Gordon Gee to retire

Go Skins

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9342172/ohio-state-gordon-gee-retire-wake-controversy

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University president Gordon Gee is retiring following the revelation of recorded remarks in which he criticized Notre Dame, Roman Catholics and the Southeastern Conference.

The university announced Tuesday that Gee is retiring as of July 1. Gee made the joking remarks to the university's Athletic Council in December during an update on Big Ten expansion.

The recorded comments were obtained by The Associated Press, which published a story about them last week.

Trustees had called Gee's remarks unacceptable and placed him on a remediation plan after learning of the comments earlier this year.

Gee has been a successful college president but also prone to verbal gaffes, once calling Ohio's governor a "dummy" and likening the job of running a university to the Polish Army.

a bummer.  He stuck his foot in his mouth from time to time, but everyone I know who knows him personally (which is quite a few) had the utmost respect for him and what he's done for the university.  

yep.. It sucks..

You have to know that everything you say is being recorded these days. So some "joking" comments in a private setting gets outed.. Still can't let that happen when you are the pres of OSU... So you're gone...

More fuel for the Buckeye haters..... :1018:

Isn't he a major D-bag? 

No. He is loved by the vast majority of the student body and has vaulted OSU up the academic rankings. All while raising billions of dollars for the university. He is a quirky man who makes silly comments in private without realizing they would eventually be made public. It is unfortunate and there should be repercussions. Forcing the man into retirement should never had been an option. This will likely damage the school academically.

a bummer.  He stuck his foot in his mouth from time to time, but everyone I know who knows him personally (which is quite a few) had the utmost respect for him and what he's done for the university.  

Because he can raise money. Fuck that guy, his comments were inexcusable, especially in light of the modern era of social networking and camera phones.

No. He is loved by the vast majority of the student body and has vaulted OSU up the academic rankings. All while raising billions of dollars for the university. He is a quirky man who makes silly comments in private without realizing they would eventually be made public. It is unfortunate and there should be repercussions. Forcing the man into retirement should never had been an option. This will likely damage the school academically.

Vaulted? Perhaps "slid up a few notches for a football factory school"?

He has done good things, and it's tougher to get into OSU as a Freshman for sure which is what alot of rankings measure. He has been phenomenal at raising money no doubt.  Some of what he has done is a bit hollow, it's come with a price.

Because he can raise money. Fuck that guy, his comments were inexcusable, especially in light of the modern era of social networking and camera phones.

I don't love the guy, but I his comments were clearly just a joke.

keep in mind it was a joke made in private.  The things he said weren't as bad as what you'd read on this site on a daily basis.  The only difference is none of us is the president of a university.

Vaulted? Perhaps "slid up a few notches for a football factory school"?

I think you're showing some bias.  Ohio State has recently been ranking in the top 20 and top 25 of various rankings of universities. 18th ranked public university (56th overall) by US News.  11th in the QS World University Rankings. Ranked 24th nationally in The Lombardi Program on Measuring University Performance.

Their law school, business school, political science school, engineering school, school of education and medical school are all ranked in the top 30 of their respective fields. Many are actually ranked in the top 15.  Ranked 11th overall in research.

Ohio State Athletics statement on retiring of Gordon Gee
Gene Smith, Ohio State Associate Vice President and Director of Athletics

"I want to thank Gordon for what he has done for me as a person and for his contributions to higher education and in particular to The Ohio State University," Gene Smith, Ohio State associate vice president and director of athletics, said. "I am appreciative for all his contributions as a president to intercollegiate athletics on a national level. I wish he and his family all the best." 
Urban  Meyer, Ohio State Head Football Coach
"It is hard to put into words the respect and love I have for President Gee," Urban Meyer, Ohio State head football coach, said. "His leadership brought me home to this great university and to this great state of Ohio. I will always be thankful and grateful to him for that. He has been a wonderful advocate for collegiate athletics and for The Ohio State University. It has been an honor to work for him. I wish him the best as he moves into retirement."
Thad Matta, Ohio State Head Men's Basketball Coach
“Dr. Gee has done so much for me personally and as a coach," Thad Matta, Ohio State head men's basketball coach, said. "He has always gone above and beyond the call of duty to help build our program. I have never met a person who loves this university more than Dr. Gee."

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2VLOnoR00

I think you're showing some bias.  Ohio State has recently been ranking in the top 20 and top 25 of various rankings of universities. 18th ranked public university (56th overall) by US News.  11th in the QS World University Rankings. Ranked 24th nationally in The Lombardi Program on Measuring University Performance.

Their law school, business school, political science school, engineering school, school of education and medical school are all ranked in the top 30 of their respective fields. Many are actually ranked in the top 15.  Ranked 11th overall in research.

During his time it certainly has been harder for a soon to be Freshman to get into OSU.  Which is what a lot of rankings go by. And he built a lot of cool things. And he raised a lot of money.

Archived