Skins changing their name?

Go Skins

I still agree with the idea to remove copyright ability to that name, then let's see how committed they are to "a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect."

Yeah we should get rid of any reference to or trace of American Indians in this country. There aren't many of them left anyway.

We should only have names of sports teams that honor white people of European descent. Change the name to the Whiteskins to celebrate white folks.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a high school in Columbus whose nickname are the Nubians.

Are the students offended?

I get why they might be confused, but why would they be offended?

Nubia is an actual region populated by people who still call themselves Nubians. Thus, nothing insulting is stated or implied by the choice of the name.

Precisely.

But the prior high school at the same location ( now called Africentric) was known as Mohawk High School. Their nickname was the Indians.

No one was offended then either.

Alright, I see where you were going now.

It's probably not a perfect example though because there are some who consider "Indian" to be insulting.  Further, both indian and redskin aren't names of regions nor are they a name that people call themselves.

Rather, both are names given to people without their consent, and the worst of the two, redskin, is an outright slur.

Or a potato.

Alright, I see where you were going now.

It's probably not a perfect example though because there are some who consider "Indian" to be insulting.  Further, both indian and redskin aren't names of regions nor are they a name that people call themselves.

Rather, both are names given to people without their consent, and the worst of the two, redskin, is an outright slur.

Or a potato.

Not really going anywhere actually.

To be sure, "redskin" was a derogatory term used in frontier days with regard to the indigenous population. But then again, "Lutheran" was equally as derogatory in 16th century Europe catholic circles. That term, too, was given without consent as well as a slur.

And FWIW...Nubians were also a warlike people in ancient Africa who brutally savaged lands and enslaved people. But Nubia is also a region.

Names...words... terms. You can call me Al.

Were you referring to the backup vocalists (Ladysmith Black Mambazo (?sp?) on Paul Simon's infamous "You Can Call Me Al ?  Or were you referring to the guy in which the name Al (and Betty) derived from ?  You know, the one who accidentally called Paul, Al and Paul's wife (Peggy), Betty ?  He was a famous composer (???) who came from Nazi Germany back in the day and along with his friends made music that could not be turned into propaganda by the Nazi's like so much of the other German composers had happen to them ?  Or was that you are trying to get me to say that the Nubians are still to this day treated as lower class citizens in Egypt ?  You can call me Ray.  :ninja:

All of the above. Lol.

Just call me irresponsible...or just have Debbie Harry call me.

Now you've gone too far.  Isn't she like twice your age ?  Looks good.  Funny story is that someone actually mistook her for Lindsay Lohan at one time.  Keep in mind Lidsay was probably on a binge or something.

I will not call you anytime, anyplace, anywhere, anyway, or any day...  but you can call me maybe...

Note:  I do not endorse anyone listening to Carly Rae Jepsen anytime, anyplace, anywhere, anyway, or any day...

Not really going anywhere actually.

To be sure, "redskin" was a derogatory term used in frontier days with regard to the indigenous population. But then again, "Lutheran" was equally as derogatory in 16th century Europe catholic circles. That term, too, was given without consent as well as a slur.

And FWIW...Nubians were also a warlike people in ancient Africa who brutally savaged lands and enslaved people. But Nubia is also a region.

A Lutheran was merely someone who followed the preachings of Martin Luther... I guess it could be considered derogatory, but it doesn't really seem the same..

A Lutheran was merely someone who followed the preachings of Martin Luther... I guess it could be considered derogatory, but it doesn't really seem the same..

Nor is Appalachian, as someone suggested.. being an actual region and not at all derogatory.

What this is, is the usual Unacknowledged White Privilege shell game of "Oh, a minority group is offended by something we've taken for granted? Let's go dig up an example of white people being discriminated against and feign outrage!"

Like "How come we can't have a White History Month!?" ...and so on

I'm not even that concerned with the name of a football team. I do find it interesting how we're less than 50 years removed from shit like state bans on interracial marriages and yet the slightest concession to minorities is invariably met with bleating from mainstream white America about political correctness.  "Wahh this token gesture may inconvenience me somewhat!"

