Opinions on SNAP/Food Stamps ??

JungleFever

Yeah

Wait

What?

for some reason I cannot copy and paste on my laptop now..If you yahoo homosexual unions and the Fall of the roman empire..You will find interesting facts, also Nero married 2 men..Homosexuals can have feelings we just should not legalize it..Just sayin

Nero died in the year 68.  The roman empire fell with the fall of the Western Empire in 476.  Constantine, who died in 337 converted to Christianity.  It seems to me that you could argue that Christianity should be blamed for the fall of the Roman Empire.  Obviously this is an oversimplification.

for some reason I cannot copy and paste on my laptop now..If you yahoo homosexual unions and the Fall of the roman empire..You will find interesting facts, also Nero married 2 men..Homosexuals can have feelings we just should not legalize it..Just sayin

A quick google ( I don't yahoo anymore, it's not the '80s) of homosexual unions and the fall of the roman empire found these really eye-opening websites:

http://godfatherpolitics.com/10069/homosexual-marriage-following-in-the-footsteps-of-roman-emperor-nero/

http://www.fgfbooks.com/AboutUS.html

There are somethings I'm liberal about and somethings I'm conservative about, I don't box myself in and label myself as a liberal or conservative.

I try not to watch channels like Fox News and MSNBC because of the slant they put on their coverage, I prefer to watch news shows the NewsHour on PBS because they stay away from trying to spin news coverage for a particular political party.

It just seems like alot of conservatives will label something as liberal if they don't agree with or proves something they believe in to not be true, which makes them seem delusional to the non-partial party on the outside looking in, well to me atleast.

I would say that I'm largely the same way, though more often than not, I lean towards the conservative side, and on other issues I'm more progressive. This probably is the way most americans are I would think.

Go-Bengals.com Presents: The Hidden History of the Fall of Rome

September 4, 476

[martial music as we eavesdrop on a conversation]

Biganus Idiota: "Oh, no! The barbarians are at the gate! What are we to do? What are we to do?"

Liccus Miballus: "It's Odoacer. He's taking over. He'll be kicking ass and taking names."

Biganus Idiota: "Then we must resist. To arms! To arms! Liccus, help me strap on my armor."

Liccus Miballus: "It's too late for that, Biganus. We have to hide the important things. Like, for instance, my salami."

Biganus Idiota: "How can you think of dinner at a time like this?"

Liccus Miballus: "I'm not talking about that kind of salami, Idiota."

Biganus Idiota: "Wait, that's not armor you are strapping on, Liccus."

Liccus Miballus: "Hehehe."

Biganus Idiota: "Gods damn it, Liccus, stop waving that thing around."

Liccus Miballus: "But I just want to bury my treasure before it's too late."

But, alas, it was too late, for Odoacer kicked down the gates of Rome and marched into the Forum. "I'm the new boss, similar to the old boss, but slightly different."

And that's how Rome fell.

The End.

[qu

ote name="Jamie_B" post="1242790" timestamp="1367681369"]

Exactly. I'm an economic liberal, social conservative for myself, and social libertarian for everyone else.

I view as enemies neoconservatives and neoliberals.[/quote]

Define what you mean by neoconservatives and neoliberals?

NeoConservative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism

NeoLiberal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

• 5 months later...

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/01/news/economy/food-stamps-families/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The food stamps buy a lot of economical rice-based meals for the family -- four adults and a grandson who live with Lewis in Spring Hill, Florida.

Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.

The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.

"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.

Food stamp benefits will be trimmed by $5 billion starting Friday, when a temporary bump-up enacted during the recession expires. Millions of families will be affected.

Lewis, 55, is worried because the cuts are coming at a bad time. Among other things, a second grandchild is due in January.

She is also fighting the bank from foreclosing on her home.

And even though she doesn't smoke, Lewis suffers from emphysema, which prevents her from working.

Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon.

The low point came this summer, when she didn't have enough to pay the full electricity bill. Lewis needs power to run her breathing machine to treat her illness. So she pawned her wedding ring for $325.

Some 47.6 million people, or nearly 15% of the population, get them, according to September federal data. That compares to 26.3 million, or 8.7% of the population, in 2007. The average benefit per person is $133.19 a month.

For families who rely on food stamps, it means a lot of planning and tough choices.

Hugh Sewell, 54, has been on food stamps for two years. He gets the maximum allowed for his family of three -- $526 a month. The benefits will likely be cut by $29 to $497, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone who thinks Justice isn't a fake account is an absolute moron. That's not a real person with real viewpoints- it's a person trolling all of you (except whomever is the real board member that started the username).

Anyway, if food stamps are going to be given to individuals for an infinite amount of time, it should be used for nutritious items- and not foods that will further burden the system by creating unhealthy bodies that will require tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer funded healthcare down the line.

Personally, I don't agree with rewarding people for terribly ridiculous decisions. It's one thing if people hit a tough stretch of life and need help digging out of a hole, but it's a whole other issue to reward someone for having 5 kids when they can't afford to even take care of themself, never get/keep a decent job, never try to further their situation and get ahead in life etc etc etc. Many people use them for the right reasons- but many others are just taking advantage of the system and of those who work to earn their way in society.

