Second to last mock for 2013 - with a trade down

Sign a free agent RT, be it Andre (preferred) or Winston or Clabo.
Do not get Harrison or Dansby.
Trade down with Atlanta to 30 and get a 3rd round pick.

1. Eric Reid, S, LSU
2. Jamie Collins, OLB, S. Miss
2. Gio Bernard, RB, UNC
3. DaRick Rogers, WR, T. Tech
3. Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU
4. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU
5. Sanders Commings, DB, UGa
6. Eric Herman, G, Ohio
6. Jonathan Stewart, ILB aTm
7. Knile Davis, RB, Ark
7. Kwame Geathers, DT, UGa

I can take that. Not a big Collins fan though. He belongs in a 3-4. He's shaky in coverage. He's best suited in a pass rushing role.

He has played Safety, so I think he can eventually figure it out.

He has played Safety, so I think he can eventually figure it out.

"Eventually figure it out" is not the kind of guy I would take with the 2a pick. That early in the draft, I would rather have someone who's plug and play from the get go. Anyway, Collins is a 3rd rounder at best.

1. Eric Reid, S, LSU
2. Gio Bernard, RB, UNC
4. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU
6. Eric Herman, G, Ohio
7. Knile Davis, RB, Ark

That would be some haul.  I'd give up the last 4 picks after getting the first 7 you got for that draft, just because, well, that would be something.

Also, a note:  switch your Jamie Collins and Gio Picks around and everyone who thinks they know where people should go will suddenly be less offended :)

1. Eric Reid, S, LSU
2. Gio Bernard, RB, UNC
4. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU
6. Eric Herman, G, Ohio
7. Knile Davis, RB, Ark

I would put Gio Bernard at 2a, and then have Sio Moore at 2b. With those changes this would be a great draft.

The last thing I'm going to say about Jamie Collins is this:

Who have we relentlessly be searching for in the LB corps?  A SLB who can pass rush.  Since back to the days of Pollack, and going forward, we keep trying to find that guy.  

We tried MJ there, drafted Moch, signed Manny Lawson (and now Aaron Maybin).  In the same time frame, we've been VERY lax about pursuing WLB's.  I'm not saying we don't have a need there, just that it's clear that this team is looking for a LB who can also serve as an edge rusher.  

The last thing I'm going to say about Jamie Collins is this:

Who have we relentlessly be searching for in the LB corps?  A SLB who can pass rush.  Since back to the days of Pollack, and going forward, we keep trying to find that guy.  

We tried MJ there, drafted Moch, signed Manny Lawson (and now Aaron Maybin).  In the same time frame, we've been VERY lax about pursuing WLB's.  I'm not saying we don't have a need there, just that it's clear that this team is looking for a LB who can also serve as an edge rusher.  

I don't know that I'd say relentlessly.  Since Pollack they haven't put much effort into it, and its a different league than when they drafted pollack.

The reality is, no matter where he's worked, Zimmer has never blitzed his LB's much.  I wonder if a guy like Harrison is more Marvin's doing than Zimmer's.

I don't know that I'd say relentlessly.  Since Pollack they haven't put much effort into it, and its a different league than when they drafted pollack.

The reality is, no matter where he's worked, Zimmer has never blitzed his LB's much.  I wonder if a guy like Harrison is more Marvin's doing than Zimmer's.

Could that be because he's never had a linebacker that was good at blitzing or is it just his philosophy?

Could that be because he's never had a linebacker that was good at blitzing or is it just his philosophy?

That's what I'd like to know.  I look at the same history and think that the ARE looking for that guy.  Nothing really makes that point better than our recent acquisition of Harrison.

Archived