Who do you want on day 2?

Lewis surprised no RBs taken yet...I think this will be RB day

what could that mean? if he's not just talking crazy talk, the only real candidate for a surprise would be eddie lacy. he's the only RB that was a 1st round consideration.

is lewis saying he's surprised lacy's available? stay tuned!

Wonder where Lacy will end up. I'd take him now that we have Bernard. Overkill, yeah, but we'd have some great depth there.

The longer this goes on, the more likely it is for Crocker to make it back.

Who we taking in the 3rd fellas?

That was quick.

CINCINNATI BENGALS 

Second round: 37. RB Giovani Bernard, North Carolina. Bernard provides the speed and playmaking ability that the Bengals wanted to add this year. He is also an effective receiver. Bernard is a sudden change of pace compared toBenJarvus Green-Ellis

Second round: 53. DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist. Even though the Bengals have depth on the defensive line, they couldn't pass up this freak athlete from Estonia. He's a developmental value pick who will make an immediate impact on special teams, especially in blocking kicks. 

Third round: 84. SS Shawn Williams, Georgia. The Bengals waited until the third round to address safety, and it's unknown if Williams can fill the void at strong safety. He's an in-the-box defender who is strong and durable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69470/afc-north-second-and-third-round-recap

The Cincinnati Bengals' deep defensive line added another intriguing -- and international -- talent. The Bengals used their second second-round pick on Southern Methodist defensive end Margus Hunt, a 6-foot-8 native of Estonia. 

He's a 25-year-old rookie who is a world-class discus thrower and workout dynamo. Hunt’s measurables are jaw-dropping: a 4.6-second time in the 40-yard dash, 38 bench reps of 225 pounds and an 82-inch wingspan. Both his 40 time and bench performance put him in the top five among defensive linemen in the past five combines. 

This is from Scouts Inc.: massive frame with long arms to keep OL off his pads (when hands are used properly). Impressive straight-line closing burst to track quarterbacks down from behind. Exceptional value on special teams because of his kick-blocking skills. Those skills will translate to the NFL. 

From ESPN Stats & Information: His average sack took 2.36 seconds from snap to sack, fastest among BCS front-seven prospects rated 80 or higher by Scouts Inc. with multiple first-contact sacks. 

Let's see how the Bengals will use Hunt on what is already one of the most talented defensive fronts in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69442/bengals-go-international-in-second-round

Some might be surprised that the Bengals chose Bernard over Alabama's Eddie Lacy, who had been the top-rated back by many draft experts. But there was a report last month that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis showed particular interest in Bernard's pro-day workout. 

The Bengals are looking to get more catches out of their receivers, and Bernard is an effective pass catcher. He has good focus and hands, which helped him catch 92 passes over his final two seasons with the Tar Heels.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69419/bengals-re-sign-smith-draft-running-back

• draft13-rd3--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Round 3 Press Conference (4/26/13)
    (6:03) By Bengals.com - Posted 16 minutes ago

Head coach Marvin Lewis and defensive backs coach Mark Carrier talk about the selection of Georgia safety Shawn Williams in the third round.

• draft13-rd2b--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Round 2b Press Conference (4/26/13)
    (15:34) By Bengals.com - Posted 1 hour ago

Head coach Marvin Lewis, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and defensive line coach Jay Hayes marvel at the athletic skills of second-round pick Margus Hunt.

• 0ap2000000164485_video_player_cp--nfl_th
    Podium: Bengals draft Hunt (4/26/13)
    (1:25) By NFL.com - Posted 2 hours ago

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted Southern Methodist DE Margus Hunt with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

• 0ap2000000164421_video_player_cp--nfl_th
    Podium: Bengals draft Bernard (4/26/13)
    (1:53) By NFL.com - Posted 2 hours ago

The Cincinnati Bengals drafted North Carolina RB Giovani Bernard with the No. 37 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

• draft13-rd2a--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Round 2a Press Conference (4/26/13)
    (5:10) By Bengals.com - Posted 2 hours ago

Running backs coach Hue Jackson shows his excitement over the addition of running back Giovani Bernard to the Bengals offense.

