Ramadan Mubarak! Rumble/Elijah/Khatmandude/AbuZayd/PakMan/iwamaS

Khatmandude

A little late, but wanted to wish everyone Ramadan Mubarak.  We Muslims fast from approx 4:45am - 9pm during the next 27 days (3 days have already passed in Ramadan, which is a month according to the Hijri Calendar based on the lunar cycle).  

There is great benefit in fasting as modern science has now reveleaded but for Muslims, Ramadan and fasting is much more than a health benefit in the physical sense.  Learning discipline, empathy....building a connection with your fellow man and our Creator, learning greater appreciation, learning patience, learning moderation.....so many principles that help one to lead a better, more fulfilling life are practiced.  I hope all the people fasting take advantage of its opportunity to grow as a person in the most important sense.....spirituality.

And if there's anyone who would like to try fasting.....I'll gladly open our fast together and buy you dinner, but you'll have to wait until 9pm to eat :) 

Ramadan Karim! 

I always wondered how Muslims dealt with their work/sleep schedules during a fasting cycle. It must suck working a 9-5 job and not being able to eat all day...and then waiting another four hours after work before you can. And if you don't say, set your alarm for like 2 in the morning so that you can eat more than one meal in a day due to needing to sleep to go to work the next day how you get by.

I always wondered how Muslims dealt with their work/sleep schedules during a fasting cycle. It must suck working a 9-5 job and not being able to eat all day...and then waiting another four hours after work before you can. And if you don't say, set your alarm for like 2 in the morning so that you can eat more than one meal in a day due to needing to sleep to go to work the next day how you get by.

It is difficult, but in that difficulty is the blessing.    I dont work any more as I got laid off little over a month ago so it's much easier for me this year but typical years, I would wake up very early, say 4am......eat until 4:30am, pray then go to sleep for an hour or two...get up, go to work, come home at about 6pm and occupy myself with various things until time to open fast at sunset.   Having said that, remember that Ramadan is based on the lunar cycle so falls back about 10-12 days each year.  Ramadan during the winter is cake.....eat until 5:30am or so and can open fast at 5pm or so when the sun goes down....summer obviously is more difficult due to the heat and longer daylight hours. 

It really makes a profound impact on you.  Fasting is more than obstaining from food and drink though....one should refrain from foul langauge, engaging in immoral acts etc.... It's WHOLEistic.....some people mistake Ramadan for only limiting food and drink during the daylight hours.  This is one of the biggest mistakes even Muslims make.   They treat the month as a 'ritual' as opposed to seeking the wisdom in it.   I know so called "Muslims" who treat people like crap, are quick to get angry, don't have compassion for their fellow man, yet obstain from food and drink during Ramadan and think they're doing what's been prescribed.  They're fooling themselves as the purpose of fasting isn't realized.  

Ramadan makes the observer a better human being first and foremost.  

It is difficult, but in that difficulty is the blessing.    I dont work any more as I got laid off little over a month ago so it's much easier for me this year but typical years, I would wake up very early, say 4am......eat until 4:30am, pray then go to sleep for an hour or two...get up, go to work, come home at about 6pm and occupy myself with various things until time to open fast at sunset.   Having said that, remember that Ramadan is based on the lunar cycle so falls back about 10-12 days each year.  Ramadan during the winter is cake.....eat until 5:30am or so and can open fast at 5pm or so when the sun goes down....summer obviously is more difficult due to the heat and longer daylight hours. 

It really makes a profound impact on you.  Fasting is more than obstaining from food and drink though....one should refrain from foul langauge, engaging in immoral acts etc.... It's WHOLEistic.....some people mistake Ramadan for only limiting food and drink during the daylight hours.  This is one of the biggest mistakes even Muslims make.   They treat the month as a 'ritual' as opposed to seeking the wisdom in it.   I know so called "Muslims" who treat people like crap, are quick to get angry, don't have compassion for their fellow man, yet obstain from food and drink during Ramadan and think they're doing what's been prescribed.  They're fooling themselves as the purpose of fasting isn't realized.  

