russ lande's top 200

i've followed russ for a few years (sporting news) and while i don't always agree with his opinions, i do respect that as a former scout he brings an outlook to the table i generally don't otherwise get. agree or disagree, it's an interesting read in this slack period.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-TOP-200-Version-100.html

I saw these rankings yesterday and also have a problem with a bunch of them. Elam at 140, Vacarro as high as 5, Lemonier in the top 30, Sanders Commings at 40, Dobson over Hunter, etc...

I'd be curious of his rationales.

i found this paragraph, that he prefaced it with interesting.

Now that the calendar has flipped to April, nearly all of the 32 NFL teams have begun or are about to begin their final draft meetings.  While the stock of some players will fluctuate north or south for a variety of reasons, the reality is that most draft boards are not going to change drastically between now and the draft.  We have adjusted a number of players based on information obtained and many others based on having cross-checked them.  Take a look at the list below and see where your favorite or least favorite player now ranks.

surely, some of those rankings are off the mark. yet there are players every year that drop like rocks, almost without explanation, while the draft's in process. maybe some of these questionably low rankings are too severe, quite likely that's the case i'd think. but then again, maybe there's some things we just don't know that insiders do. that's why i found it so interesting.

A stranger in a strange Lande mock.

21 - DeAndre Hopkins, WR - Clemson #22

37 - D.J. Fluker, ORT- Alabama #42

53 - Jarvis Jones, OLB - Georgia #58

84 - Eddie Lacy, RB - Alabama #90

118 - D.J. Swearinger, FS - South Carolina # 121

156 - Robert Lester, SS - Alabama #159

190 - Devonte Holloman, OLB - South Carolina #195

197 - D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers #198

I wouldn't double dip at safety, but that draft would be amazing.

I've never been a fan of Lande, but there's no question that some guys who "conventional thinking" says will get picked high will drop, and vice-versa. Happens every year.

I'm sure some of this will be accurate. That said, there are some listed that don't make a lot of sense to me (Nassib, for one), but I'm sure that there are also some that are more accurate than I would believe. I could see Patterson going later, because of limited production/experience... or Jarvis Jones, given how he's worked out, although he was really productive at Georgia.

It's always interesting to read this kind of stuff, especially this kind of year.

good one!

I've never been a fan of Lande, but there's no question that some guys who "conventional thinking" says will get picked high will drop, and vice-versa. Happens every year.

I'm sure some of this will be accurate. That said, there are some listed that don't make a lot of sense to me (Nassib, for one), but I'm sure that there are also some that are more accurate than I would believe. I could see Patterson going later, because of limited production/experience... or Jarvis Jones, given how he's worked out, although he was really productive at Georgia.

It's always interesting to read this kind of stuff, especially this kind of year.

yeah tex, that's what i was getting at with this thread.

I know guys like McShay and Kiper and a few others have said in the past that some of their rankings and mock drafts are based off what they're hearing from teams rather than what they actually believe. A guy like Lande is doing his rankings just off what he sees after his evaluation and not using any info from teams into his rankings. I think that is why there is a difference in some of his rankings.

A guy like Lande is doing his rankings just off what he sees after his evaluation and not using any info from teams into his rankings. I think that is why there is a difference in some of his rankings.

We have adjusted a number of players based on information obtained and many others based on having cross-checked them.

he's expressing there are two parts involved in acquiring his evaluations, there....inside sources (he's a former scout) and their own cross-checking ( they being him and wes bunting). so unless he's lying, you'd appear to be wrong in this assumption.

Does anyone know if this guy knows what he's talking about?

Regardless, the mock was fun so I looked deeper.

Lande turns most RB rankings on their heads. Bernard, Ellington, Ball...(dropoff)...Randle, Taylor, Lacy, Franklin, Harper, Gillislee, Johnson. 

WR rankings were flipped too. Allen, Austin, Hopkins, Patton, Woods, Patterson, Bailey, Dobson, C.Harper...(dropoff)...Hunter

Lande's seven highest safeties are FS. Vaccaro, Cyprien...(dropoff)...Reid, Evans...(dropoff)...Slaughter, Swearinger, Rambo. 

Lande's highest ranked SS, Phillip Thomas, has a 4th round grade....as does Matt Elam. Lester and McDonald next group.

The LB ranks look normal save for a few exceptions. Lande likes Lemonier and Alonso more than most, but he's down on Minter. Anyways, a top ten of Jordan, Mingo, Lemonier, Ogletree, Brown, Te'o, Alonso, Jenkins, Jones, Minter.

Last, Lande's rankings at OT imply a team better shop early. Fisher, Joeckle...(dropoff)...Johnston, Watson, Pugh, Fluker...(dropoff)...Armstead...(dropoff)...Faulk...(dropoff)...Williams, Aboushi. 

We have adjusted a number of players based on information obtained and many others based on having cross-checked them.

he's expressing there are two parts involved in acquiring his evaluations, there....inside sources (he's a former scout) and their own cross-checking ( they being him and wes bunting). so unless he's lying, you'd appear to be wrong in this assumption.

I probably should of read the paragraph  :whistle: . 

I will play also

21- Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma
37- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee
53- Jarvis Jones, LB Georgia
84- Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama
118- Matt Elam, S Florida
156- Travis Kelce, TE Cincinnati
190- Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
197- Keith Pough LB, Howard

You get a solid haul on D with Elam at Safety and 2 pretty good LBers.

The offensive haul would be ridiculous with a big time OT and tons of skill position talent.

Archived