With the 21st pick the Bengals select Tyler Eifert

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Pick

• Yes
    • No

What TE in the league would you compare Eifert too?

What about Gresham?

Did we just draft a better Owen Daniels when we already had a poor man's Vernon Davis?

I dont know the answer to your questions, but if you put vernon davis and owen daniels on the field at the same time it would probably be better tough to stop. 

What about Gresham?

Did we just draft a better Owen Daniels when we already had a poor man's Vernon Davis?

he's probably the best TE to come out since Davis, if that helps. Maybe toss Jimmy Graham in there too, but Graham was very raw coming out.  Eifert is much more polished.

I didn't figure the Smith pick affected this much, but what about Charles? Sure, he wasn't drafted as high, but regardless... we drafted him, and quite a few have felt positive about his potential role. Eifert can def. add a dynamic to the offense, but I wasn't really seeing the need. As is my attitude most times: we'll see.

I agree. Not sure I like this pick. Also not sure whom else we would have picked here with Vaccaro and Reid gone (Lacy?). Anyway, welcome aboard new TE threat. Please don't be another Chase Coffman.

What about Gresham?

He's not as fast, but I'd say he is very similar to Jason Witten. Witten was a solid, not great blocker coming out... but an excellent receiver. Over time, he became more of a blocker.

Very reliable, great hands, very good route runner, end zone threat. Team guy.

He's not as fast, but I'd say he is very similar to Jason Witten. Witten was a solid, not great blocker coming out... but an excellent receiver. Over time, he became more of a blocker.

Very reliable, great hands, very good route runner, end zone threat. Team guy.

Give me some of those totally unsexy first down catches that the TEs in the division seem to get.  Let the other guys get the glory.

A couple interesting comparisons regarding Eifert and his athleticism, all numbers from the combine:

AJ Green: 4.50 forty, 34.5 vertical, 4.21 shuttle, 3 cone 6.91
Ty Eifert: 4.68 forty, 35.5 vertical, 4.32 shuttle, 3 cone 6.92
Mo Sanu: 4.67 forty, 36.0 vertical, 4.22 shuttle, 3 cone 6.88

Also,

Green: 6'4, 211
Eifert: 6'6, 251
Sanu: 6'2, 211

He compares pretty favorably in terms of speed, quickness, leaping ability, etc. to our top 2 WRs. There is no reason that we can't use him outside pretty regularly. He should be smart enough to learn all of the positions and line up as inline TE, in the slot, and out wide. Just move all of our offensive weapons all around.

Now if we can add a RB who is a dangerous weapon out of the backfield like Bernard or Franklin, we could really have a nice set of skill position guys on offense.

I am very happy with the Eifert pick. Not only is he an outstanding player, he gives the Bengals one of the NFL's deepest TE corps. Als o, I am very pleased the Bengals stuck to their board and took the BPA

right now, and he and Gresham will be a great asset to our O with a creative OC like Gruden.

Dave Lapham must have known that the Bengals were very high on Eifert, since he tossed out his name several times when discussing who the Bengals might take at 21. I suspect that Eifert's epic pro day workout by Coach Hayes may have sealed the day as far as the Bengals were concerned.

So, do you think its still possible we get Cyprien at 37? If not, I could see the Bengals taking TJ McDonald in Rd 3 or 4. A real sleeper might be David Amerson in Rd 2 or 3. The guy is a ball-hawking CB with good size,excellent wheels, and a hard nose who some think might be a top S in the NFL.

Very smart pick.  A playmaker, big, fast, strong guy with elite intangiibles, instincts, character.  The defense was ranked 7, offense?  Last 4 or 5 games of the year were ugly from an offensive standpoint.  You add to that weak unit without reaching for a player.  I was VERY worried Chicago was going to pick Eifert. 

So, do you think its still possible we get Cyprien at 37? If not, I could see the Bengals taking TJ McDonald in Rd 3 or 4. A real sleeper might be David Amerson in Rd 2 or 3. The guy is a ball-hawking CB with good size,excellent wheels, and a hard nose who some think might be a top S in the NFL.

In another thread they were looking at who picks before us.  Hard to see even one RB or S going there, barring trades.  If we have three we like there, we should get somebody quite good.

