With the 37th pick the Bengals select Giovani Bernard

Very impressive kid. Just heard the audio interview on the Bengals.com site.

Between Eifert, Gio, and Hunt, that's 3 quality guys.

You could see it coming after Marvin spent so much time with him.

Gio's were the most impressive interviews I watched, and I watched a bunch. 

Yesterday, prior to the draft, L. Tomlinson said Bernard was not only worthy of a 1st round pick, but a better all around back than Lacy.

Yesterday, prior to the draft, L. Tomlinson said Bernard was not only worthy of a 1st round pick, but a better all around back than Lacy.

didn't see that. that's a pretty lofty endorsement.

it's impossible to be upset with this pick, since he offers so much versatility. we aren't going to recognize this offense come training camp time. it's totally changed.... and for the better! 

The Eifert pick challenges yet supports Gresham, the most disappointing player on the offense IMHO. And the Bernard pick addresses my biggest complaint with Gruden's gameplans. Specifically, no RB's included in the passing game.

Yeah I saw that yesterday.  Thought he was the best RB in the class. 

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"I'd like to see him improve his pass protection a little bit. (Andy) Dalton needs to take another step if this team is going to get over the hump. They gave (Dalton) a tight end last night, and now they've given him a quick-footed running back." -- Mike Mayock

• 5'8"HEIGHT
  • 28"ARM LENGTH
  • 202LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 3/8"HANDS
OVERVIEW

Giovani Bernard's career as a Tar Heel did not kickoff as expected. On the team's third day of practice, "Gio" tore the ACL in his right knee and was forced to redshirt the 2010 season. The Florida native and brother of Yvenson, who was an all-conference running back at Oregon State, didn't waste any time once returning to the field in 2011, and was quickly named the starter after clearly separating himself from others at the position. UNC hired Larry Fedora during the offseason, and he implemented a no-huddle, shotgun heavy offense, something Bernard wasn't accustomed to. Gio was slowed early in the 2012 season after experiencing some discomfort in his knee in the opener against Elon, and the running back was sidelined for two full games. The redshirt sophomore did return to the field against East Carolina and remained there for the next nine games.

After taking over lead back duties as a redshirt freshman, Bernard rushed for 1,253 yards and 13 touchdowns on 239 carries. He flashed plenty of receiving ability as well, catching 45 passes for 362 yards and one touchdown.He was forced to make a shift in his play style in 2012, as the Tar Heels focused on tempo and the shotgun formation. The blocking scheme and plays were a change for Bernard, but he still managed 1,228 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns on 184 carries. The stocky running back did benefit from the passing mentality UNC obtained, since he caught 47 passes for 490 yards and five touchdowns. Bernard didn't stop there, as he returned 16 punts for 263 yards and two scores.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Consistently twists or falls forward for extra yardage, two hands on the ball while going down. Short strides and quick steps allow for surprising cuts. Same strides help him get up to speed very quickly. Utilizes multiple lateral hops, cuts, and the occasional spin move. Has a thick base which helps with balance to break high tacklers. Very comfortable on draws and screens, reading blocks with patience and cutting off backsides. Very good vision, sees cut back lanes, anticipates momentum and blocks, weaves through trash. Likes to use short stiff arms downfield to keep some separation. Successful pass protector, mostly uses cut blocks. Reliable receiver. Quick initial move after the catch frequently makes the first man miss, especially when trailing. WEAKNESSES  Torn ACL in 2010. Does not elect for fair catch as a punt returner even with coverage bearing down on him. Always goes for cut block in pass protection instead of attacking face up. Wish he brought more power on first contact, more often has an elusive style. Body catcher when asked to be a receiver. Large number of 2012 runs came out of shotgun.

NFL COMPARISON  DeAngelo Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Bernard will have some medical questions to answer after citing discomfort in his knee early this season, but the redshirt sophomore played through the pain, and at a very high level. The Tar Heel may need to thank Larry Fedora for bringing in his offense, as Bernard was able to show off his receiving and pass protection skills. This class may lack a clear cut, first-round running back, but Bernard is one of a couple ball carriers that has a shot to be selected in the first 32 picks.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/giovani-bernard?id=2540156

he's definitely quicker than fast.  His greatest asset is as a receiver.  If I'm not mistaken, 90 receptions over the last two years.

I'm not down on the pick, and I'm happy to see so many people who follow the draft closer than I do be so excited about it. I'm curious/nervous to see how his skill set will match up vs. NFL speed. I love my Cavs, but ACC football is hardly the toughest group of opponents to face.

Fingers crossed. Go get 'em Gio!

Archived