Offseason grade?

Offseason Grade  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What would you grade this offseason?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

If you want to see Geno, AJ and Andy in stripes in 2 years they couldn't go spend much.  I've been crunching some numbers going forward for extensions for Geno, MJ and possibly Carlos. And combined with likely extensions of AJ and Andy next season it's pretty damn tight (not even mentioning Jermaine).  Having the cap space today doesn't mean we should spend it if they have plans for it this year (Reedy keeps mentioning $9-$10M being carried forward too).

I guess we could go spend a lot in FA for a one year shot, but I'd rather have continued success for many years to come with a shot at a Superbowl any of those years...

So we could go bring in FA signings or sign those core players in the next two years and build quality guys around them.  We shouldn't go crazy for a one year chance when we'd lose core players this year or next.  As long as they plan to use the saved up money for signing our best players this year and next, I like what the Bengals did

AJ will be in stripes in 2 years even without a new deal, unless you think he'll retire, be traded, or hold out. Same with Geno. He's under contract for 2013 and can be cheaply tagged in 2014 and 2015 for less than the amount MJ is getting this season. So the team has the leverage in negotiating their extensions. Same with Dunlap. MJ has leverage because the team tagged him in a year with a soft DE market.

Nobody is saying the team should have gone wild in free agency but we certainly could have signed better players than Josh Johnson or Rey Maualuga.

AJ will be in stripes in 2 years even without a new deal, unless you think he'll retire, be traded, or hold out. Same with Geno. He's under contract for 2013 and can be cheaply tagged in 2014 and 2015 for less than the amount MJ is getting this season. So the team has the leverage in negotiating their extensions. Same with Dunlap. MJ has leverage because the team tagged him in a year with a soft DE market.

Nobody is saying the team should have gone wild in free agency but we certainly could have signed better players than Josh Johnson or Rey Maualuga.

I guess I should have said 2 more years, but your point is taken. 

I'm hoping the team doesn't want to hold their best player's hostage with the franchise tag as it hasn't really worked out for us recently (except for Nugent I guess, but ven he hit FA before resigning).  I get that we could have Geno cheap but hope they don't go that route (especially since we do actually have to spend up to the cap during the next 4 year average) since we'll eventually need to spend some coin on him and will need the $$ one way or another.

I see better than I hear. There were better linebackers than Maualuga available. There were better backup QBs than Johnson. There were better veteran safeties than Crocker on the market.

We signed a LB, Drafted one, have a fistfull of CFA LBs.  These don't count, because Sportscenter doesn't know their names.  And we didn't sign Crocker, so I'm not sure why he is even being brought up in a discussion of the teams actual offseason moves.

In all honesty I simply don't know what we could have done much better to make this team way better keeping in mind future cap issues, cost  and reality.

QB: Drew Brees was not an FA asking 5 mil a year this year. 

Adrian Peterson wasn't available

Von Miller was still under rookie contract..

Goldson was Too Fucking expensive and Antrell Rolle wasn't available.

Sure, many think we could have improved MLB (guilty) and done more at safety but dude, we don't have anything close to the holes most NFL teams do. Not saying we are a great team yet, just saying we did pretty good based on players available, need and cost.

i suppose so, but we also could have signed worse players than mike johnson and andre smith (despite what pattern maker would tell you). 

i'm leaving my grade as incomplete, because there still remains a lot of work on getting our two DE's signed to long term contracts, and i think that's essential. but it's still early in the process, and i'm absolutely thrilled they retained two of the top free agents on the market, especially andre smith. andre indicated they raised their offer at the last minute, so i applaud both sides in sucking it up, finding a middle ground, and getting that deal done.

In all honesty I simply don't know what we could have done much better to make this team way better keeping in mind future cap issues, cost  and reality.

QB: Drew Brees was not an FA asking 5 mil a year this year. 

Adrian Peterson wasn't available

Von Miller was still under rookie contract..

Goldson was Too Fucking expensive and Antrell Rolle wasn't available.

Sure, many think we could have improved MLB (guilty) and done more at safety but dude, we don't have anything close to the holes most NFL teams do. Not saying we are a great team yet, just saying we did pretty good based on players available, need and cost.

and, as one who also wanted a change at MLB, I can also recognize that it wasn't a very good MLB free agent pool.  They weren't going to spend big on a guy like Dannell Ellerbe (who got quite a bit more than he's worth).  That left Dansby, or Maualuga, who many had as the 3rd or 4th best MLB available in free agency. Just because you want to upgrade a spot, doesn't always mean there's going to be a lot of options to do so.

and, as one who also wanted a change at MLB, I can also recognize that it wasn't a very good MLB free agent pool.  They weren't going to spend big on a guy like Dannell Ellerbe (who got quite a bit more than he's worth).  That left Dansby, or Maualuga, who many had as the 3rd or 4th best MLB available in free agency. Just because you want to upgrade a spot, doesn't always mean there's going to be a lot of options to do so.

With Dansby you'd have to wonder if age would catch up with him.  And they did make him an offer, anyway.

Team had Destination New Orleans t-shirts last year.    The Superbowl was in New Orleans.     Sure it said DNO on them but I think that is a pretty clear statement.

How are you so confident that they have only set their sights on the 6 seed again this season? 

It fits the ole' Sparky negative.

I think the quibbles here represent an unspoken (for the most part) attitude towards football (sport in general?) philosophy going on here. And I think some folks underestimate the value of institutional continuity as the foundation of current Bengals philosophy to build and maintain the team. Notice the underlying logic some offer here: "The team doesn't agree with my desire to go out and to try buying a championship via free agency, thus they don't really want to win a Super Bowl."

Put that way, it sounds pretty narrow-minded. As many folks here have pointed out, the modern Bengals approach is to build through the draft and to keep their own. Which they are doing pretty successfully. I think they did well in free agency this year by keeping their own players who could have left, but didn't. Not splashy, but a very sound approach.

Personally, I prefer the less splashy approach. It takes time to load up for the long haul and that's the position I think the team is shaping into. The really good teams who compete year after year don't have the free-agency-team-building philosophy, they have the more quiet one that this team is adopting.

I'm happy with feeling fairly certain that the Bengals will be competitive (and yes, that means challenging for a deep playoff run and Super Bowl) not only this year, but next year and the next couple of years after that. And if they keep drafting as well as they have, then this could go on for a decade or so.

And, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is happy with this approach.

I gave them a solid B... Wish they would have locked up one or more of the young defenders, but it's hard to complain with pretty much signing all of their guys, adding some definite playmaking on offense, and getting some interesting guys who will be at least spot contributors on D, and maybe more in Hunt, Porter, and Williams. And adding some attitude with Harrison, and along with that some playmaking ability, hopefully.

And while it's not an offseason addition per se, getting the 2012 rookies back, plus Ghee and maybe Moch is a definite bonus as well - especially to the defense.

I gave them a solid B... Wish they would have locked up one or more of the young defenders, but it's hard to complain with pretty much signing all of their guys, adding some definite playmaking on offense, and getting some interesting guys who will be at least spot contributors on D, and maybe more in Hunt, Porter, and Williams. And adding some attitude with Harrison, and along with that some playmaking ability, hopefully.

And while it's not an offseason addition per se, getting the 2012 rookies back, plus Ghee and maybe Moch is a definite bonus as well - especially to the defense.

I thought for sure it would be a defensive heavy draft to restock it, but in reality its basically being restocked with the likes of Kirkpatrick, Ghee, Prater, Thompson and Still. 

Archived