I need a camera to take pictures of football players

I'm a fan of Canon cameras, but Nikon makes a good one as well.  Any of the entry-level DSLR's will have a sports mode, and usually come with a kit lens which should give you a decent range.

This one is only $429 and you can also get a good deal via B&C Camera here in town.  Hell, I can meet you at one of their stores after work one evening and help you find a good one... 

That's not a bad price, particularly since it comes with 3 lenses and the battery pack.  See if he'll bit on $250, but I wouldn't be too concerned over that price.

First question to ask is how many actuations does the camera have?  That's the fancy way of asking how pictures have been taken on it, but if you ask the fancy way he'll think you know what the fuck you're talking about.  If it's a high number, say 35,000 then see if he'll take less.  The shutters on those are only good for about 50,000 shots but that would still be a decent price if you could squeeze another 15,000+ shots out of it... 

The 75-300 is the one you want. That will allow you to stand midfield and zoom in to either end zone, or stand at the back of the end zone and zoom into midfield.
The 18-55 will give you wider angle shots of the entire field.

Archived