I understand that the difficulty is the blessing. I can't really speak to Judaism but Christianity, like Islam, has elements of self-imposed denial/suffering that is supposed to by the nature of it be a means of getting ones self closer to God and a means of self-introspection. I appreciate the reply. I am always looking to gain insight and understanding of things I know little to nothing about, and in the case of Islam in particular, Americans would do well to bridge the divide by at least making an attempt to gains some understanding of the religion and the culture of Islam, rather than turning a billion people into the boogeyman in the room due to the extremist actions of the few.

I understand that the difficulty is the blessing. I can't really speak to Judaism but Christianity, like Islam, has elements of self-imposed denial/suffering that is supposed to by the nature of it be a means of getting ones self closer to God and a means of self-introspection. I appreciate the reply. I am always looking to gain insight and understanding of things I know little to nothing about, and in the case of Islam in particular, Americans would do well to bridge the divide by at least making an attempt to gains some understanding of the religion and the culture of Islam, rather than turning a billion people into the boogeyman in the room due to the extremist actions of the few.

Welcome....I completely agree...dialogue is needed.  I'm part of an inter-faith dialogue group that focuses on our commonalities vs our differences....and what we have in common between the Abrahamic faiths is significantly more than what divides us.   The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and all the prophets) was very clear in his treatment of non Muslims and forbade any Muslim from disrespecting other faiths (I know this is different from the media's version of Islam's prophet that we're used to hearing).   We're so alike as human beings, it's a wonder how we are able to focus solely on our differences.....although I don't think it's by chance that we do. 

Friends of mine would make this tea stuff to drink when they weren't fasting. It was really sweet and I guess had all sorts of stuff in it to help with hydration/nutrition etc during the day. Any idea what that is/was? It wasn't just the regular sage tea or the like, it was something they only made during Ramadan.

Also for anyone that's wondering, the elderly, young kids, pregnant/nursing women, diabetics or anyone else with a legit reason not to fast is excepted, at least from what I was told.

Friends of mine would make this tea stuff to drink when they weren't fasting. It was really sweet and I guess had all sorts of stuff in it to help with hydration/nutrition etc during the day. Any idea what that is/was? It wasn't just the regular sage tea or the like, it was something they only made during Ramadan.

Also for anyone that's wondering, the elderly, young kids, pregnant/nursing women, diabetics or anyone else with a legit reason not to fast is excepted, at least from what I was told.

Correct....anyone who is not physically able to fast should not fast.  It's about common sense.   I'm not sure of the tea you're referring to....I'll have to ask.  For my nutrition, I eat a few dates in the morning, Medjool dates, big, soft, delicious.  A 20 oz glass of water afterwards and I'm full as can be due to all the fiber in the dates.....I stay nourished pretty much all day long, have energy to do whatever I need and Mondays and Wednesdays I play basketball from 7 - 8:30 with no issue.  Well, dry mouth like a muddasooka but nothing that limits me to the point of not being able to do something.  Those nights, I come home and mash some food....

But yeah...now you got me all curious about this tea.   What demographic were your friends? 

Correct....anyone who is not physically able to fast should not fast.  It's about common sense.   I'm not sure of the tea you're referring to....I'll have to ask.  For my nutrition, I eat a few dates in the morning, Medjool dates, big, soft, delicious.  A 20 oz glass of water afterwards and I'm full as can be due to all the fiber in the dates.....I stay nourished pretty much all day long, have energy to do whatever I need and Mondays and Wednesdays I play basketball from 7 - 8:30 with no issue.  Well, dry mouth like a muddasooka but nothing that limits me to the point of not being able to do something.  Those nights, I come home and mash some food....

But yeah...now you got me all curious about this tea.   What demographic were your friends? 

Palestinian, by way of Jersey/Chicago.