Nor is Appalachian, as someone suggested.. being an actual region and not at all derogatory.

What this is, is the usual Unacknowledged White Privilege shell game of "Oh, a minority group is offended by something we've taken for granted? Let's go dig up an example of white people being discriminated against and feign outrage!"

Like "How come we can't have a White History Month!?" ...and so on

I'm not even that concerned with the name of a football team. I do find it interesting how we're less than 50 years removed from shit like state bans on interracial marriages and yet the slightest concession to minorities is invariably met with bleating from mainstream white America about political correctness.  "Wahh this token gesture may inconvenience me somewhat!"

In regards to Appalachia being racist.  Nope not racist but they are as a people being discriminated against to this very day.  ...and have been for a very long time.  Education dollars, health care, legal issues, etc...  Almost like a forgotten segment of the population by ALL people of color (White, Black, Brown, etc...) who do not identify with them and as a result are almost considered a sub human group of people.  In one case, they were even bombed with government acquired ammunition dropped from planes.  Coal mines still hold an enormous stranglehold over the area and as a result, the natural beauty of the mountains and health of the people living there is being destroyed.  However, they're backwards, uneducated, rednecks so who cares ?...  In other words, the people of Appalachia are in a minority of a majority and if there are "concessions" being made they should be made towards them also.

Note:  This is not an attempt by me to "dig up an example of white people being discriminated against and feign outrage."  It has been a sore spot with me for a very long time and not necessarily because of the people but because of the destruction of the beauty that is in and around the mountains by coal mining. 

04.jpg

1+mtr.jpg

028.jpg

^ I would agree with most of that but my point was that Appalachian is not a derogatory term like "redskin".  Even "hillbilly" is borderline, given the pride so many take in self-identifying as such.. Playing into the idea that lack of education & poverty impart authenticity. It's a cultural trend that is particularly regressive and gaining popularity.  Listen to any country station for 10 minutes and you'll probably hear lyrics about the quiet nobility of being near-illiterate & destitute... Or those dumb-as-shit Budweiser pep-talks reassuring us that sitting in cheap seats makes you a "real" fan, unlike those poseurs sitting close enough to read the name on a jersey without binoculars.

Whole other topic there but point being when I hear other white people complain about that one time they encountered racism I tend to roll my eyes a bit.

^ I would agree with most of that but my point was that Appalachian is not a derogatory term like "redskin".  Even "hillbilly" is borderline, given the pride so many take in self-identifying as such.. Playing into the idea that lack of education & poverty impart authenticity. It's a cultural trend that is particularly regressive and gaining popularity.  Listen to any country station for 10 minutes and you'll probably hear lyrics about the quiet nobility of being near-illiterate & destitute... Or those dumb-as-shit Budweiser pep-talks reassuring us that sitting in cheap seats makes you a "real" fan, unlike those poseurs sitting close enough to read the name on a jersey without binoculars.

Whole other topic there but point being when I hear other white people complain about that one time they encountered racism I tend to roll my eyes a bit.

I must be considered a poser because I can't sit in the cheap seats.  Budweiser doesn't dictate to me where I sit but Willett might.  I call into evidence Jed Clampett, Jethro, and Ellie Mae that not all hillbillies are poor.   You really need to listen to Boys 'round here before assigning any education or poverty level to people who listen to country music... :ninja:

You really need to listen to Boys 'round here before assigning any education or poverty level to people who listen to country music... :ninja:

Ha! Not at all. It's definitely a prevalent theme in newer C&W, whether or not someone identifies with it is something else.

I guess my tongue in cheek to approach this could have been better said if I quoted lyrics from Rap songs that promote dealing in drugs or shooting law enforcement.  Boys Round Here is a relatively new song from Blake Shelton.  Enjoying music for the beat and or rhythm is one thing, identifying with it and adhering to it as a cultural identity is living the life of a lemming.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAgv665J14[/media]

I guess my tongue in cheek to approach this could have been better said if I quoted lyrics from Rap songs that promote dealing in drugs or shooting law enforcement.  Boys Round Here is a relatively new song from Blake Shelton. 

Or a bluegrass tune about poppin' bottles in the strip club?

Archived