Hints from Hard Knocks that Dalton is ready to take the next step?

There are two quotes from coaches on hard knocks so far that make me think Dalton is poised for a big year.  I recall Gruden telling Dalton after one well executed deep pass during practice something like "where was that throw the last two years?".  Then in last nights episode Zampese tells Dalton he just executed the smartest (or best?) drive of his career (the second TD against TEN). 

Did anyone else catch these comments?  Not sure I remembered them correctly. 

Can't wait to prove all the Dalton haters wrong!

There are two quotes from coaches on hard knocks so far that make me think Dalton is poised for a big year.  I recall Gruden telling Dalton after one well executed deep pass during practice something like "where was that throw the last two years?".  Then in last nights episode Zampese tells Dalton he just executed the smartest (or best?) drive of his career (the second TD against TEN). 

yea I remember them.  The Zampese one was "smartest".  I'm guessing he made a lot of checks and audibles.  

There's been plenty of comments I think you could use re: Dalton having complete control of the offense now, to audible to any play he sees fit if he sees an opening.  

I wish we would have gotten more insight on the massive hit he took with blitzing LB second one through the hole.      Was it a protection breakdown?  Good call by Titans that simply caught the Bengals in a bad play?   Missing a hot read? Pre Snap failure? 

I think that was the 2nd TD drive.   Not sure. 

I wish we would have gotten more insight on the massive hit he took with blitzing LB second one through the hole.      Was it a protection breakdown?  Good call by Titans that simply caught the Bengals in a bad play?   Missing a hot read? Pre Snap failure? 

I think that was the 2nd TD drive.   Not sure. 

looked like a communication breakdown.  Smith and Zeitler crashed left to double a DL leaving only Gresham and Gio to block 3 guys.

The one where he got hit milliseconds after the throw?  I'm not convinced there was a breakdown but rather that the ball just has to get out quicker.  Not sure if he waited to long or the route took to long to develop but sometimes QBs get and they aren't always protection failures.

The one where he got hit milliseconds after the throw?  I'm not convinced there was a breakdown but rather that the ball just has to get out quicker.  Not sure if he waited to long or the route took to long to develop but sometimes QBs get and they aren't always protection failures.

looked like he rushed the throw though as the ball went like 3 feet over Sanu's head.

looked like a communication breakdown.  Smith and Zeitler crashed left to double a DL leaving only Gresham and Gio to block 3 guys.

I would guess a D-linemen led them that way and created the hole.   The player that made the hit definately was delayed in the blitz.   I think communication breakdown is adequate explaination but would also I to think that isn't the best way to counter it either.   

I wish HBO would have had Zamp, Gruden thoughts on it.   Would be interesting to hear their view of how it's supposed to work when a defense clearly has a good design and called at the right time.

looked like he rushed the throw though as the ball went like 3 feet over Sanu's head.

His reaction definately suggests he missed it or rushed it when he gets up.   But he clearly had time as the player making the hit delayed his blitz to run through the hole.

The question, I guess was Sanu the right target under that circumstance? 

There are some plays where a LB with cover duties is called on to blitz if nobody is in his zone to cover.  That might have been what happened there, that the MLB just took his shot when he saw that nobody was there to block and he had a clear path.

sounds like people are digging for reasons to feel good.

if the smartest drive you made in your career was in a preseason game against the titans .... *sigh*

or a more common sense approach:  you want your smartest drive to always be your most recent one.  Or as Marvin would likely say:  "your next one."

when dalton was told that was the best drive of his career Dalton responded with "one of many". Then Zampese says "one of many to come?".... It almost sounded to me like Dalton was saying he has had many like that to this point which I didn't like too much. I may be reading too much into it and maybe Dalton did mean one of many to come but it sure sounded a little arrogant to me at the time.

if the smartest drive you made in your career was in a preseason game against the titans .... *sigh*

Coming from the guy who has Carson Palmer and Jerome Simpson in their sig and conveniently only interjects in Dalton threads anymore.  Keep on keepin on that agenda dude.

Hating on Dalton is ridiculous. The guy could go 30/10 this year and there would still be a problem because we don't have Aaron Rodgers. I don't understand what there is to dislike at this point.

Only if the 10 INTs come in the last quarter of the season and we miss the playoffs by losing the last 4 games...

Also, people don't complain about players they don't have higher expectations for...if we all though AD was only capable of being an average QB we would accept it and move on.

when dalton was told that was the best drive of his career Dalton responded with "one of many". Then Zampese says "one of many to come?".... It almost sounded to me like Dalton was saying he has had many like that to this point which I didn't like too much. I may be reading too much into it and maybe Dalton did mean one of many to come but it sure sounded a little arrogant to me at the time.

pretty certain dalton is the one that said "one of many to come."

Only if the 10 INTs come in the last quarter of the season and we miss the playoffs by losing the last 4 games...

Also, people don't complain about players they don't have higher expectations for...if we all though AD was only capable of being an average QB we would accept it and move on.

Oh, that's crap.  Go thinks Dalton is worse than Casey Bramlett.

I agree!  I hate anything that sounds like progress.   I wish he was sucking ass right now, don't you? 

I feel like I remember your golden boy throwing the ball away on 4th down as his last play ever for the Bengals.  If that isn't some of the stupidest shit to ever take place in a football game I don't know what is.  Stop openly trolling your own site.

No, I'm positive Dalton's response was "one of many". Zampese then seamed a little surprised and responded with the "one of many to come?"response then Dalton hesitated then replied "yeah".

From everything Dalton has said since the beginning of the offseason...your first thought was that he was boasting about how many great drives he's had and not that he was talking about striving for more?  

Archived