& Medjool dates are awesome.

way harder than being a christian. one could just say they are totally sorry for being a huge peice of garbage 5 seconds before they die and its all mansions and BJ's in the clouds..

jest aside, i can appreciate anytime anyone takes steps to treat people better and do some life reflection. After my mom died i spent a lot of time occupying my mind with how much i had wasted my life, how i had treated people in the paste, and opportunities to do something greater. though i was eating pizza while doing it...

i really wish my wife would take such steps in her life, she trolls off to church with my kids patting herself on the back to and from, all while putting down people due to their life choices and so on.

I am eager for my children to reach an age of better life understanding, i do an ok job of taking the time to explain how they can hurt and have an impact other peoples lives when they do something mean or selfish, etc.. but i can see in things they say after church and so on how self serving it is for them all, as they are being fed how much better off they are because they go to a building once a week...

i am in no way perfect, but i am not patting myself on the back saying im such a good person either.

im going to make mistakes and impact others negatively many more times in my life, but i hope to make an effort to puirposely possitively impact people regularly..

my mom sactificed her life to care for my kids and her parents, and died in a horrible terrifying lonely way, it will haunt me forever, but it made me want to have that same impact on people..

life isnt fair, but dying after being a selfish clown for an entire lifetime isnt something i can live with..

way harder than being a christian. one could just say they are totally sorry for being a huge peice of garbage 5 seconds before they die and its all mansions and BJ's in the clouds..

jest aside, i can appreciate anytime anyone takes steps to treat people better and do some life reflection. After my mom died i spent a lot of time occupying my mind with how much i had wasted my life, how i had treated people in the paste, and opportunities to do something greater. though i was eating pizza while doing it...

i really wish my wife would take such steps in her life, she trolls off to church with my kids patting herself on the back to and from, all while putting down people due to their life choices and so on.

I am eager for my children to reach an age of better life understanding, i do an ok job of taking the time to explain how they can hurt and have an impact other peoples lives when they do something mean or selfish, etc.. but i can see in things they say after church and so on how self serving it is for them all, as they are being fed how much better off they are because they go to a building once a week...

i am in no way perfect, but i am not patting myself on the back saying im such a good person either.

im going to make mistakes and impact others negatively many more times in my life, but i hope to make an effort to puirposely possitively impact people regularly..

my mom sactificed her life to care for my kids and her parents, and died in a horrible terrifying lonely way, it will haunt me forever, but it made me want to have that same impact on people..

life isnt fair, but dying after being a selfish clown for an entire lifetime isnt something i can live with..

You don't have to go to church, or mosque, or a synagogue or temple to be a good person.  In contrast, I imagine there are a lot of 'bad people' who make appearances at these places mixed along with the genuine, good hearted people.  My dad used to tell me that just because I stand in a mosque, doesn't make me Muslim just as if I stand in a garage, it doesn't make me a car.   It translates a little weird, but in my language it sounded profound as shit.   I understood what he meant.  It's our actions that define us, not what we proclaim to be.

I don't need anything to know you're a good dude other than how I know you.  And you're a good dude and you have the right attitude, mentality from my perspective.  We're all human, we're going to mess up and do things that aren't the most wise.....hell, I was guilty of it in the Trayvon Martin thread.  But you learn through life experience and improve yourself as a person as a result...that's all that can be expected of someone, realistically.  If we were each to do this, society would be much better off as a result. 

It's funny, I did the same introspective searching after my father passed away a few yrs ago.  Reminders of our mortality have a tendency to do that I would imagine....

I'm not Muslim and probably will remain a religious "free agent" for the rest of my life as certain aspects of several eastern and western religions do appeal to me, but this thread has definitely piqued my interest and I will be doing some independent research into Ramadan as it sounds like something I may want to incorporate into my own personal practices.

