Tebow released.

Hooky

Still not sure how to do links here on my phone, but saw it on NFL network. I know, no big surprise. This guy gets no respect. They're talking about what a bust he is even though he just won games in Denver when he was finally given a chance. Then he was set up to fail with the Jets. If somebody picks him up and uses him correctly, watch out. Patriots?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9222870/new-york-jets-cut-tim-tebow

One year after bringing Tim Tebow to Broadway, creating a nationwide fascination that slowly evolved into a salacious controversy, the New York Jets made the long-anticipated move Monday of releasing one of the NFL's most popular players.

The Jets confirmed the release in a three-paragraph news release, a long way from his Super Bowl-sized news conference last March.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," coach Rex Ryan said. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped.  Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

So ends one of the strangest chapters in team history -- maybe in league history.

Tebow received rock-star media coverage from the moment he arrived. His introductory news conference last March drew more than 200 media members, highly unusual for a backup quarterback. The Jets were criticized for the excess.

After using a second-round pick on Geno Smith, the Jets had six quarterbacks on the roster and someone had to go. The Jets tried for months to trade Tebow, sources said. His release was earlier reported by the New York Post.

Tebow attended the first two weeks of the off-season program. In fact, he reported 12 pounds under his 2012 playing weight. Despite vague comments by team officials, they never had any intention of retaining him.

The Tebow trade never came close to living up to the hype, as Tebow played in only 72 offensive snaps. It became apparent late in the season that he'd be one-and-done in New York.

The final Tebow bill: It cost the Jets a fourth-round pick and $1.5 million in salary, plus another $2.5 million they had to pay the Denver Broncos to satisfy part of the trade agreement.

I don't like the fact that Tebow is unwilling for a position change. I know he's won when given the chance but if you have Tebow, you have to tailor your entire offense to his style. If you have an all-pro WR, you won't be able to use him as a weapon consistently. Take practice for example... you'd have to have two offenses basically unless you can find someone with the same exact skill set at Tebow to run your option base offense. Switching back and forth, the inconsistencies... I wouldn't want to do it as a coach. Plus the media hoopla involved. It would just be a mess. I think Tebow can win just like we helped them win in Denver, but he has baggage, which is also kind of his fault, whether people want to admit that or not.

I'd vote no on having him unless he'd switch to TE or FB/H-Back type guy.

Seriously though, is he worse than our backup QB we have now? Granted, the media distraction is certainly a factor. But could he help us win games in a backup/situational role without disturbing our team? I don't know. He whooped Pittsburgh while in Denver. 

Seriously though, is he worse than our backup QB we have now? Granted, the media distraction is certainly a factor. But could he help us win games in a backup/situational role without disturbing our team? I don't know. He whooped Pittsburgh while in Denver. 

The media distraction obviously would not be at the level it was in NY. The media would be torn between covering Tebow and being forced to say something about the Bengals. 

But with that said, I wouldn't want to bring him in at least until we figure out what we have with all these new offensive weapons.

I don't like the fact that Tebow is unwilling for a position change. I know he's won when given the chance but if you have Tebow, you have to tailor your entire offense to his style. If you have an all-pro WR, you won't be able to use him as a weapon consistently. Take practice for example... you'd have to have two offenses basically unless you can find someone with the same exact skill set at Tebow to run your option base offense. Switching back and forth, the inconsistencies... I wouldn't want to do it as a coach. Plus the media hoopla involved. It would just be a mess. I think Tebow can win just like we helped them win in Denver, but he has baggage, which is also kind of his fault, whether people want to admit that or not.

I'd vote no on having him unless he'd switch to TE or FB/H-Back type guy.

Who says that's a fact? I think the media is making a lot of assumptions. There are reports that he doesn't want to play TE, but FB/H-Back may be an option.  He wasn't real successful running the ball with the Jets, but neither was Shonn Greene. And that butt fumble that everybody is making fun of Sanchez for was a result of the tackle getting pushed back like a sled. 

Who says that's a fact? I think the media is making a lot of assumptions. There are reports that he doesn't want to play TE, but FB/H-Back may be an option.  He wasn't real successful running the ball with the Jets, but neither was Shonn Greene. And that butt fumble that everybody is making fun of Sanchez for was a result of the tackle getting pushed back like a sled. 

I don't know if it's fact. 5 just read it from Schefter I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Tebow might not be a good QB but the dude won games when given a chance to play.

Ryan is a total turd for not giving Tebow a shot to start a game after everything feel apart for Sanchez.

With the Bengals I could see Tebow in a Peerman/Leonard type role.  Maybe the last back and 4th TE. 

But heck maybe with Tebow in camp tearing it up at QB and giving 100% effort 100% of time,,,,maybe Dalton too would crack under the pressure of trying to keep up.

Am I the only one that thinks the NFL should allow teams to have more players on the active game roster? I'd like to see it go to the 60's but 58 or 59 would be good. Then we can have a 3rd QB on the game roster.

Archived