Laptop Wireless Issue

To try to make this as short and sweet as possible, I am having issues with a win7 laptop's wireless connection. Everything appears to be working fine (icon says internet access etc.), but when trying to open a webpage or download anything it is clear that it is not connected. Win7 troubleshooter says "Windows can't communicate with the wireless device or resource (primary DNS server)," which to me indicates that it is a router or provider issue. This, however, is clearly not the case since I can connect through my phone and tablet to the same network. Also, I have tried connecting the laptop to other networks with no luck, as well as running a system restore to a week prior to the issue arising. The laptop will connect when tethered, but this obviously isn't a permanent solution (also EasyTether won't load secure sites?). At this point I am presuming that it is the wireless card, but this still seems more like a software issue. I admittedly don't know enough to make that judgement, thus I am asking for laptop help on a Bengals message board.

Yeah I think you answered your own question that it's the wireless card. Someone smarter than me may have other solutions to offer but that fact that you CAN connect other devices to your network rules out the router, and that you CAN'T connect the laptop to other newtworks seems to point in that direction. Maybe a driver issue for the card?

So it seems as though after two weeks of google frustration I found a solution to the problem by using reddit's search function (which sucks). And of course it is immediately after I posted this topic. Sorry guys.

So the solution was... Network and Sharing Center > Wireless Network Connection Status > Properties > highlight "IPv4" click properties > click use the following DNS server addresses and change them to preferred 8.8.8.8 and alt 8.8.4.4 (which is apparently google)

Can anybody tell me 1) what the heck I just did and 2) if this will be a permanent solution

So it seems as though after two weeks of google frustration I found a solution to the problem by using reddit's search function (which sucks). And of course it is immediately after I posted this topic. Sorry guys.

So the solution was... Network and Sharing Center > Wireless Network Connection Status > Properties > highlight "IPv4" click properties > click use the following DNS server addresses and change them to preferred 8.8.8.8 and alt 8.8.4.4 (which is apparently google)

Can anybody tell me 1) what the heck I just did and 2) if this will be a permanent solution

DNS servers are what turn 174.36.222.18 into www.go-bengals.com so you don't have to remember a bunch of addresses.  ISP's are notorious for taking their DNS servers offline and not refreshing\pushing out the changes to their users.  When that happens, your computer is trying to figure out where www.websitename.com is located, but the DNS server it is speaking to says "Dunno what to tell you, dude".  

So yeah, changing the DNS IP addresses to Google's is a pretty stable fix because they aren't likely to change anytime soon...

DNS servers are what turn 174.36.222.18 into www.go-bengals.com so you don't have to remember a bunch of addresses.  ISP's are notorious for taking their DNS servers offline and not refreshing\pushing out the changes to their users.  When that happens, your computer is trying to figure out where www.websitename.com is located, but the DNS server it is speaking to says "Dunno what to tell you, dude".  

So yeah, changing the DNS IP addresses to Google's is a pretty stable fix because they aren't likely to change anytime soon...

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated. Seems like a very basic thing, can't quite comprehend why an ISP would not push out this information.

Archived