2013 Opponents Thread

It's likely Goodell will treat him like Vick.

I don't think he will need to.   I can't imagine he can go to another team while under indictment for murder since he probably can't travel.  Besides, only an idiot would sign this guy right now even if he was given permission to travel. That only leaves the Raiders.

It's likely Goodell will treat him like Vick.

He probably won't have to.  Dude is out of the league now and assuming he's ever cleared, why bother when he's just a TE instead of a QB?  I don't think teams will be nearly as interested in a TE that hasn't played in a while.

I don't think he will need to.   I can't imagine he can go to another team while under indictment for murder since he probably can't travel.  Besides, only an idiot would sign this guy right now even if he was given permission to travel.  Well, except the Raiders.

...as added protection for the Pats decision, ...it's more likely than not.

He probably won't have to.  Dude is out of the league now and assuming he's ever cleared, why bother when he's just a TE instead of a QB?  I don't think teams will be nearly as interested in a TE that hasn't played in a while.

Excellent point.  He doesn't have nearly enough impact on the game to warrant taking such a HUGE PR hit. 

...as added protection for the Pats decision, ...it's more likely than not.

Probably right.  Sure there were conduct clauses in his contract for the occasional murder or rape nonetheless. 

...consider it dotting your i's and crossing your t's.

Probably right.  Sure there were conduct clauses in his contract for the occasional murder or rape nonetheless. 

That point doesn't matter that much considering I believe he will do jail time for this incident, .,,his actions scream guilt.

I'm not sure how any lawyer can keep him out of jail.

That point doesn't matter that much considering I believe he will do jail time for this incident, .,,his actions scream guilt.

I'm not sure how any lawyer can keep him out of jail.

I was just pointing out that the Patriots probably didn't need to be covered most likely.   I agree with you that the Commish will probably take the normal steps and ban this guy until further notice.  The last thing the league needs is Hernandez to be released pending trial and some dumbass team picking him up.

I was just pointing out that the Patriots probably didn't need to be covered most likely.   I agree with you that the Commish will probably take the normal steps and ban this guy until further notice.  The last thing the league needs is Hernandez to be released pending trial and some dumbass team picking him up.

What do you think?

I think he's done, ...stick a fork in him.

I think no team will have a chance to "kick the tires" because he has left his high-power attorneys with a PR nightmare.  Court news usually has an ebb and flow with pro and con articles but he has taken a hammer to his cell phone (you can't break those things by just dropping them), the same for his security system, and he brought in a cleaning crew, ...it screams guilt.

What do you think?

I think he's done, ...stick a fork in him.

I think no team will have a chance to "kick the tires" because he has left his high-power attorneys with a PR nightmare.  Court news usually has an ebb and flow with pro and con articles but he has taken a hammer to his cell phone (you can't break those things by just dropping them), the same for his security system, and he brought in a cleaning crew, ...it screams guilt.

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

He didn't drop to the 4th round because of his skill to start with.  Guy was an All American playing in the SEC.

The red flags on this guy must have been mind numbing.

Pretty sure he signed a five year extension for $40m. I'm sure the team has plenty of out clauses and won't feel any cap pain, although I have read that there is some verbiage in his contract where he can still get $2.5m of it...

Schefter tweeted earlier that by releasing Hernandez the Patriots waived all rights to recoup bonus money or salary through the CBA.  cap charge is $5.092 in 2013 and $7.5M in 2014, which is remaining pro-ration of signing bonus.

I suppose Commish could just call other teams on the QT and tell time to get in touch before doing any such thing.  That way the process of forgetting this dude is an NFL player can get on that much faster.

Schefter tweeted earlier that by releasing Hernandez the Patriots waived all rights to recoup bonus money or salary through the CBA.  cap charge is $5.092 in 2013 and $7.5M in 2014, which is remaining pro-ration of signing bonus.

And Hernandez's lawyer is loving it.

They are saying on NFL AM now that the fact they didn't contact his lawyer first means it's probably murder or conspiracy and not just obstruction.

Do we really want a 3rd string TE with this many issues?

:lol:

I know. At least I didn't give it it's own thread as is tradition when ANYBODY gets released.

I know. At least I didn't give it it's own thread as is tradition when ANYBODY gets released.

And please don't ask if the Browns would be interested in signing Hernandez. This offseason has been rough enough already for the Browns.

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/66776-afcn-offseason-thread-flacco-highest-paid-player-in-nfl-history/page-17

The NFL also weighed in with this statement:

"The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling. The Patriots have released Aaron Hernandez, who will have his day in court. At the same time, we should not forget the young man who was the victim in this case and take this opportunity to extend our deepest sympathy to Odin Lloyd's family and friends."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78359/patriots-issue-statement-on-hernandez

My guess is there is more to the story. Could be wrong. Probably something in his contract. Cap wise is a different story.

My guess is there is more to the story. Could be wrong. Probably something in his contract. Cap wise is a different story.

In their shoes, I don't know if it would be worth the stink to try and recover money.  Not paying out money and making the dude sue them for it might be another story going forward, but even then it might be worth a check to be able to say "Hernandez who?"  from now on.

Not paying out money and making the dude sue them for it might be another story going forward, but even then it might be worth a check to be able to say "Hernandez who?"  from now on.

I doubt Hernandez will be in any position to sue for unpaid bonus money if he's unable to report to the team on the required dates.

Archived