Just looking for some ideas.

Our funding is absolutely zero for this....

When we have students come in to our office, traditionally we have a student 'sign in' with name, major, etc.  About once a week we have a work study input all this information into an excel spreadsheet.  As you can imagine, this means a ton of crappy time spent inputting that data.  We have 2500+ visits a semester - the data is important.

So, I've got an ipad at the front desk. Students enter their information in through a google form and it kicks that data to a google spreadsheet (pretty straight forward).  I have a local webpage pull basic information (name, reason for vist and the time they checked in).

It isn't a terrible system, but I'm hoping to do a little more and I'm hoping for some ideas (they don't have to be through google).

1)  Looking for a similar setup.  One that would automatically backup daily and clear the form would be cool.

2)  The ability to 'check' a box to indicate that a student has been helped.  The local webpage I have load just refreshes every 30 seconds with a list of the last 20 students to check in.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Just looking for some ideas.

Our funding is absolutely zero for this....

When we have students come in to our office, traditionally we have a student 'sign in' with name, major, etc.  About once a week we have a work study input all this information into an excel spreadsheet.  As you can imagine, this means a ton of crappy time spent inputting that data.  We have 2500+ visits a semester - the data is important.

So, I've got an ipad at the front desk. Students enter their information in through a google form and it kicks that data to a google spreadsheet (pretty straight forward).  I have a local webpage pull basic information (name, reason for vist and the time they checked in).

It isn't a terrible system, but I'm hoping to do a little more and I'm hoping for some ideas (they don't have to be through google).

1)  Looking for a similar setup.  One that would automatically backup daily and clear the form would be cool.

2)  The ability to 'check' a box to indicate that a student has been helped.  The local webpage I have load just refreshes every 30 seconds with a list of the last 20 students to check in.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Just an idea/suggestion;

Are you familiar with Access ?  A sign in screen for students set by the front desk would function for whatever you want inputted into a database which should eliminate any work study people from screwing the data up any more than it already is.  The less people inputting info the better.   Setting the database for backup is relatively easy to set on a schedule.  Allowing only an "administrator" to check the box from a separate screen that dumps into the same database is or should be good enough.  In other words, two store fronts and one warehouse.  Now all you need is someone with decent familiarity with Access that can custom tailor it for your needs.  Someone here might be able to do it but usually works best if you find one of those tech nerds at your school who need a favor or two.

I think I'm going to check with the campus 'web guru'.  I think the campus will provide a SQL (or some variation) DB for any department.  And I suspect he'll have a few suggestions for me.  This also insures some longer term support as opposed to it just being 'me' when something doesn't work.  Should provide more flexibility.

Archived