathan Franklin, UCLA
54. Dolphins from Colts (Jamie_B ) - CB Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana
55. Packers (VBurfict55) - RB Andre Ellington, Clemson

62. Ravens (Le Tigre) - S Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse

Alec Ogletree and Jarvis Jones still available. Do they draft the Georgia LB with the drinking issue or the Georgia LB with the neck issue?

I wouldn't touch Jones. He's a bad fit in a 4-3 at OLB and way undersized for a 4-3 end. Not to mention the whole spinal stenosis thing.

I have no idea who I'd pick in this scenario. Maybe Arthur Brown since we still haven't signed Howard? I'm still confident Smith will be in the fold and this is too early for Watson IMO. Sounds like Cyprien is rated right behind Vaccaro so it wouldn't shock me if he was the pick. Or Elam.

I wouldn't touch Jones. He's a bad fit in a 4-3 at OLB and way undersized for a 4-3 end. Not to mention the whole spinal stenosis thing.

I have no idea who I'd pick in this scenario. Maybe Arthur Brown since we still haven't signed Howard? I'm still confident Smith will be in the fold and this is too early for Watson IMO. Sounds like Cyprien is rated right behind Vaccaro so it wouldn't shock me if he was the pick. Or Elam.

According to Mayock he's a better fit as a 4-3 LB than he is a 3-4 LB.  

According to Mayock he's a better fit as a 4-3 LB than he is a 3-4 LB.  

I don't see how anyone can think that. He was a pass rusher only in college. Bad change of direction skills. Basically his only skill in rushing the QB. He was supposedly a great athlete but tested awfully. He tested just about as poorly as an out of shape Burfict did. Is Jones not in shape or just not a good natural athete? I don't see why any 4-3 team would draft him to be an OLB when that severely limits him from doing the 1 thing he is really good at.

I don't see how anyone can think that. He was a pass rusher only in college. Bad change of direction skills. Basically his only skill in rushing the QB. He was supposedly a great athlete but tested awfully. He tested just about as poorly as an out of shape Burfict did. Is Jones not in shape or just not a good natural athete? I don't see why any 4-3 team would draft him to be an OLB when that severely limits him from doing the 1 thing he is really good at.

The same argument was made about Von Miller. That really backfired for the Broncos didn't it?

Archived