Sois' 2013 Awesome Mock Draft Great Job!

sois

Grade  

3 members have voted

1. 1. So... what do you think of this draft? (Be Honest)

Hello guys, it's time for my annual mock draft.  I didn't watch a lot of college football this season, so this mock might suck.  Probably not though, since I'm doing it.  This season I have attached my Excel sheet.  It helps me.  

First, a review of last year:  2012 Mock

I mean, that's pretty much an A+.  Janoris is a stud, Cordy Glenn and Lavonte David were instant starters, Robert Turbin is going to break out this season, Jake Bequette will probably catch a touchdown pass on offense this season.  Pretty much I'm a genius.  

On to this year:

1.  Kenny Vaccaro (S, Texas) - I don't know anything about safeties.  I know the Bengals need one.  Other than Reggie Nelson, all they have back there sucks.  Reggie isn't getting any younger either.  Might as well get the best one.  I don't really care if it's Vacarro, Elam, Cyprien.. etc.  Whoever is highest rated, get them.  Boring.  

2.  Arthur Brown (LB, Kansas State) - 2013 is set for LB, but there are long term questions.  I still think Burfict is eventually taking over the MLB job.  Therefore, Maualuga and Harrison must be replaced at some point.  Arthur Brown is a stud.  He always made plays for K-State.  He has good instincts.  I love his abilities.  I really would attempt a backflip if they got Brown. 

2.  Barrett Jones (G/C, Alabama) - Cook and Robinson are servicable, Wharton is old and coming off injury and I'm still not sold on Boling.  Might as well take one of the best interior OL dudes from college football here.  I know he's hurt and that probably helps him slide this far.  He doesn't need to start, he needs to be flexible, which is exactly what he brings to a team.  I would be happy with him at all three backup interior OL spots.  If one of the starters goes down or sucks, I would be confident in him stepping up to start.  No-brainer if available.  

3.  Landry Jones (QB, Oklahoma) - Give him #9 and you would swear he is Carson Palmer.  He has lots of experience in big games and is a calm guy with a huge arm.  All the Bengals backups are crap, and Jones may be the BPA if he is available here.  He will be the best QB out of all the crappy QBs in this draft.  

4.  Christine Michael (RB, Texas A&M) - Supreme athlete, but kind of a d-bag, from what I have read.  I know he can make plays.  He is hard to tackle, is fast and strong.  Physically, he is awesome, but he would be work a risk for the Bengals.  I hate all of the Bengals RBs.  They need a talent injection.  High upside, low risk in the 4th, if he sucks, cut him.

5.  Lawrence Okoye (DT, England) - So I kinda have been vocal about not liking Peko anymore.  He may be a leader, but he isn't dynamic in anyway.  I don't mind his lunch pail-ness, but eventually, he will need to be replaced.  Why not go with another good guy type?  Okoye is a project and that's ok by me.  Just let him learn, when Peko's contract is over next season, he may be ready to contribute.  The Bengals are good enough this year to take chances on guys with high upside.  They don't need any contributors on the DL so long term investments like Okoye are not detrimental. 

6.  Devin Taylor (DE, South Carolina) - This is the guy I really like.  He was overshadowed by Jadaveon Clowney, but he was good too.  He is built like MJ, so if a long term deal can't be worked out, the Bengals would have a virtual clone on the roster.  I like these super long and tall DE.  At first I thought they were wimpy, but they can get great leverage on an OL.  This guy is fast, has long arms and will be a good spot player eventually.  

6.  Tyrone Goard (WR, Eastern Kentucky) - I'm still not over Chris Henry.  I know AJ is built the same way, but the Bengals need one dude to simply burn down the field a few times a game.  I actually love the Bengals WRs.  I don't think the need anything but time.  Goard could fit in nicely as a specialized weapon.  

7.  Knile Davis (RB, Arkansas) - So if Michael doesn't work out, you have Knile Davis on hand.  This guy is a stud.  He has battled some injuries recently, but at one time, he was the best RB in the SEC.  He has speed and he has proven he can handle a workload.  I don't like to ding dudes based on injuries.  It's too random.  See Leon and JJ.  For the draft, all it does it create value like Davis in the 7th.

7.  LaAdrian Waddle (OT, Texas Tech) - Texas Tech OL get plenty of reps in pass protection, so I think he would be a good late round guy to stash.  He was the leader of the OL for three years, and has started a ton of games.  He's a little fat, so either get him on a good workout program or move him inside.  I think he's got the ability to play RT.  He's a good run blocker from what I've seen.  I don't know how he will handle the faster NFL DL though.  That's why I think RT would be a good spot.  