A little late, but wanted to wish everyone Ramadan Mubarak.  We Muslims fast from approx 4:45am - 9pm during the next 27 days (3 days have already passed in Ramadan, which is a month according to the Hijri Calendar based on the lunar cycle).  

There is great benefit in fasting as modern science has now reveleaded but for Muslims, Ramadan and fasting is much more than a health benefit in the physical sense.  Learning discipline, empathy....building a connection with your fellow man and our Creator, learning greater appreciation, learning patience, learning moderation.....so many principles that help one to lead a better, more fulfilling life are practiced.  I hope all the people fasting take advantage of its opportunity to grow as a person in the most important sense.....spirituality.

And if there's anyone who would like to try fasting.....I'll gladly open our fast together and buy you dinner, but you'll have to wait until 9pm to eat :)

Ramadan Karim! 

Add maanster to the list if he is still around.

Sorry state of affairs in our country today where I am not sure what to say to with you and all well during your

sacred Holy days but the thought and sentiment remains the same and sincere.

Add maanster to the list if he is still around.

Sorry state of affairs in our country today where I am not sure what to say to with you and all well during your

sacred Holy days but the thought and sentiment remains the same and sincere.

Sorry Harry, didnt quite understand the last part of your post fully.  But thank you for your thoughts if I'm getting the gist of it.   Completely forgot about maanster...

Palestinian, by way of Jersey/Chicago.

& Medjool dates are awesome.

My best friend is Palestinian, I asked him about this and he wasn't aware so I accused him of being an Israeli spy pretending to be Palestinian!  He threw a rock at me.  He said that they drink black tea with mint in it but otherwise he wasn't aware of any.  If you don't mind, next time you talk to one of those friends, ask them what it is exactly.....I'm super curious. 

Medjool dates are the whoop.  Jumbo ones, soft and flavorful.....mmmmmm.  I have 4.5 hrs to go until I can enjoy one but in the meantime, I'll think of those less fortunate around the world whose 9pm will never come....they don't have that meal waiting for them at sundown.   Or maybe ever. 

I'm not Muslim and probably will remain a religious "free agent" for the rest of my life as certain aspects of several eastern and western religions do appeal to me, but this thread has definitely piqued my interest and I will be doing some independent research into Ramadan as it sounds like something I may want to incorporate into my own personal practices.

Very commendable.....Hope for good fortune for you on your path to 'enlightenment'. 

Sorry Harry, didnt quite understand the last part of your post fully.  But thank you for your thoughts if I'm getting the gist of it.   Completely forgot about maanster...

I apologize for the miscommunication.

I am wishing you and all a very good Holy days.

And hope it comes out right.

My best friend is Palestinian, I asked him about this and he wasn't aware so I accused him of being an Israeli spy pretending to be Palestinian!  He threw a rock at me.  He said that they drink black tea with mint in it but otherwise he wasn't aware of any.  If you don't mind, next time you talk to one of those friends, ask them what it is exactly.....I'm super curious.

:lol:

It was definitely a black tea & had mint in it, but I'm pretty sure they'd thrown in some other stuff, too.  Had a lot of sediment in the bottom of the jug etc. Could very well be a family recipe - I'll try to remember to ask about it.  They've got a whole bunch of recipes I'd like to get from them, as far as that goes.

:lol:

It was definitely a black tea & had mint in it, but I'm pretty sure they'd thrown in some other stuff, too.  Had a lot of sediment in the bottom of the jug etc. Could very well be a family recipe - I'll try to remember to ask about it.  They've got a whole bunch of recipes I'd like to get from them, as far as that goes.

Yeah, some Palestinian dishes are delicious.  Did you ever get the pleasure of eating fatayeh? I think that's what it's called.....it's like a pancake wrapped around walnuts with a sweet syrup drizzled over top........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.    Or the dish consisting of rice, meat, potatoes and cabbage called mekloobah (sp?).  Alright, now I'm hungry.....1 hr to go!   Do ask them, curious about the super tea. 

Archived