A crazy idea that may not be so crazy

Based off of what we are hearing, it sounds legit... I really hope that gruden will utilize these weapons that we have this season. Jones and sanu have also had an impressive camp also (from what I have read)...could be a very interesting offense this year. I am ready for next Thursday to see some of the guys in action.... NO INJURIES Please!!!

Just a question regarding the two TE offense.  Have the Bengal's ever had a potential dynamic at TE that we might just have this coming season ?  I could find no example but may have overlooked something somewhere. 

Dan Ross and ML Harris?   The year Ross went USFL Harris had 50 catches.

But with my idea he is on the field regardless, except when he needs a break, of course. He's at WR in the base offense, and TE2 in that set.

Orson Charles got almost 300 snaps last year as the second TE, which is more than I would've guessed. A healthy Eifert should double that total easily.

I'm just loving all of the playmakers and potential playmakers we have.  AJ, Eifert and Gio.  Throw in Hawkins and Gresham and there is no reason this offense shouldn't average at least 24 points per game.  Assuming Eifert and Gio live up to the hype.

I don't think Eifert will be a regular #2 WR, but I think he'll line up out there more than people think.  It just provides too many opportunities to load up one side with AJ, Gresham, and whoever else, then you get Eifert singled up on a corner to the other side and just throw a 15yd jump ball to him.  

I think we're gonna see any number of combinations of the following:

Green

Gresham

Eifert

Sanu

Jones

Hawkins

Charles

Bernard

BJGE

Green and Gresham seeing the most consistent snaps.  

Dan Ross and ML Harris?   The year Ross went USFL Harris had 50 catches.

Had Ross not gone to the USFL maybe but that duo never materialized.  When one was playing the other was sitting for the most part.

Source for the following info was obtained from http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RossDa00.htm and http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrM.00.htm

Dan Ross:  Games Started / total receiving yards

1979:  0, 516
1980:  16, 724
1981:  16, 910
1982:  9, 508
1983:  15, 483
No 1984 NFL Info (was with New Orleans Breakers of the USFL)
1985 (2 NFL teams, Bengals/Sea Hawks):  Bengals:  0, 63  Sea Hawks:  5, 72  Was also with Portland Breakers of the USFL during the year.

ML Harris:  Games Started / total receiving yards

1980:  0, 137
1981:  0, 181
1982:  0, 103
1983:  1, 66
1984:  16, 759
1985:  0, 123

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7914821/nfl-two-tight-end-set-latest-copycat-trend

By  John Clayton | ESPN.com  Originally Published: May 10, 2012

Nine of the league's 14 3-4 defenses are in the AFC. Placing a tight end on each side of the offensive line leaves those defenses wondering which side is the strong side. The extra tight end could slow down some of the league's top pass-rushing 3-4 linebackers.

With the NFC having 11 4-3 defenses, the guessing game for blockers is simpler. Most 4-3 defenses place their best pass-rusher on the right side. A good left tackle can often handle him. The better the left tackle, the better the chances of the offense slipping a tight end into routes.

The Patriots aren't the only AFC team thriving in two tight-end formations. The Texans, Steelers and Ravens ranked in the top 11 for two-tight end plays. They all made the playoffs. In fact, all six AFC playoff teams ranked among the top 17 for plays with two tight ends.

Just heard Marvin on Mike and Mike he mentioned that there were 3 wide receivers and hunt the number 2 wr spot. I think its Sanu, Jones, and I don't know who else it could be.

I don't think that Eifert will be the #2 WR though, the base offense will probably be a 2 TE 2WR set.

I have no idea but Cobi Hamilton has looked good in camps.

why? you'd have no problem slotting sanu in that role, and eifert trumps every skill set sanu has in spades. i don't see the concern.

unless you're being sharm the contrarian here.

Actually I was thinking of those movies in which a quote goes something like," it's quiet in here."    And the response is automatically,  "Yeah too quiet."

Just heard Marvin on Mike and Mike he mentioned that there were 3 wide receivers and hunt the number 2 wr spot. I think its Sanu, Jones, and I don't know who else it could be.

I don't think that Eifert will be the #2 WR though, the base offense will probably be a 2 TE 2WR set.

i really get the point jason's promoting in this thread. namely, how can you justify taking eifert off the field of play? he's the 2nd most valuable receiver on the team behind only AJ green. when push comes to shove and you need a completion, he'll likely end up even harder to defend than AJ. he catches everything thrown at him. his height/size/ speed creates mismatches that are nearly impossible to defend. other than giving him a blow, or unless you're going to a goal line jumbo run package, why would you ever take him out of your offense? 

that's the evolution i think we'll eventually see with our team and tyler eifert.

Archived