2011 Mock

2010 Mock

Hello guys, it's time for my annual mock draft.  I didn't watch a lot of college football this season, so this mock might suck.  Probably not though, since I'm doing it.  This season I have attached my Excel sheet.  It helps me.  

First, a review of last year:  2012 Mock

I mean, that's pretty much an A+.  Janoris is a stud, Cordy Glenn and Lavonte David were instant starters, Robert Turbin is going to break out this season, Jake Bequette will probably catch a touchdown pass on offense this season.  Pretty much I'm a genius.  

On to this year:

1.  Kenny Vaccaro (S, Texas) - I don't know anything about safeties.  I know the Bengals need one.  Other than Reggie Nelson, all they have back there sucks.  Reggie isn't getting any younger either.  Might as well get the best one.  I don't really care if it's Vacarro, Elam, Cyprien.. etc.  Whoever is highest rated, get them.  Boring.  

2.  Arthur Brown (LB, Kansas State) - 2013 is set for LB, but there are long term questions.  I still think Burfict is eventually taking over the MLB job.  Therefore, Maualuga and Harrison must be replaced at some point.  Arthur Brown is a stud.  He always made plays for K-State.  He has good instincts.  I love his abilities.  I really would attempt a backflip if they got Brown. 

2.  Barrett Jones (G/C, Alabama) - Cook and Robinson are servicable, Wharton is old and coming off injury and I'm still not sold on Boling.  Might as well take one of the best interior OL dudes from college football here.  I know he's hurt and that probably helps him slide this far.  He doesn't need to start, he needs to be flexible, which is exactly what he brings to a team.  I would be happy with him at all three backup interior OL spots.  If one of the starters goes down or sucks, I would be confident in him stepping up to start.  No-brainer if available.  

3.  Landry Jones (QB, Oklahoma) - Give him #9 and you would swear he is Carson Palmer.  He has lots of experience in big games and is a calm guy with a huge arm.  All the Bengals backups are crap, and Jones may be the BPA if he is available here.  He will be the best QB out of all the crappy QBs in this draft.  

4.  Christine Michael (RB, Texas A&M) - Supreme athlete, but kind of a d-bag, from what I have read.  I know he can make plays.  He is hard to tackle, is fast and strong.  Physically, he is awesome, but he would be work a risk for the Bengals.  I hate all of the Bengals RBs.  They need a talent injection.  High upside, low risk in the 4th, if he sucks, cut him.

5.  Lawrence Okoye (DT, England) - So I kinda have been vocal about not liking Peko anymore.  He may be a leader, but he isn't dynamic in anyway.  I don't mind his lunch pail-ness, but eventually, he will need to be replaced.  Why not go with another good guy type?  Okoye is a project and that's ok by me.  Just let him learn, when Peko's contract is over next season, he may be ready to contribute.  The Bengals are good enough this year to take chances on guys with high upside.  They don't need any contributors on the DL so long term investments like Okoye are not detrimental. 

6.  Devin Taylor (DE, South Carolina) - This is the guy I really like.  He was overshadowed by Jadaveon Clowney, but he was good too.  He is built like MJ, so if a long term deal can't be worked out, the Bengals would have a virtual clone on the roster.  I like these super long and tall DE.  At first I thought they were wimpy, but they can get great leverage on an OL.  This guy is fast, has long arms and will be a good spot player eventually.  

6.  Tyrone Goard (WR, Eastern Kentucky) - I'm still not over Chris Henry.  I know AJ is built the same way, but the Bengals need one dude to simply burn down the field a few times a game.  I actually love the Bengals WRs.  I don't think the need anything but time.  Goard could fit in nicely as a specialized weapon.  

7.  Knile Davis (RB, Arkansas) - So if Michael doesn't work out, you have Knile Davis on hand.  This guy is a stud.  He has battled some injuries recently, but at one time, he was the best RB in the SEC.  He has speed and he has proven he can handle a workload.  I don't like to ding dudes based on injuries.  It's too random.  See Leon and JJ.  For the draft, all it does it create value like Davis in the 7th.

7.  LaAdrian Waddle (OT, Texas Tech) - Texas Tech OL get plenty of reps in pass protection, so I think he would be a good late round guy to stash.  He was the leader of the OL for three years, and has started a ton of games.  He's a little fat, so either get him on a good workout program or move him inside.  I think he's got the ability to play RT.  He's a good run blocker from what I've seen.  I don't know how he will handle the faster NFL DL though.  That's why I think RT would be a good spot.  

2011 Mock

2010 Mock

Ok, I play along...the first two picks are good, although I don't know if Brown will be around but if so then that's a no-brainer.

