Air Conditioner Compressor Repair (car)

isnt the compressor alone like $500?

is it just the AC clutch by chance?

too low on refridgerant to kick on?

thats a tough one to call as the for sure issue...  and seeeeemingly expensive repair...

DIY seems tough but didnt find any real DIY instructions...

Just went through this myself. My AC clutch went out the summer of '11 and a mechanic friend fixed it for me for $200. The compressor went out the summer of '12 and I just drove it with the windows down last year and I tried the do it yourself coolant recharge can - nothing. I just got it fixed a couple of weeks ago at the dealership, $1,100.

Just went through this myself. My AC clutch went out the summer of '11 and a mechanic friend fixed it for me for $200. The compressor went out the summer of '12 and I just drove it with the windows down last year and I tried the do it yourself coolant recharge can - nothing. I just got it fixed a couple of weeks ago at the dealership, $1,100.

What all did the dealer say was wrong with it ?  The compressor alone is costing about $365 and under depending upon the engine size.  http://www.discountacparts.com/2007/Nissan/Altima/A-C_Compressor.html

I've replaced them before on a Jeep Cherokee but had a second set of eyes watching for my mistakes.  Not difficult on a Jeep as long as someone has that second set of eyes.  Don't know the location of yours but some of those cars can be difficult to access anything in the engine bay.

One other option is to take it into a repair shop and "ask for an estimate" to fix before actually having the work done by yourself or them IF the price is right (See Bob Barker for further explanation).  It is possible there is a leak in addition to other possible problems which might help explain why your recharge efforts failed.  Don't know for sure but follow the advice of my father and hang onto friends in the A/C, Heating, and Car repair business.  Sometimes involves swapping some construction work, landscaping, cabinetry, beer, etc...  but in the end a barter system can work depending upon what is considered fair by both people involved.

isnt the compressor alone like $500?

is it just the AC clutch by chance?

too low on refridgerant to kick on?

thats a tough one to call as the for sure issue...  and seeeeemingly expensive repair...

DIY seems tough but didnt find any real DIY instructions...

I'm hoping the freon is just too low for the compressor to kick on.  Talking to a friend he said cars are made that way now so when the freon is low the compressor won't burn out.  I looked at some DIY, but this one looks a little too tough.  I'm going to try to recharge it myself first to see if the compressor works, but if not I'll take it to the dealer.  They quoted me $1100, same as Enon.

What all did the dealer say was wrong with it ?  The compressor alone is costing about $365 and under depending upon the engine size.  http://www.discountacparts.com/2007/Nissan/Altima/A-C_Compressor.html

I've replaced them before on a Jeep Cherokee but had a second set of eyes watching for my mistakes.  Not difficult on a Jeep as long as someone has that second set of eyes.  Don't know the location of yours but some of those cars can be difficult to access anything in the engine bay.

One other option is to take it into a repair shop and "ask for an estimate" to fix before actually having the work done by yourself or them IF the price is right (See Bob Barker for further explanation).  It is possible there is a leak in addition to other possible problems which might help explain why your recharge efforts failed.  Don't know for sure but follow the advice of my father and hang onto friends in the A/C, Heating, and Car repair business.  Sometimes involves swapping some construction work, landscaping, cabinetry, beer, etc...  but in the end a barter system can work depending upon what is considered fair by both people involved.

Not bad advice at all.

Archived