XBOX ONE Announcement, DRM concerns....

so they announced the new XBOX, and in talking DRM, it looks like microsoft wants to do some sort of locking of the game to a system or xbox live account.

either way this screws me, so im wondering if those with an xbox live family account would be granted the game for the whole xbox live family account, which includes 4 gamertags..

myself and both my sons have our own gamertag..

we have 2 xboxs and we will probably get two xbox 1's...with 3 gamers in the house, hell with 2 male children in the house its virtually a must...

anyway.. if they lock the game to a console, i would be screwed, not to mention the resale of used games, buying used games, etc..

this is a pretty big issue for many people and busniesses 

if they do a strict DRM and ps4 doesnt, the xbox will take a huge shit on the market... especially if its exploited which it would be by your game stops and such...

its a big enough bummer that its not going to play 360 games... kind of a dick move... not the end of the world.. but a dick move none the less..

UNLESS, they let you download them free from the marketplace my proving you own it or something...

anyone have any thoughts?

sony lost me as a customer by forcing cost up on their units by having a blu ray player i didnt want/need and large hard drive options that i had no use for either.. i had the ps1 and ps2 prior to the ps3 vs xbox 360...

I want to play video games but the industry is forcing me out. I thought I would retire because I outgrew gaming, not the industry taking a shit on the consumers. Oh well, I guess I will read books or something gay like that.

I want to play video games but the industry is forcing me out. I thought I would retire because I outgrew gaming, not the industry taking a shit on the consumers. Oh well, I guess I will read books or something gay like that.

100% of my gaming involves pwning n00b 5 & 7 yr olds at NBA2k13 and the like, so im geting raped by "the industry" whether i play or not because the kiddies would want the games anyway..

i just need to figure out which console is going to buy me dinner first...

Have they announced about DRM or 360 games? I know they said it doesn't require an always on connection to play games.

Anyway the tv integration stuff ..... game over sony

the announcement i read yesterday did say officially will not play 360 games..

but the DRm stuff is speculation based on old statements and patents by microsoft..

More info is coming in today. It looks like on the Xbox one you can set-up different profiles under the same account (i.e. one Master Gamertag and several sub-Gamertags). So, if you register the game under the Master Gamertag, all sub Gamertags can also play the game on any console (for example, if you go to your friend's house and log in with your gamertag on his console, it should also work).

The information is supposedly also locally stored, so in case your internet connection is down you can still play (unlike for example SimCity). But supposedly it's time limited, and you will have to re-establish the internet connection after a given amount of play time.

No true information how the used game stuff will work. Suggested is, like mentioned before, that there will be sort of a fee that will be associated with clearing the associated Master Gamertag for that game, meaning that publishers and microsoft get a piece of the Used Game Pie. No speculation on what this fee will be, but most are pegging this at $10, similar to some of the online play passes currently sold.

More info is coming in today. It looks like on the Xbox one you can set-up different profiles under the same account (i.e. one Master Gamertag and several sub-Gamertags). So, if you register the game under the Master Gamertag, all sub Gamertags can also play the game on any console (for example, if you go to your friend's house and log in with your gamertag on his console, it should also work).

The information is supposedly also locally stored, so in case your internet connection is down you can still play (unlike for example SimCity). But supposedly it's time limited, and you will have to re-establish the internet connection after a given amount of play time.

No true information how the used game stuff will work. Suggested is, like mentioned before, that there will be sort of a fee that will be associated with clearing the associated Master Gamertag for that game, meaning that publishers and microsoft get a piece of the Used Game Pie. No speculation on what this fee will be, but most are pegging this at $10, similar to some of the online play passes currently sold.

that makes sense, and that system would work for me completely, so that wipes away a lot of worry....

it would be sweet if they played 360 games... seems odd not to..

I imagine if it doesnt it wouldnt surprise me if they do the download patches that allow you to do that like they did for the old xbox games.

Seriously though, all that entertainment stuff it does with TV and the Kinnect.

Game Over Sony.

I imagine if it doesnt it wouldnt surprise me if they do the download patches that allow you to do that like they did for the old xbox games.

Seriously though, all that entertainment stuff it does with TV and the Kinnect.

Game Over Sony.

why is that entertainment stuff important?  if i want to watch TV ill turn off xbox

all that stuff seems gay

why is that entertainment stuff important?  if i want to watch TV ill turn off xbox

all that stuff seems gay

honestly thats my first impression too... i dont wanna use my xbox for anything buy xBOXing.. unless i ditch tv service and live off hulu, netflix and torrents then id use my xbox for sunday ticket..

but thats it...