The more film I watch on this guy the better I think the pick is. He goes up gets contested catches and has good hands. He looks to play well in the redzone which I think is key for this team. And honestly I think if gresham (as much as I love him) caught a few more balls in the playoff game we beat houston. I originaly voted no on the pick but he seems to be a quality starter and a great selection at 21 with the run on OT's. I feel alot better about our ability to score in the redzone now with him, gresh, aj and sanu. He seems to have a great nack for getting verticle and comming down with the ball just like aj green but plays TE (and is heavier). He has the same kind of leaping ability that made AJ such a great asset to this team. I am very very excited to see a  TE formation on the field this comming year now. We still need to adress our weakness at S in the second round. We dont have a marque RT unless Adre resigns which I hope he does. If we take a rb with 2b we should cutt scott in camp then head into the season with BJE Draft pick and peerman hopefully. I dont see us keeping 4 running backs. Andy dalton is going to have to step up though with the weapons we surround him with. Its kind of make or break for him with AJ sanu and 2 first round TE's. But I have faith in him to pilot us to our first super bowl in 30 years with a top 10 defense and the O we are shaping up around him.

I think if we end up having a hole at RT-WR2(might not matter as much)-RB2-MLB or S this pick won't look great.

This is why you sign a Kerry Rhodes or Tyson Clabo after the draft. The Bengals have been smart enough to pay due diligence in getting solid FA's in for visits prior to draft (namely Rhodes) who are solid vets who can upgrade the roster and fill holes anyway.

Stop comparing this pick to Coffman!  This guy was mocked in the teens in nearly every mock draft.  Look at the statistics happyrid posted and it will be easier to understand why comparing this guy to Coffman is silly!

A couple interesting comparisons regarding Eifert and his athleticism, all numbers from the combine:

AJ Green: 4.50 forty, 34.5 vertical, 4.21 shuttle, 3 cone 6.91
Ty Eifert: 4.68 forty, 35.5 vertical, 4.32 shuttle, 3 cone 6.92
Mo Sanu: 4.67 forty, 36.0 vertical, 4.22 shuttle, 3 cone 6.88

Also,

Green: 6'4, 211
Eifert: 6'6, 251
Sanu: 6'2, 211

He compares pretty favorably in terms of speed, quickness, leaping ability, etc. to our top 2 WRs. There is no reason that we can't use him outside pretty regularly. He should be smart enough to learn all of the positions and line up as inline TE, in the slot, and out wide. Just move all of our offensive weapons all around.

Now if we can add a RB who is a dangerous weapon out of the backfield like Bernard or Franklin, we could really have a nice set of skill position guys on offense.

This Pick is definitely growing on me the more I think about it. It allows us to disguise if we are running a pass or a run play since we can do both from the same formation making it tougher to defend and also allows Andy to change the play at the line of scrimmage to something more favorable given what the defense is showing.

I expect a lot more play changes at the line of scrimmage and probably more hurry up offense this season as we can basically target any weapon we want from the same base formation. WHODEY!

LOL at the posts I'm reading inthis thread from some people.

10 catches all season, hahahaha. He'll probably have 10 catches in 1 game.

Michael Weston, stop posting seriously you're a tard, go fix your trailers toilet.

You are getting super creepy. Can someone ban this guy?

I'd be very happy with Jason Witten2. I am not sure I would be as happy with Heath Miller2 or Greg Olsen2. The 2nd two seem like very solid guys but the type that you can get in later rounds of the draft (although I think both were first rounders)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664437/tyler-eifert

Stop comparing this pick to Coffman!  This guy was mocked in the teens in nearly every mock draft.  Look at the statistics happyrid posted and it will be easier to understand why comparing this guy to Coffman is silly!

Well he is white and he is a TE....so he must be just like Coffman.  #sarcasm

I'd be very happy with Jason Witten2. I am not sure I would be as happy with Heath Miller2 or Greg Olsen2. The 2nd two seem like very solid guys but the type that you can get in later rounds of the draft (although I think both were first rounders)

If you think back on how many times the team thought about a mid-round TE but had someone snatch him first you wouldn't be so sure that they are so easy to draft.  Anything like either of those 2 would be a fine result for this pick.

Like it.

Best player available and a good one.

I was saying that the Bengals would take the

best available wide receiver and was almost right.

Looks like they got the best available receiver.

Gives them some flexibility and options this year

but I think Gresham may be on the way out.

Can't see them keeping two high priced tight ends.

Hope they can get something for him.

Charles isn't too shabby as a second tight end to

either of them.

Rounds two and three will make their draft.

But good pick.

I'd love to know what percentage of his catches went for a first down or TD. These are all highlight vids so its tough to tell but it seemed like in the last video every one if them was either a first down or TD. Very impressive how he fights for the ball and goes and gets it. Love the pick.

Archived