UDFA Signings

Might have a shot at making the team. Battling with guys like Vinny Rey, Dontay Moch, etc. for #6 LB, which I think is likely to be how many we keep.

maybe, but I think Howard will end up getting the 6th.  Definitely don't see 7 this year.  Margus Hunt took that spot on the roster.

Despite not being picked in the 2013 NFL Draft, former IU defensive tackle Larry Black Jr. said he has signed a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Black, who called the Bengals his “hometown team”, had previously worked out with the organization this spring and will be given the chance to make the 53-man roster by the end of the preseason. He announced his signing only hours after the Draft ended Saturday night.

“Man, this means the world to me,” Black said. “To see all of my hard work I have put in throughout my football career – especially while at IU – pay off, it’s a great feeling.

“I just felt like the Bengals would be a great spot. It would be an honor to play for my hometown team.”

During his career at IU, Black played in all 48 games alongside defensive tackle Adam Replogle and recorded 127 tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. In the 2012 season, Black was second on the team in both tackles for loss (12.0) and sacks (4.0).

Black is the first Hoosier to have been a member of the Bengals’ organization since defensive end Victor Adeyanju, who was on the team during its 2010 season. His next step in the process toward making the full-time roster will be reporting to Bengals’ rookie mini camp in mid-May.

“This is just the beginning; the start of something hopefully great,” Black said. “I just have to improve and continue to get better as a player and set the tone of starting rookie camp feeling great.”

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=22306

Despite not being picked in the 2013 NFL Draft, former IU defensive tackle Larry Black Jr. said he has signed a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Black, who called the Bengals his “hometown team”, had previously worked out with the organization this spring and will be given the chance to make the 53-man roster by the end of the preseason. He announced his signing only hours after the Draft ended Saturday night.

“Man, this means the world to me,” Black said. “To see all of my hard work I have put in throughout my football career – especially while at IU – pay off, it’s a great feeling.

“I just felt like the Bengals would be a great spot. It would be an honor to play for my hometown team.”

During his career at IU, Black played in all 48 games alongside defensive tackle Adam Replogle and recorded 127 tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. In the 2012 season, Black was second on the team in both tackles for loss (12.0) and sacks (4.0).

Black is the first Hoosier to have been a member of the Bengals’ organization since defensive end Victor Adeyanju, who was on the team during its 2010 season. His next step in the process toward making the full-time roster will be reporting to Bengals’ rookie mini camp in mid-May.

“This is just the beginning; the start of something hopefully great,” Black said. “I just have to improve and continue to get better as a player and set the tone of starting rookie camp feeling great.”

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=22306

Others from Indiana;

95 Adeyanju, Victor.................DE ’10 Indiana

26 Bell, Leonard .........................S ’87 Indiana

32 Borders, Nate ........................S ’87 Indiana

80 Johnson, Ken..................... DE ’71-77 Indiana

44 Jones, Herana-Daze............. S ’06-08 Indiana

60 Moore, Eric .........................OT ’94 Indiana

66 Riley, Bob........................... OT ’87 Indiana

12 Roby, Courtney.................WR ’07 Indiana

97 Whittington, Bernard.... DT-DE ’01-02 Indiana

I'm almost more excited for the UDFA than the draftees. Is that weird? A 6'7 receiver to go with our two 6'6 TE ... REDZONE KILLERS!

That 6'7" receiver is listed at 6'4" on the EKU web site and NFLDRAFTSCOUT. Still, that's tall, and he did run a 4.46 forty and an impressive 3-cone drill.

That 6'7" receiver is listed at 6'4" on the EKU web site and NFLDRAFTSCOUT. Still, that's tall, and he did run a 4.46 forty and an impressive 3-cone drill.

He also was a 5th year senior who turns 24 next week who only had 41 catches his final year. For a guy playing against such terrible competition to not dominate even in his 5th year at that level makes me pretty skeptical of his chances of making the 53 man roster. Probably a long shot even for the practice squad.

Might have a shot at making the team. Battling with guys like Vinny Rey, Dontay Moch, etc. for #6 LB, which I think is likely to be how many we keep.

glad to have Bruce Taylor on this team he might be a steal for the Bengals, but I'm surprise he wasn't drafted.this guy is a athlete.

[swf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0WeQk_F-Q[/swf] 

He also was a 5th year senior who turns 24 next week who only had 41 catches his final year. For a guy playing against such terrible competition to not dominate even in his 5th year at that level makes me pretty skeptical of his chances of making the 53 man roster. Probably a long shot even for the practice squad.

Don't dismiss just yet. He may have been victim of poor QB play. Need to investigate.

It still seems ridiculous to me that practice squads are only eight deep. I wish there was a way teams could work with these raw talents on a broader scale to see if any of them have an aha moment after a couple years. Something like a 24 man practice squad, one player at every position and a kicker and a punter.

Recapping #UC free agent signings: Winn (Hou), Giordano (Ariz), Thompkins (Pats), Bomar (Jax) #bearcats

I'm surprised no one has taken a chance on Walter Stewart.  Obviously an injury risk, but he has the most upside of any of these guys.  Very likely was headed towards a 2nd/3rd round pick prior to the injury diagnosis.

I'm surprised no one has taken a chance on Walter Stewart.  Obviously an injury risk, but he has the most upside of any of these guys.  Very likely was headed towards a 2nd/3rd round pick prior to the injury diagnosis.

It is somewhere in one of the threads, but it is reported he failed the Bengals medical as well as many other teams.  

Archived