Personally I like the idea of being able to turn the TV station by my voice instead of using the remote, but then I'm lazy. LOL

I also think the screen showing your fantasy team players getting points when they score is kinda cool.

Wait you can get sunday ticket without DTV?

all that stuff seems gay

Maybe not. I love the idea of bringing up a TV program guide without having to turn off the box or quickly checking out a game score without having to grab the remote. Ultimate wet dream is to have the football game on TV, play some game in the background and seamlessly switch back and forth (i.e. not have to sit through commercials).

Personally I like the idea of being able to turn the TV station by my voice instead of using the remote, but then I'm lazy. LOL

I also think the screen showing your fantasy team players getting points when they score is kinda cool.

Wait you can get sunday ticket without DTV?

theyve made sunday ticket available on xbox and ps3 for a year or two now..

It'll wind up being a niche game that gets me to buy one of those consoles, just like the last few generations. The overwhelming majority of my gaming is either First Person Shooters, or casual gaming. The computer is still the best way to play an FPS, and tablets are cornering the market on casual gaming. Consoles just haven't been at the heart of my gaming life since the Sega Genesis in college.

I bought the Playstation for Twisted Metal, the XBox for Crimson Skies, the Wii for... well, for the controller, and the PS4 for Little Big Planet. 

It'll wind up being a niche game that gets me to buy one of those consoles, just like the last few generations. The overwhelming majority of my gaming is either First Person Shooters, or casual gaming. The computer is still the best way to play an FPS, and tablets are cornering the market on casual gaming. Consoles just haven't been at the heart of my gaming life since the Sega Genesis in college.

I bought the Playstation for Twisted Metal, the XBox for Crimson Skies, the Wii for... well, for the controller, and the PS4 for Little Big Planet. 

Ditto. And like Ryan, the only reason I even own a PS3 and Xbox 360 is because of my children. I rarely play either of them since I vastly prefer the PC gaming experience, both in single player AND online. And I do not buy consoles when they first come out due to the cost. Let the suckers pay for the depreciation and the "I got one first!" bullshit. I only bought an Xbox 360 last Christmas, and while it was cheap, we ARE running into memory issues as I bought the 4G hard drive version....but I don't care. It's for kid's games and a thumb drive or two takes care of the memory issue.

Ditto. And like Ryan, the only reason I even own a PS3 and Xbox 360 is because of my children. I rarely play either of them since I vastly prefer the PC gaming experience, both in single player AND online. And I do not buy consoles when they first come out due to the cost. Let the suckers pay for the depreciation and the "I got one first!" bullshit. I only bought an Xbox 360 last Christmas, and while it was cheap, we ARE running into memory issues as I bought the 4G hard drive version....but I don't care. It's for kid's games and a thumb drive or two takes care of the memory issue.

the xbox 360 stayed the same price for nearly 8 years...

so you saved 100, MAYBE 170$, soooo

lets even say 7 years.

so i paid $2/mo to have a gaming system....7+ years earlier... oh the depreciation! 

i also bought another last xmas before last, as a second one, same 4gb u have...

so ill buy two xbox ones for $600, sell my 360's for a total of $150 probably... and have spent $450 for another 8 years+ gaming...

if your kids dont mind/care you are lucky and all good with your plan though..

my oldest is a nerd like myself and is already aware and eager for the new xbox launch... so if i CAN find them at XMAS, i will grab a few, if not, probably wait till july for bdays..

Ryan there is no way you are going to be able to A) buy TWO new Xbox Ones for $600 as the price at launch is going to be around $400-500 apiece, and B) the glut of Xbox 360's on the market now for next to nothing guarantees that you aren't going to be selling yours for $150. MAYBE half that. Maybe.

Upon review, you meant ALL your 360's (and I have no idea how many you are talking about...three?). I thought you meant ONE Xbox One and ONE Xbox 360. Nevermind. But I still didn't pay as much as people that "have to have it" upon launch. I paid $199 for the Xbox 4G last Christmas, which is FAR less than it cost at pretty much any other time.

And we will get YEARS of cheap gaming out of it as it will take a long time before Xbox 360 games go the way of PS2 games. I don't know why you don't think I am not saving money. We are content being behind the times and paying far, far less not only for the console itself but the games too. Remember, it's for kids, not me. I've got my PC for the latest launches.

:lol:

theyve made sunday ticket available on xbox and ps3 for a year or two now..

I thought you had to have DTV to have it available through that medium as an add on though?

"XBOX! Turn on PS4! Buy Sony stock!"

Yeah Sony wont go away at all, because they own the patton on Blu-Ray so they make money off every Xbox sold, but you can bet that Xbox wins this round of console wars again.

Archived