Why...

Jason

Most black athletes, but not all, come from low income homes and baseball has become a really expensive sport to play over the last few years. Every kid needs a glove and they run well over 100 bucks. Then time you start looking at a bat, cleats, and batting gloves, you are looking at several hundred dollars. A lot of families can not afford that.

With a sport like basketball, you just need one ball and 10 kids can play and then with football most schools will provide kids all the equipment they need.

It all comes down to cost which is why you don't see a lot of black kids playing golf which is another expensive sport. If MLB and baseball players started to invest money in inner-city's and bought equipment for kids and then I think you would start to see a lot more black kids playing baseball.

The reason why you see so many players coming from the Latin countries now is because baseball has invested so much money in baseball academies and giving young kids equipment. They need to start doing the same here especially in a lot of the inner cities.

If the expense of equipment is your thinking, explain football.

As I stated above, almost all schools will provide kids the equipment. They will give out a uniform, helmet, and shoulder pads and after that there is not a lot of cost for kids. They only thing they need is cleats, mouth piece and cup. All those can be had for 100 bucks or a little under.

I'd argue that cleats, a mouth piece, and a cup aren't that much more expensive than a glove, a bat, cleats, and cup, the batting helmets and catchers equipment are also usually provided by the schools. Personally I think its part marketing, part cultural.

All things being equal you look at baseball only having to buy a bat and glove in addition to the things you also buy in football. (You can get Ash made bats pretty cheap, and starting level gloves fairly cheep too, now if you start getting into the higher level bats and gloves you may have an argument)

As I stated above, almost all schools will provide kids the equipment. They will give out a uniform, helmet, and shoulder pads and after that there is not a lot of cost for kids. They only thing they need is cleats, mouth piece and cup. All those can be had for 100 bucks or a little under.

Schools don't provide baseball equipment?

There are a few main factors in my mind.

- Baseball is boring to a lot of kids

- can't really play 3x3 baseball like with other sports

- you need a lot of space with baseball

I think you nailed it. You can throw tons of money at it, but it's not going to make kids more interested in it. Baseball season is very long with a lot of games and a lot of standing around during the game unless you're the pitcher or catcher. 

Kids sports are specialized today.

Baseball is a technical sport more so than pure athletism.     So kids must get into that early vs. waiting.    Keep in mind there are exceptions to the rule.

Cost is the correct answer.   Cost of equipment is an incomplete answer.   If you are going to have a kid excel in baseball they can't rely on County Knot-hole programs in which the costs are reasonable.  They can't rely on School teams.    The chances for success are greatly increased by getting involved early with these travel teams, specialized little league camps etc.   Just playing on School teams you'll be a no name to any college/pro scout.

Basketball - Highschool programs still retain a good amount of influence but it is losing it to AAU.   AAU teams are easier to organize due to the number of quality gyms available and ease of tournament organization.   Your chances of landing a scholarship in basketball by just playing on school teams is greatly reduced.   AAU coaches have a big influence so they are more than willing to do what it takes to get top athletic players that can play.

Football - by my estimation Highschool teams have retained the power.   There isn't a seperate option.  College coaches are going to the Highschool coaches for their pipeline.

It's like that across the board except football.    Volleyball - It reminds of the Dojo from Karate Kid they start young and feed them up through.   Highschool/School teams are an after thought.   College coaches get direct access to these kids through the clubs. Often these coaches are invited to practices.    Soccer/Indoor Soccer, same way.

Fees for these clubs/camps/leagues are huge.   Exposure to the next level to get a chance to play is easier gained by participation.  

Easier for a young black athlete to get involved with a AAU/School basketball team or school football team and that's gets them exposure for scholarships etc.

Baseball is more difficult due to cost of the leagues and camps.  You need those teams to get exposure for scholarships.  If a kid isn't playing baseball when they are young it's more difficult to make up the gap.   

Plus Deon Sanders and Michael Jordan scared them away with their inability to hit a curve ball. 

Archived