I'm all for helping people get on their feet, but we are quickly becoming a nation of leeches, rather than a nation of strivers, which is what made America the nation that is was at one point. This was where people could come from nothing, not even knowing the language- learn English, work their asses off and EARN a great living. Now it's a nation of people living off the backs of others, and asking what else the country will do for them. It's sad. At some point, you'll run out of people who have ambition and ability to fund the leeches. Then what will you do?

I love how there is such outrage over a small percentage of poor people abuseing the welfare and food stamp system. There's plenty of people more than willing to hurt the countless decent people who need these programs to survive, just to stick it to a small minority that just don't seem "poor and suffering" enough for our liking.

Meanwhile, the straight up ass raping of the economy by big buisness and bankers is A-ok.

Its amazing to me the extent to which the wealthy and powerful have convinced scociety that the most vulnerable and poverty stricken percentage of our population is the enemy. No one gives a fuck when HSBC blatantly launder billions of dollars for the Mexican drug cartel or illeagally forcloses on hundreds of thousands of homes, but they're ready to raise hell the second they see a poor kid with an iPod.

I love how there is such outrage over a small percentage of poor people abuseing the welfare and food stamp system. There's plenty of people more than willing to hurt the countless decent people who need these programs to survive, just to stick it to a small minority that just don't seem "poor and suffering" enough for our liking.

Meanwhile, the straight up ass raping of the economy by big buisness and bankers is A-ok.

Its amazing to me the extent to which the wealthy and powerful have convinced scociety that the most vulnerable and poverty stricken percentage of our population is the enemy. No one gives a fuck when HSBC blatantly launder billions of dollars for the Mexican drug cartel or illeagally forcloses on hundreds of thousands of homes, but they're ready to raise hell the second they see a poor kid with an iPod.

SO.MUCH.THIS.

• 11 months later...

http://conservativetribune.com/maine-food-stamp-policy/

The state of Maine is requiring able-bodied adults who are capable of working to do so in order to qualify for food stamps.

Citing the recession, President Barack Obama issued a waiver of the federal work requirement in 2010 and — despite continued claims from Democrats that the economy is humming along — has not lifted it. Republican Gov. Paul R. LePage, who won re-election handily on Tuesday, allowed the waiver for his state to expire.

As a result, adults 18 to 50 years old with no children and who are able to work must do so or volunteer for 20 hours each week. Otherwise, their benefits will be limited to three months over a three-year period, according to The Boston Globe (H/T Mad World News).

“People who are in need deserve a hand up, but we should not be giving able-bodied individuals a handout,” LePage said in a statement. “We must continue to do all that we can to eliminate generational poverty and get people back to work. We must protect our limited resources for those who are truly in need and who are doing all they can to be self-sufficient.”

OMG I forgot all about Justice

:24:

What an idiot

As far as this Maine thing, just another way to drive down wages for everyone.

Sounds like more grandstanding to me..  How many able-bodied adults 18-50 with no kids are on food stamps?  I'm guessing it's a tiny % of recipients. Of course, compassion used to be considered a value in this country. Now it's "let them starve" until we're all reduced to warring bands of cannibals.  We want all the luxuries of our affluent service economy and none of the responsibilities.  The rest of the world & all the people in it are a resource to be exploited.  Screw anyone outside our borders/state/town/fort/cave.  Because, don't fool yourself, that's exactly where this path leads.

Anyway.. End the corporate welfare & then come talk to me about food stamps.

I don't see the issue with asking them to volunteer or get a job.

Ugh. Of course not, and neither does anyone else. That's why it was proposed. Meanwhile it creates another government monitoring agency and ends up costing us more money overall. Oh, and further demonizes the poor while the corporate overlords continue sucking the government teat.

But sure, GIT A JOB LOSERS!

Ugh. Of course not, and neither does anyone else. That's why it was proposed. Meanwhile it creates another government monitoring agency and ends up costing us more money overall. Oh, and further demonizes the poor while the corporate overlords continue sucking the government teat.

But sure, GIT A JOB LOSERS!

I am really confused. It seems like this existed until 2010 and was just gotten rid of and now they are returning to it. I don't see it as demonizing anyone, what if we used the term incentivizing? No one wants to keep handing money over to someone who isn't using it properly.There needs to be some sort of limit. 

I don't see the issue with asking them to volunteer or get a job.

If there are jobs to be had then yes people should get a job, but it's never that simple though is it? Often the jobs people end up having to take are jobs that dont pay nearly as much as they might have been making before being layed off, and in this economy it is very often that people who were layed off were not layed off through any fault of their own. And the jobs that are coming back are not paying the same rates that they were when they left despite Wall St making record proffits. That's why I suggest it is a form of wage theft and driving down wages. In fact the volunteering may be worse because it takes a job from someone who might have been working doing that job that this person now has to voluteer for.

If there are jobs to be had then yes people should get a job, but it's never that simple though is it? Often the jobs people end up having to take are jobs that dont pay nearly as much as they might have been making before being layed off, and in this economy it is very often that people who were layed off were not layed off through any fault of their own. And the jobs that are coming back are not paying the same rates that they were when they left despite Wall St making record proffits. That's why I suggest it is a form of wage theft and driving down wages. In fact the volunteering may be worse because it takes a job from someone who might have been working doing that job that this person now has to voluteer for.

Volunteering isnt worse because the only people allowed to use volunteers are non profits. 

Archived