Laptop help

Sony Vaio laptop here. When I open the laptop it'll work for a few second and the laptop screen will go white making it unusable. Luckily I have a second screen hooked up to it and am able to drag what I need over before it clicks white and can work from the second screen. Okay, now the screen just started working again as I post this from my phone. It's been doing this for two days. Once yesterday and 3 times already this morning.

No messages, no errors, just a white screen. Again, the second screen hooked up to it works perfectly.

Thanks in advance. This is frustrating.

Unfortunately it sounds like the video controller is faulty (the external one to which you have the monitor attached is a separate unit).  If that's the case, you're looking at needing the motherboard replaced.  Only way to verify is to have a repair tech look at it; if you have a Laptop Xchange in your area, I've had good luck with them.

In the interim, you can check the Sony website and see if there are any updated drivers, firmware, and\or BIOS update for that laptop.  If there are, particularly for the video card or motherboard, go ahead and install them and see if that alleviates the issue. 

Archived