Boston Police Officer Arrested In Plymouth For Possession Of Military Grade Explosives

Numbers

I kept wondering to myself, what a police officer needs this type of ammunition for ?  I can only come up with one reason why a person would need this type of ammunition/explosives.  At least, they took away his gun and badge.  However, they placed him on "paid administrative leave" and released him on bail. 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/12/boston-police-officer-arrested-on-explosives-charges/

Boston Police Officer Arrested In Plymouth For Possession Of Military Grade Explosives

PLYMOUTH (CBS/AP) – A Boston police officer is free on $1,000 bail after police in Plymouth say they found a cache of military grade explosives in a shed at his former home.

Kirk Merricks, 43, of Dorchester, was charged Friday with 11 counts of possession of explosives, along with theft and ammunition charges.

Police say they received a call on Thursday from the homeowner, identified as Merricks’ estranged wife, saying she was cleaning out a bedroom closet and found four ¼ sticks of TNT and assorted ammunition in a metal box marked “highly explosive.”

The bomb squad responded to the home on Paddington Way, where explosives experts recovered a briefcase from a shed outside the home that had “a bandolier that contained four military-grade M203 rounds, six detonator cords with attached blasting caps and two rolls of timed fused cord connected to non-electric fixing mechanisms,” District Attorney’s office reported.

Merricks is accused of stealing those explosives and storing them in the shed.

Plymouth Chief Michael Botieri says investigators think the items were stolen because they are military grade and not available for purchase by the general public.

While Merricks is licensed to carry Boston police-issued ammunition, ammo possession charges were also filed because the ammunition that was recovered was not police-issued, according to investigators.

Boston police have placed Merricks on paid administrative leave and taken away his handgun and badge. He has worked for the department since 1999.

Merricks was released on bail and the case was continued until a probable cause hearing on September 10.

If convicted, he could face up to 27 years in prison.

I'm also wondering how much his "estranged wife" knew before she became estranged.

Isn't the All-Star game coming up......in New York?   Maybe he had plans for then....

What if this guy was a brown skinned dude.....he sure as hell wouldn't be out on $1000 bail.  He'd probably be on his way to a place a little south of the US.

Lol. Apparently you didn't click the link.

Well you know me (literally), self hating white person with white guilt.

You should be ashamed of yourself!  Don't you know racism doesn't exist anymore?  I think the last person who had racism was given anti-racism pills and have since been alleviated of this condition.  There hasn't been an outbreak of racism in decades!  

You should be ashamed of yourself!  Don't you know racism doesn't exist anymore?  I think the last person who had racism was given anti-racism pills and have since been alleviated of this condition.  There hasn't been an outbreak of racism in decades!  

Died like polio

Lol. Black != Brown. 

You're telling me that if a Saudi guy named Muhammad Hussain had been found with this sort of thing in his house, he'd be getting off on bail? LOL indeed. 

Or even an American guy named Muhammad, for that matter.

Here are a few questions;

1.  Who did he steal it from ?  He was in the Gulf War and Afghanistan and possibly obtained them there.  Lots of stuff gets shipped home that should never make it back stateside.  Scary when you think about what could be brought back in on a military chartered plane or a military plane/ship/etc...

2.  How come there is no inventory control ?  and if so how much more explosives are out there outside the normal channels ?

3.  Why was he not held for 24 hours with his rights waived ?  Like so many others in possession of mass amounts (or even small amounts) of explosives.

4.  Why only 1000 dollar bail and why was he released ?  Sets a double standard IMO.  Seriously, if he had this stuff in the house he needs to be under lock and key until someone knows for sure what's going on.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52453648/ns/local_news-boston_ma/

Merricks’ attorney said his client served in the Gulf War and the war in Afghanistan and was discharged honorably. He said the explosives could belong to his son who is also in the military and he questioned Mrs. Merricks’ motive in calling police.

As a partial answer to your questions, I can tell you that a lot of members of the various militia groups are ex-military, and suggest you read up on the "Relics & Curios" provisions of a Collector firearm license. Having done that, I would then suggest reading up on the Hutaree Militia case and contrasting that with prosecution of similar groups with Islam as part of their ideology.

Archived