Site running amazingly slow on mac...ideas?

didn't try today (yet, ill try tonight after work) but its been consistant over the last few weeks

i view this site on my phone 95% of the time so i didn't care for a while, but since camp and hard knocks stuff has picked up I've tried logging in from home a few times and it usually stops loading after the top banner. If i click the "sign in" button it loads for about 5-10min and eventually opens the login box. After that, it takes about 5min for each page, forum, or thread to load. I eventually worked my way to the members only section and was able to download stuff no problem, so it seems like i'm just having a problem with the web interface

i noticed it first after i installed chrome (3 weeks ago maybe?), so i assumed it was a chrome issue, but i tried it with safari (which used to work fine) and it was the same thing.

What do you have as your DNS settings?  Go to System Preferences\Network\Select Current Connection on Left\Select DNS from Top Bar.

Try removing the addresses that are in there (if any) and replace them with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Those are Google's DNS servers so they generally work pretty well.

Then flush your DNS.  If you're on Lion and up, open a terminal and type:  sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

If on Leopard:  sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

if its stalling after the FIrST top banner but not the second one... its something to do with the ad banner, the amish one is local, so it displays instantly, if it now showing the second one, its your browser either trying to block or blocking the banner ads... or having trouble loading them...

thanks guys I'll look into this more when I get home

If it ends up being a problem with the Ads, like Go said, i should be able to adjust the browser's security to fix it, right?

Come to think of it, I think i installed Avast around the same time I installed chrome, so would it be possible that the security settings in Avast are causing the problem? That would at least explain why it used to work in Safari and doesnt now.

Archived