Fantasy Football Draft Tips...

You should always take the player who gets the most points earliest in the draft, which for many scoring systems is a Kicker.  I recommend taking the best Kicker in the first round, then take the next-best Kicker who doesn't share the same bye week in the second round.  You'll have that position locked-up, and if other managers don't draft Kickers early, go ahead and take two or three more - you'll have the market cornered and they'll have to offer unbalanced trades to your benefit to pry one of those sweets from your hands.

Championship!

You should always take the player who gets the most points earliest in the draft, which for many scoring systems is a Kicker.  I recommend taking the best Kicker in the first round, then take the next-best Kicker who doesn't share the same bye week in the second round.  You'll have that position locked-up, and if other managers don't draft Kickers early, go ahead and take two or three more - you'll have the market cornered and they'll have to offer unbalanced trades to your benefit to pry one of those sweets from your hands.

Championship!

I disagree here.  I think it's best to have a mix of high quality positions. 

If your league drafts a team defense, be sure to go Kicker in round 1 as stated above, followed by Team Defense in round 2 (obviously followed by another K, then TE).  Leave the skill positions like QB, WR and RB until the later rounds.  You can always score a special player like Blaine Gabbert or Santana Moss later in the draft.  While everyone else is going with RBs early, you can smile and know that Ryan Williams, Peyton Hillis and Roy Helu will be out there waiting to be snatched up later on.  You can never have enough game-changing TE's like Brent Celek and Mercedes Lewis either.  Also, don't sleep on the NO defense.  Big Rob Ryan will have them at peak performance in no time!

I disagree here.  I think it's best to have a mix of high quality positions. 

If your league drafts a team defense, be sure to go Kicker in round 1 as stated above, followed by Team Defense in round 2 (obviously followed by another K, then TE).  Leave the skill positions like QB, WR and RB until the later rounds.  You can always score a special player like Blaine Gabbert or Santana Moss later in the draft.  While everyone else is going with RBs early, you can smile and know that Ryan Williams, Peyton Hillis and Roy Helu will be out there waiting to be snatched up later on.  You can never have enough game-changing TE's like Brent Celek and Mercedes Lewis either.  Also, don't sleep on the NO defense.  Big Rob Ryan will have them at peak performance in no time!

I find this post ludicrous. Lets break this down:

1) Gabbert!? GABBERT!? No chance I draft him before Tebow.

2) Santana Moss? Clearly you meant Randy.

3) Mercedes Lewis over Kellen Winslow Jr?

Come on Zins...

• 4 weeks later...

Concur.  Loading up on Kickers and Defenses early, cornering the market as you go, with a prime-time Tight End here and there, is without a doubt a killer strategy.  Then when the draft works its way into the later rounds as your opponents are squabbling with each over for the sloppy seconds you've left them, you get to cherry-pick the QBs RBs and WRs that will lead your team to a championship!

Archived