Is this the year a pure defensive player win the Heisman Trophy?

Jason

The thing that is going to help Clowney is that he already has a crazy amount of hype around him. He plays in the SEC and on the east coast is going to help him also. If he can have a solid year and get a few big hits like from the bowl game last year that ESPN will show a thousand times, then I believe he has a decent chance to win. 

Clowney being on South Carolina which is a quality SEC team but not a traditional big SEC school like Florida, Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tenn will give him opportunity to add to his already large amount of hype.

If South Carolina can get over the hump and make it to SEC Championship game and assuming his play doesn't fall off.   He'll have a shot.

The thing that is going to help Clowney is that he already has a crazy amount of hype around him. He plays in the SEC and on the east coast is going to help him also. If he can have a solid year and get a few big hits like from the bowl game last year that ESPN will show a thousand times, then I believe he has a decent chance to win. 

If he gets too many like that one, he's going to have some time to think about it from what I've heard. The large majority of refs that I've seen speak on the new targeting rules controversy have said that that would be called an illegal hit this year.

that continues to be an immensely overrated play.  90% of the DE's in the country make a play like that if they're also unblocked.  

It was a big hit, but that's what happens when you give a DE an unblocked shot at a RB 80lbs lighter than him.  

that continues to be an immensely overrated play.  90% of the DE's in the country make a play like that if they're also unblocked.  

It was a big hit, but that's what happens when you give a DE an unblocked shot at a RB 80lbs lighter than him.  

It does not matter if me or you could have made that play. It's just a play that ESPN showed a million times. Every voter can not watch every single game so they sometimes just go by what they see in highlights. So if Clowney can get a few big hits replayed a million times on ESPN, no matter how easy of a play it was, that will stick in voters mind when they vote and help him.

Archived