Anyone have home cameras? nannycams? etc?

I wanted to toss a few cameras in the house in random areas, we have a nanny, and are going to have a second babysitter, and have two boys who are blaming eachother for things that go wrong constantly, etc..

it would be handy to have 2-5 wifi cameras that had a DVR setup even if its just 1-3 days worth to keep an eye on things.

1 camera could watch 90% of the first floor, its an open floorplan to its a stright shot aside from the bathroom and hallway.

id like 1-2in the basement once its done. thats where the most expensive stuff is going to be in the house.

and 1-2 upstairs mostly to watchthe childrens behavior and things like that..

i have seen dropcam, which is $150/camera, wifi, and has 30 day dvr like $15 forst camera and $10 for each additional, thats a LOT if i did 4-5 cameras, but not TERRIBLE if i only did like 2..

just curious if anyone has any advice or experience with these... i DO have a little under-the-stairs network room going with my home alarm system, routes, 24 port switch etc that i can stash DVR equipment if needed...but i would want something really simple to use if i went that route..

i found cheaper cameras, like:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Network-Viewing/dp/B00466X9SY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368919395&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+camera

and: 

http://www.ppcmall.com/electronics/wireless-ip-cameras/apexis-mini-wireless-ip-network-camera-with-night-vision-motion-detection-email-alert.html

but i dont know how I would do any DVR type system with these, they seem to be for live viewing...

i would gladly grab 4-5 $55 cameras if i could get some sort of DVR going for $200-300

the live remote viewing would be a big help, but being able to rewind and some DVR would be nice too...

i saw some of those, they are by far the most affordable..

i am looking at this DLINK setup, the cameras are $50 for daylight, or $70 for night/day, WIFI, and the NVR(network video recorder) is $300, but still requires you to ad hard drives.. had two bays... so 2x 2TB drives will hold 3 weeks of video from 4 cameras..

and the NVR can handle up to 8 cameras.. which is handy.. not that i need that many...

i have a knock off foscam in my house that i bought for ~$50 off amazon, pan/tilt/IR with decent enough resolution

i run it through the SecuritySation on my Synology NAS and it works great...the camera was supposed to have its own network software but i never tried it

If you have any kind of a NAS in your house it should be realatively easy to set up an IP camera server that can be acessed remotely

cant recomend the synology set up enough...i can get email alerts if there's motion, auto record, run 24 cameras, save still pictures, and view/control it all from my phone or any other computer. its the tits (not to mention all the other badass features of the NAS)

thanks for the info, what exactly is the process of setup?

say i bought a synology 2 or 4 bay NAS unit, tossed 2-4 2TB drives in, attached it to my 24 port switch...

get say 2-3 cameras that are wifi, place them, sync them to wifi network...

what else must i do at that point?

First you have to go through the process of making your NAS accessable over the internet...with the synology diskstation this is usually pretty straight forward. However, somehow my router wasn't on the massive compatablility list so i had to manually configure my router to make it work

once its accessable over the web, you instal "Security Station" onto the diskstation, follow the setup (cake walk) and it will find any cameras on your network. my camera's were some knock off brand that wasn't on their suppported list, so i just set it up as if it was a foscam and worked no problem. The user interface can control any pan/tilt/zoom features that the camera has.

to view it remotely you either login to the NAS from any computer with internet access, or download the DScam app on your phone/tablet

if you're only interested in setting up an IP camera server, there's probably cheaper ways to do it. However, if your interested in a home server with the added functionality of security cameras the Diskstation is the way to go imo.

i will probably end up with two NAS units on my network eventually, one for the wife and one for me. she does photo stuff, etc... and i dont want her clutter with my clutter...

seems like $200 is what im looking at for a 2 bay, then $200 for 2x 2tb drives... then cameras which is likely $150, so $550...

looks like the synology thing only accepts one camera unless you buy licenses for additional cameras, so it would add, what appears to be, $57 per camera to add on..not the end of the world if its not like annual, but certainly ads to the price..

Just an idea...

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68332.pdf

http://www.harborfreight.com/surveillance-dvr-with-4-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-68332.html

Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras and Mobile Monitoring Capabilities $299.99

With one of those 20 % off coupons that are in just about everything it makes it affordable.

looks like the synology thing only accepts one camera unless you buy licenses for additional cameras, so it would add, what appears to be, $57 per camera to add on..not the end of the world if its not like annual, but certainly ads to the price..

Wierd, that's news to me if its true...mine had the option of like 50 cameras

Just an idea...

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68332.pdf

http://www.harborfreight.com/surveillance-dvr-with-4-cameras-and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-68332.html

Surveillance DVR with 4 Cameras and Mobile Monitoring Capabilities $299.99

With one of those 20 % off coupons that are in just about everything it makes it affordable.

i found a few of these sets like this, sadly most are wired, so id have to run wires to places i cant really run wires..

Wierd, that's news to me if its true...mine had the option of like 50 cameras

peraps its for a more advanced version of the system... or i read wrong... but i found ir on newegg while looking at synology products..

whoa this sounds cool.

So you guys are telling me i can get a camera that will send me a shot of dudes who come to my front door?  

what's the cheapest i can get this setup for, this sounds hella awesome

SURVEYLANCE

whoa this sounds cool.

So you guys are telling me i can get a camera that will send me a shot of dudes who come to my front door?  

what's the cheapest i can get this setup for, this sounds hella awesome

SURVEYLANCE

Do you own a drill?  This'll set you back about $15-20

peephole.jpg

Why do you need to see who is at your door when you're not there?

isn't that a good security concept?  cause if they kick the door in, i will know who it was, then i can go after them and murder them

yea, i feel like someone breaking into my house, ignoring the loud siren from the security system and police being on the way, then spending the time to break in, go straight down to the basement, pick the one locked door, break down THAT door, and unplug and steal the video DVR network devices worth way less than the tv's on the wall on the floor upstairs is probably not likely...all while beating the cops, 2 of which live on my street...

but i also live where there arent likely to be break ins at all, its mostly to watch kids and nanny's for me...

but when you wonder why that package is missing or who chipped the stone on the porch, etc... would be interesting...

I'd like to have cameras for vandals (protect my urban duck flock) amongst other things. As to the kids, if something happens, they both go down, that's simple. If you have a nanny or a babysitter you don't trust such that you need cameras...you need a new nanny or babysitter.

Maybe those are overly simplistic old fashioned answers, but I think there is something to the idea of building integrity in your children since the level of evidence in life seldom elevates to the standard of video evidence. Hopefully that didn't come off as "bad parent" because that wasn't my intention in the slightest. 

Just an alternate and less expensive take.

I'd like to have cameras for vandals (protect my urban duck flock) amongst other things. As to the kids, if something happens, they both go down, that's simple. If you have a nanny or a babysitter you don't trust such that you need cameras...you need a new nanny or babysitter.

Maybe those are overly simplistic old fashioned answers, but I think there is something to the idea of building integrity in your children since the level of evidence in life seldom elevates to the standard of video evidence. Hopefully that didn't come off as "bad parent" because that wasn't my intention in the slightest. 

Just an alternate and less expensive take.

The biggest part is for safety or robbery, but anyone with a nanny they arent related to wouldnt mind peeking in now and then, not totally for trust/theft issues but what they do with the kids for fun, watching tv, etc.. curiosity...

and also i agree on the kids part, thats the system now, i just wouldnt mind actually knowing which is lying the most and so on... 

Archived