The Jones boys(Barrett and Landry) and Michael are blah...taking backups with your 2nd and 3rd round picks are not what I would do.

Other than S, where are the Bengals in dire need for a starter?

that's the interesting thing and typical of how they handle the first round.  I don't think its been since Carson that they drafted a guy in the first round who they didn't expect to start from day one.  

Odds are at this point it will be a safety. I wouldn't rule out Brown even though you have him in the 2nd.  I'm not convinced he makes it to 21. 

I also wouldn't rule out Eifert or a WR if they felt it was BPA. 

I would say RB or OT, but I don't know if there is a RB rated high enough to take at #21.

I just don't think drafting a backup center/guard and qb when you have starters and quality depth at both positions. Is Barrett Jones better than Cook or Robinson, I can't say yes to that. Is Landry Jones better than John Skelton, again I can't say yes to that either.  Besides unless Dalton gets hurt he's going to be the guy here for a long time, so taking a qb with the 3rd pick is waste, imo.

I would take a OT before I would draft a interior lineman. With guys like Cook, Robinson, Boling, Zeitler, Wharton, and Pollack on the roster I don't think using a second round pick on another G/C is a good move...but that's just me.

I would say RB or OT, but I don't know if there is a RB rated high enough to take at #21.

I just don't think drafting a backup center/guard and qb when you have starters and quality depth at both positions. Is Barrett Jones better than Cook or Robinson, I can't say yes to that. Is Landry Jones better than John Skelton, again I can't say yes to that either.  Besides unless Dalton gets hurt he's going to be the guy here for a long time, so taking a qb with the 3rd pick is waste, imo.

I would take a OT before I would draft a interior lineman. With guys like Cook, Robinson, Boling, Zeitler, Wharton, and Pollack on the roster I don't think using a second round pick on another G/C is a good move...but that's just me.

I'll be shocked if an interior linemen is taken in this draft. Jones wouldn't be awful because he could potentially play some tackle, but I wouldn't do it in the 2nd round. Too many other players who can make bigger impacts on the team.  There's nothing wrong with cook or robinson, and now they have pollak too.  Plus zeitler and Boling can play center.

taking backups with your 2nd and 3rd round picks are not what I would do.

Exactly.  Even at LB we are now not likely looking at taking anyone who would be a plug-and-play guy - because even if that guy had greater talent he'd be given some time to learn the ropes. 

So we are looking at drafting backups/depth across the board (which is not to say we won't be taking "starter quality).  So where do you take guys?

(this obviously assumes we re-sign Andre)

IMO, this goes right back to the discussion of either where you want to take role-players who will see time and/or areas where if you lose a #1 guy you are in deep shit.

For me that's RB#2, DE, WR (what happens if Dre goes down) LB and CB.  A case could also be made for taking 2 Safeties.

Vaccaro is great if he's there, I just don't think he will be.

Brown is a good player, but between Burfict, Lamur, and possibly re-signing Howard I just don't see them drafting a WLB early.

If they draft an OL in the first 2 rounds I think it will be at RT.  Unless Cooper or Warmack takes a slide and they stay true to their board.

A little early for a backup QB, especially after adding Skelton who I think has a very similar skill set.

Great pick.  If he keeps his head on straight I think he could be the best RB in this draft.  But will the Bengals pull the trigger?  Will he even last that long?

Davis at 7 is good by me.

The rest is ok.

I'm guessing you're in Sales... love the title, and the choices we're given! 

Some good names there. I really like Devin Taylor, and if he's there in the 6th round, I'd be all over that. I'm guessing he'll go a few rounds earlier, but we'll find out. 

I do think Michael is very talented, I just think he's a diva that the Bengals can do without. 

I'll give it a "with distinction" - but I can't give it a Magna Cum Laude or an A+. Speaking of, when I went to U-Michigan for some of my schooling, they had a really strange grading system. Instead of 4.0 being the highest, it was a 9-point scale, with that being an A+, 8.0 being an A, 7.0 was an A-, etc. In grad school, you had to  graduate with at least a 5.0 (B) average, and if you got a B- in a class (4.0), that was a terrible grade. But good news was, I could tell my friends back home that I was pulling a 4.0, and no one was the wiser. :)

I still think we get Andre done before the draft, even so I dont like the Barret Jones pick, they are settled at Center with two guys who can play the spot, and I thought Boling played much better than he did as a rookie and am willing to see where he takes us this year. Give me a RB in that spot and you can use the 4th rounder you took the RB at for a backup tackle if only to get Roland off the team. There is also zero chance we take a DT so I may add another LB for depth, but other than that I dont hate it.

Archived