With the 37th pick the Bengals select Giovani Bernard

I'm not down on the pick, and I'm happy to see so many people who follow the draft closer than I do be so excited about it. I'm curious/nervous to see how his skill set will match up vs. NFL speed. I love my Cavs, but ACC football is hardly the toughest group of opponents to face.

Fingers crossed. Go get 'em Gio!

he compares to Ray Rice size wise (Rice when he was coming out).  Rice has more power, they're probably about equal as far as speed and shiftyness.

I see quick feet, but not much in the way of top end speed...

i'd love to see him in a footrace with margus hunt. not so much for who'd win, but it would just look funnier than all get out watching his little short strides compared to hunt's giant, loping ones.

he compares to Ray Rice size wise (Rice when he was coming out).  Rice has more power, they're probably about equal as far as speed and shiftyness.

If he has Ray Rice speed, he should be fine. Just doesn't look that fast to me. With those short strides it looks like he's running in quicksand.

i'd love to see him in a footrace with margus hunt. not so much for who'd win, but it would just look funnier than all get out watching his little short strides compared to hunt's giant, loping ones.

:lol:  That would be awesome

He seems to get up to speed VERY quickly, which on a 100-yard field can be just as effective as plain old fast.  Even if guys are a half-step faster that's not much room to accelerate and make up the difference. By the time a defender gets going the right way and catches up to him he's gonna be in the endzone often as not.

He seems to get up to speed VERY quickly, which on a 100-yard field can be just as effective as plain old fast.  Even if guys are a half-step faster that's not much room to accelerate and make up the difference. By the time a defender gets going the right way and catches up to him he's gonna be in the endzone often as not.

he fits in them little holes, too, which is an asset for them small guys. seldom does a RB have the big holes they do in college. that's one of the hardest things for rbs to get used to at the pro level.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/500890/giovani-bernard

Looks to me like he busted 3 long TD runs, and had 2 long receptions. All of his other TDs came in/near the red zone.

I guess that averages out to one huge play every 2-3 games - a number I'd surely be thrilled with if he could do it on Sundays. Especially in January and February.

Nice 12.3 yard average receiving on 3rd down. :good:

Yep, he has really quick feet and can accelerate well. I did like Lacy a lot but relatively speaking, he took some time to get in gear.

I think Bernard, if trapped in the backfield, will show the ability to make guys miss more than Lacy would have. And as Marvin says, that's big, and that's important!

At RB there is an advantage to being small and short as it makes you harder to hit. At RB your essentially a large tackling dummy, and so it's hard to light up short little stout guys, as they are shifty for large DL.

Moreover, he can hide behind our big OL until it is time to break out through the cut. By the time the MLB realizes which direction he is cutting, he's already shot the gap and it's too late.

Whoever spread the Bengals are in love with lacy is brilliant because it spread like a wildfire.

That was part of the reason for my ejaculation when they drafted Gio. Mayock said Lacy or Teo right before the Bengals picked and either one would've made me puke.

That was part of the reason for my ejaculation when they drafted Gio. Mayock said Lacy or Teo right before the Bengals picked and either one would've made me puke.

Same. I would have lost respect for the organization. There is a reason why lacy fell

Bernard's crunch time punt return game winner against NCS, ranks as one of the best moments in college football for a long time imo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTz097lVdKQ

That was one of the couple times I got to watch UNC. A guy I work with has a son that plays at NC State and he grudgingly was talking about that play at work the follolwing Monday. He couldn't believe they kicked to him. I'll have to get his 2 cents on the pick.

Archived