Anyone ever used a SSHD Hybrid drive before?

since i am hoping to upgrade my notebook after the macbook pro refreshes late this summer, im going to LIKELY not get a SSD in there.. but i was looking at this 1tb seagtea SSHD hybrid drive.. i dont know much about it but all of them get GREAT reviews..

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Best of both worlds and I'm kinda pissed I didn't come up with the idea first and patent it.  :glare:

It loads all of the memory points into the front-end flash memory cache and uses that to run the OS and whatever your I/O is until it can get written to spinning disk.  Fiendishly clever and I'll probably go that route myself in the near future...  

Maybe they have gotten better, I've had two of the hybrid drives (Seagate Momentus 500GB).

Won the first one from Seagate....it died within six months...they sent me another one as a replacement....it seems like I started having some issues with the second (can't remember).  I had  it in a Dell 1520 Inspiron - when I switched to the Macbook, I pulled it, wiped it, and threw it in the Macbook.  Haven't had any problems.

I kind of wonder - that machine ran hot most of the time...so quite possibly yes.  I believe it was one of the first (if not the first) hybrid.  So I would assume there are a couple of reasons.  Seems like there is a ton of positive feedback via the link you sent.

that's what I was going to suggest. They have gotten better since then.

I remember looking in to them when they first came out and it was mostly bad reviews for them failing. 

It does seem to be mostly positive in the link Go put up.

ordered a 1TB. will be here friday. I cant wait to give it a try...

gonna have to do a backup on this thing first... might backup my itunes stuff separate, that folder is 400GB alone... rest is like 130GB...

good luck. i hope it works great...

funny how we get excited to do crap like this...  :26: 

got it, installed it, then couldnt find my boot usb drive, so i put the old one back in, created a new boot usb drive, then installed it again.. then booted.. and its CRAZY faster than my old 5400 1tb drive.. i mean stupid amounts faster..

restoring all my bullshit now, so in 2 hrs ill have a true test of it..

apples time capsule backup service is super tits...

good deal...

I know what you are saying about the speed. I always heard/read how fast the SSD drives are. Then when I p[ut one in my MBP I was like holy shit. Start up is soooo much faster.Programs and apps start up almost instantly. Files transfer faster.. Just everything is faster. I can't believe I waited that long to do it.

If the hybrid is anything like it, I know you will be pleased.

good luck. i hope it works great...

funny how we get excited to do crap like this...  :26: 

I always get excited to do stuff like this, and then about 25 minutes in I seem to always start thinking "what the fuck why was I pumped about having to do this shit" and end up hating every minute of it.

so i got an enclosure for my 1tb regular drive to use as an external backup drive for my wife..

installed it, connected it.... and nothing...

it turned on fine, power, spun, etc... macbook saw nothing..

seemingly because it was previously a bootable drive on this macbook...

so i reset the PRAM (now called nv ram or something) and it showed in disk utility... but wouldnt format... so i deleted the partition, THEN formatted it fine...

all is good...

so now i have an extra 500GB external portable drive and a 1tb portable external drive...

and this new hybrid drive is super-tits still...

Archived