Hi guys, for those of you interested, I've put together an early look at some of the top prospects of the 2014 NFL Draft. Ideally to just get an idea of who to look for in this upcoming College season. Let me know what you think

[URL="http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2014.html"]2014 NFL Mock Draft[/URL]

*The order was determined by the Vegas Superbowl odds as of last week

• 2 months later...

No way Manziel goes in the first.  I'd love it if he did go to the Browns in the 1st round though!  

He'd get broke in half playing in the AFC North.

Don't see us taking a 222 lb. LB in the first either!  Unless he can maybe make the switch to

Strong Safety.  He supposedly has ran a 40 yard dash time around 4.35.  So who knows.  

Could be Taylor Mays Jr. 

What would you guys give up to move up high enough to get Jadaveon Clowney?  Or however

you spell his first name?

We'd have to move up to the top 3 no doubt!!!

I don't think we go LB early, or even at all in the draft, unless the decision is made to take a SLB joker/hybrid type to groom behind Harrison.  I was nuts about Barr last year and don't think he makes it to us, but Kyle Van Noy could.

Strangely, it's conceivable that our needs going into the upcoming draft look a lot like they did going into the last.  That is, under the new NFL reality, you can pretty much consider any one of several positions well-suited for the first rounder - OT, DE, CB, WR - and there's an argument that we'd be well served getting another first round talent at any of them.

I do wonder, though, if the stars might not finally align to bring us that All-Pro Center I've been lusting after for so long.  LG is also already looking like it'll be high on my list next year.

At the end of the day, though, I hope that we find ourself in the same situation we did this year: drafting a true difference maker simpler because he's the BPA.

I don't think we go LB early, or even at all in the draft, unless the decision is made to take a SLB joker/hybrid type to groom behind Harrison.  I was nuts about Barr last year and don't think he makes it to us, but Kyle Van Noy could.

Strangely, it's conceivable that our needs going into the upcoming draft look a lot like they did going into the last.  That is, under the new NFL reality, you can pretty much consider any one of several positions well-suited for the first rounder - OT, DE, CB, WR - and there's an argument that we'd be well served getting another first round talent at any of them.

I do wonder, though, if the stars might not finally align to bring us that All-Pro Center I've been lusting after for so long.  LG is also already looking like it'll be high on my list next year.

At the end of the day, though, I hope that we find ourself in the same situation we did this year: drafting a true difference maker simpler because he's the BPA.

Ask and you shall receive alleycat!  lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1739766-2014-nfl-mock-draft-start-of-fall-practice-edition

I know it's waaaaaaaay to early but I'm kind of bored.  Here's a couple more:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/08/2014-nfl-mock-draft-8-6-13-2521658.html?currentSplittedPage=2

That last one has some decent eye candy if nothing else.

No way Manziel goes in the first.  I'd love it if he did go to the Browns in the 1st round though!  
He'd get broke in half playing in the AFC North.

Don't see us taking a 222 lb. LB in the first either!  Unless he can maybe make the switch to
Strong Safety.  He supposedly has ran a 40 yard dash time around 4.35.  So who knows.  
Could be Taylor Mays Jr. 

What would you guys give up to move up high enough to get Jadaveon Clowney?  Or however
you spell his first name?

We'd have to move up to the top 3 no doubt!!!

Shazier is up to 230 now.

A WLB makes perfect sense here for a late 1st round pick - provided the FO makes the decision to move Burfict to MLB and feels very good about Harrison in the second year of his deal as well as Lamur and Dimanche playing SLB. 

Other than the uncertainty of putting a new starter at SS, I have a gnawing insecurity about our LB play this season, particularly against the pass...

A WLB makes perfect sense here for a late 1st round pick - provided the FO makes the decision to move Burfict to MLB and feels very good about Harrison in the second year of his deal as well as Lamur and Dimanche playing SLB. 

Other than the uncertainty of putting a new starter at SS, I have a gnawing insecurity about our LB play this season, particularly against the pass...

You are "forgetting" Maualuga, the coaches like him and he is looking a lot better this preseason.  

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I have been clamoring for this for years.

Paul Brown said "start with a Center" and we have been making do with mediocrity for years.

Cook/Robinson would be a good back up Guard (may even challenge for starting opposite Zeitler)

and Center but he simply cannot handle it vs the top third tier of opposing D lines.

He also seems to be intimidated at times especially as the game goes on.

I really hope Tobin and Gruden are able to give some attention to college Centers and determine which

would be worth a high draft pick.

But dang... even in the preseason we are seeing the middle of our O line cave and Andy rolling out and

nowhere to step up in the pocket... no pocket.

Cook has racked up some penalties the first two preseason games, too... not a good sign.

Also from the looks of the mock, some excellent O linemen coming out.  Might be a good idea to give

thought to taking one to groom for the future.

But I want a Center above any other position in the draft.

And do realize that sliders and/or best player available could take precedent.

But I do think we have to address an upgrade at that position for next season and

the next decade.

You are "forgetting" Maualuga, the coaches like him and he is looking a lot better this preseason.  

If the coaches really liked him they'd sign him to at least a 3 year deal, rather than a two-year "show me" deal for a guy that's in the prime of his career.

He's looking quicker this preseason, but his run pursuit is still woeful. Or should I say overpursuit?  Sadly, as I said post Titans' game, his speed is only serving to wash him past the play even more quickly.

The jury is still out on pass-protection, but early returns are promising in his case.  When the real bullets start flying - and the complicated plays start coming - then we'll be able to judge.

Where I'll give him a HUGE leap forward nod is in getting to the sideline with authority.  And that's his lighter weight and (therefore) faster play, no doubt about it.

I subscribe to BPA always, but when talking about individual players currently on the team I think it's helpful to  look at the draft question another way:  Which are the units on the team that are currently the weakest?

Ironically, the answer to that question gives you positions that the Bengals haven't seen fit to draft very highly of late: LB, C, S.

Fact is, we're looking pretty good in most places, so I'd either want the team to spot a glaring weak-link and make an immediate upgrade (by sitting a player that will inevitably a beloved player to some), or reload at a premium position with the BPA.

In the case of a guy like Anthony Barr or Kyle Van Noy, we may be able to accomplish both...

Archived