Wide Receivers

I think its:

Green

Sanu

Jones

Hamilton

Sanzenbacher

Tate or Whelan (I'd go with Whelan and see if somebody hurting for receivers will cough up a sixth for Tate)

To start the season.  If Hawkins starts the season on the IR, but could be the one the Bengals recall if he's healthy (especially if there's a WR injury).  If he does come back and all are health, I think it comes down to Sanzenbacher or Whelan/Tate (the Dennis Roland of the receiving corp).

I like this best right there.

I think the veterans on this team most at risk are Tate, Roland, Rey a-nd possibly even Geathers.  I think in each case, they represent value, but in the case of all (except Geathers) are looking at backup/ST roles where there are young guys that seem to offer similar production for less money with more upside.  I think anytime you have guys with three years or less going up against vets and there is negligible difference you always go young.

I added Geathers, but I doubt you see him go anywhere this year.  Hunt is too green and while Dunlap is very talented, injuries are still a concern with him - I expect RG to survive for at least one more year.

I think the veterans on this team most at risk are Tate, Roland, Rey a-nd possibly even Geathers.  I think in each case, they represent value, but in the case of all (except Geathers) are looking at backup/ST roles where there are young guys that seem to offer similar production for less money with more upside.  I think anytime you have guys with three years or less going up against vets and there is negligible difference you always go young.

I added Geathers, but I doubt you see him go anywhere this year.  Hunt is too green and while Dunlap is very talented, injuries are still a concern with him - I expect RG to survive for at least one more year.

I don't see Geathers on the same list.  He has a new and manageable contract.  None of the scrub DE/LB fellows seem to be showing anything worth worrying about.  Hunt remains a project.  Look for him to play out his deal, or perhaps get someone to compete for his job next year or the year after.

Guys on teams are always close to the edge.  Boom Herron is another one that might have to go to keep Burkhead off the PS.  Does Herron have PS time left?  Pollack and Hawkinson are direct threats to Roland, not to mention Fragel (I just see him gong PS this year).  Dimanche and Porter seem to push Rey down the list, plus he is hurt.  Tate's KR/PR skills help his cause over the average WR, but the new draft pick Hamilton and the possibility of using Sanzenbacher as a returner and get the "Shipley" /Wes Welker skillset on the roster might be chipping away at his lead.

That said, Tate played well in the game as WR.  But so did Hamilton and Sanzenbacher.

I think the only way Geathers goes anywhere is if someone like Dontay Moch really impresses at DE, and they want to keep him as a pass rusher in case MJ doesn't re-sign next year.

HaydenM - 

Hunt is our MJ Insurance policy.  Moch didn't show much in the game that I saw, even compared to other preseasons.

I'll take it one step further...Moch looked bad during the parts that I saw.  No awareness, no intangibles, severely lacking football instincts.  I was very disappointed when watching #52. 

I'll take it one step further...Moch looked bad during the parts that I saw.  No awareness, no intangibles, severely lacking football instincts.  I was very disappointed when watching #52. 

I don't know. He was getting some good pressure the few snaps I watched him.

But I never said he was going to make it. I merely stated that the only way Geathers is released is if someone like Moch is really impressive and shows they can be a possible replacement for MJ in case he leaves.

I'm hoping they just resign MJ next off-season. I have a feeling he will end up with the Atlanta Falcons though...

Nah, Hunt isn't going to play RDE.

I tend to think he's a strongside DE longer-term, too. He did some good things the other night, particularly bullrushing, but if he can get his pads down, he can be a nice run defender on the left side. 

It'll be interesting to see what role he plays this year - barring injury, probably just a ST guy - and spot rusher, potentially. So I could see him on the right side for those situations. 

HaydenM - 

Hunt is our MJ Insurance policy.  Moch didn't show much in the game that I saw, even compared to other preseasons.

Moch got pressure a few times, but overall I didn't think he showed much. It's been a long while since he had any game action - more than most everyone else - so let's see how he does next week, and if he can knock the rust off.

he may not get on the field here but if he goes to indianiapolis and reunites with Andrew Luck who he spent a few years with at Stanford that could be a very good duo so come on man

Don't think too many teams are going to be fretting about that combo...

I tend to think he's a strongside DE longer-term, too. He did some good things the other night, particularly bullrushing, but if he can get his pads down, he can be a nice run defender on the left side. 

It'll be interesting to see what role he plays this year - barring injury, probably just a ST guy - and spot rusher, potentially. So I could see him on the right side for those situations. 

it makes me wonder whether the hunt pick was really a good fit for this team. with them signing carlos to a long term deal, and our other LDE geathers extended this year as well, we have that position fairly settled.

i just can't envision hunt playing the weak side, as a replacement should we lose MJ. it doesn't seem like a good fit....the best fit.

I think he's athletic enough to be a RDE.  If the coaches like him better at LDE, a healthy Dunlap could play RDE.

Archived