• smith130426--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Andre Smith re-signs (4/26/13)
    (7:48) By Bengals.com - Posted 2 hours ago

Andre Smith talks about the long process that culminated with a new agreement during the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

1. Bernard: "I'm going to be my own player. For me work my hardest. I'm going to have comparisons but I'm not g… http://tl.gd/lm34c1 

2. Williams: "We have a lot of guys from Georgia here but I have a ways to get up to their level."

Expand
  3. Hunt on learning game of football: "You have to learn the language of the game and then all the schemes. For… http://tl.gd/lm33s0 

Expand
  4. Bengals Day 2 pics with new jerseys pic.twitter.com/lDWqDel9jm

1. Williams says he can cover but wasn't asked to in Athens

2. Williams on Georgia defenders going to NFL: coaching

Expand
  3. Hunt on first exposure to football: Maddeb

Expand
  4. Bernard on his biggest assets: personality and versatility

Expand
  5. Numbers... Hunt 99 Bernard 25 Williams 40

From NFL.com:

Owner Mike Brown quietly has turned into one of the best drafters in the NFL. He backed up one of our favorite first-round picks in Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with North Carolina running back Giovani Bernard and SMU defensive end Margus Hunt in the second round. This Bengals offense needed more explosiveness; it has it with Eifert and Bernard.

Hunt is the poor man's Ziggy Ansah (drafted No. 5 overall by the Detroit Lions). Cincinnati is the perfect spot for a raw talent with immense physical skills because of coordinator Mike Zimmer. No one coaches up pass rushers better.

Clark Judge with CBSSports.com calls Cincinnati one of the biggest winners of Day Two:

Once upon a time, the Bengals were one of the NFL's most overworked punchlines. Not anymore. They're quietly assembling another outstanding cast of draft picks, adding tight end Tyler Eifert, running back Giovani Bernard and defensive end Margus Hunt with their first three picks. Nice.

Mel Kiper Jr. is one of three teams mentioned whendescribing the best Day Two selections:

If I went by my board, I would have preferred Eddie Lacy to Bernard at No. 37, but it's not a bad pick. Remember, Bernard was the first running back taken in the entire draft, so if he's the No. 1 player on Cincy's board and they get him that far down, it's a pretty good get. And what they really need at running back is a little more explosiveness and versatility. That's exactly what Bernard offers, particularly as a pass-catcher. Hunt is raw, but at No. 53 he's a pretty tremendous value. I know there were teams that thought he might come off the board in the late first or early second round. Williams is a productive player out of the SEC, and has the potential to fill a hole at the safety position for the Bengals. This team is hitting needs and getting value.

Nate Davis with the USA Today writes on Cincinnati's selection of Georgia strong safety Shawn Williams.

Analysis: The Bengals seemed to struggle without Chris Crocker, who's no longer on the roster. Williams could get a shot at his spot next to starting FS Reggie Nelson.

Davis on Giovani Bernard in the second round:

One night after enlisting TE Tyler Eifert, the Bengals wisely continue adding parts around third-year QB Andy Dalton. Bernard is shifty, a good pass catcher and can return kicks — all things that starting RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis doesn't do very well. Cincinnati's lack of explosiveness outside of WR A.J. Green was a major reason the Texans scuttled them in the playoffs the past two seasons.

And Margus Hunt:

The Bengals continue to stock a deep defensive line with Hunt, an Estonian known as the "Eastern Block," given the 6-8 player's proclivity for blocking kicks. The former track and field star will be 26 this year, but Cincinnati is showing little fear adding players who can help them win now.

Pete Prisco with CBSSports.com on Shawn Williams.

He is a rangy safety who will address a position of need in the back end. I like that.

Joe Reedy on the selection of Williams:

What gave Williams the edge is that he has versatility at both safety spots and that he has made the calls in the secondary, which is something that Chris Crocker had done here for the past five seasons. Crocker, who is going into his 11th year, is a free agent.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/27/4274276/nfl-draft-2013-winners-losers

Archived