2014 Positional Draft Analysis - October Update Added

Jason

Don't tell me it's too early.  It's a draft forum.  If you don't like it, stay out.  :)

QB: Dalton is most likely the starter at least through the end of his contract.  Unless he is absolutely awful this year, or has a career threatening injury, I do not see a QB before the 5th round.  I could see us drafting a practice squad kind of guy late though, to groom into his backup. Verdict: Not a need, late round possibility

RB: I do not know how much longer we have BJGE under contract.  He is reliable, and a good short yardage back, but he does not "impress" me.  If he is nearing the end of his contract I could see a mid round pick on a big back, maybe a guy with a little more speed than Bennie.  I am hoping for a nice career with impact from Gio, but he's not a Bell Cow.  Verdict: I would absolutely be in the hunt for a guy in 3 or 4.  Carlos Hyde anyone? (Yeah, I'm a "Buckeye Homer" but this early, with the exception of a few big name guys I'm not familiar with a lot of other team's players, and he's a big back with speed.)

FB: Between Pressly, Connor and maybe Charles I think we are good here for a few years anyway. Verdict: Not a need.

WR: I am hopeful that Jones and Sanu develop into productive WRs.  But there is a part of me that would like to add a 6'4" 220+ pound guy with maybe a little bit of speed to add to the mix.  Except when/if they split Eifert (or Gresham) out, we really don't have that right now (other than AJ, who is not 220+).  Verdict: I don't really see WR as a "need", but a BPA guy, especially a big one, I could see at any point in the draft.

TE: I think we are set for now.  Eifert and Gresham will be a great duo for a couple more years.  Smith or possibly Charles add quality depth.  Verdict: Not a draft need.

OT: I like our starters and our depth.  I think Whit has a couple more good years left, so I would not look OT early just yet.  I also think Fragel has the tools to eventually develop into his replacement.  Verdict: Not a need, but I am always open to adding O-linemen when they are BPA.

OG: I think Boling and Zeitler will develop into a formidable duo.  We also have decent depth at the position possibly with Hawkinson, Robinson, and Pollak.  I know there are a lot of people here that are not Boling fans, but I thought he played well until he hit the wall.  I think he takes a step this year.  Verdict: See OT

C: I like Cook.  He has shown he can play when healthy, and we have adequate depth with Robinson, Pollak and Johnson (PS?) Veridct: See OT.

K/P: We are good, not a need.

DE: All signs point to MJ93 being gone, but I hope I am wrong.  Dunlap is locked up, and Gilberry and Geathers provide adequate depth.  Hunt is a question mark at this point, but he has a world of talent.  If Hunt does not develop, and we do lose MJ, I could see us drafting a DE early.  We haven't done it in 1 lately, but it is possible this year.  Verdict: Possible first or second round pick.  Dream scenario (that won't happen) trade up for Clowney.

DT: Sign Geno.  If we do, we are good to go.  If not, I could see a DT in 2014 or 2015.  Verdict: Depends on Geno.

WLB: I am going to operate under the assumption that Burfict is our WLB and Maualuga is our MLB until the coaches show me otherwise.  I also like what I have seen of Lamur and DiManche.  WLB is not a need.  Verdict: Only as a late round BPA pick.

MLB: As much as many of us hate Rey, the coaches seem to like him, and so far this preseason he has played well.  My guess is he is here for at least the next 2 years.  I could see them moving Burfict inside if Rey leaves after that.  Schaefer looks to provide good depth.  Verdict: Not a need.

SLB: Harrison looks good, but he is 35, and on a 2 year deal.  Could Lamur play SLB?  What do we have in Brandon Joiner?  Verdict: I do see this as something of a need.  I would consider taking one as early as round 1 if he is of value.

CB: Right now we have quality starters and good depth.  But our starters are old (all pushing 30) and our backups are unproven.  Veridct: Ask me again at the end of the year, but unless there is another glaring need, I will never object to drafting CBs early. 

FS: Nelson is good, and signed.  I wonder who would be his top backup though?  Iloka?  Mays?  If Iloka does not win the SS job I could see him here.  Verdict: I could see a mid to late rounder on a backup FS.

SS: I like what I have seen of Iloka and Williams.  Unless they prove otherwise by the end of the year I am content.  Verdict: Not a need.

Summary of needs/wants in approximate order: DE, SLB, CB, RB, WR, OL depth, Backup QB.

I will re-assess later this season.

• 1 month later...

QB: Dalton is most likely the starter at least through the end of his contract.  Unless he is absolutely awful this year, or has a career threatening injury, I do not see a QB before the 5th round.  I could see us drafting a practice squad kind of guy late though, to groom into his backup. Verdict: Not a need, late round possibility  October Update: Dalton has played well recently, and needs to do it consistently.  No, his deep ball is not great, but with the weapons on this team it does not have to be.  No change.

RB: I do not know how much longer we have BJGE under contract.  He is reliable, and a good short yardage back, but he does not "impress" me.  If he is nearing the end of his contract I could see a mid round pick on a big back, maybe a guy with a little more speed than Bennie.  I am hoping for a nice career with impact from Gio, but he's not a Bell Cow.  Verdict: I would absolutely be in the hunt for a guy in 3 or 4.  Carlos Hyde anyone? (Yeah, I'm a "Buckeye Homer" but this early, with the exception of a few big name guys I'm not familiar with a lot of other team's players, and he's a big back with speed.)  October Update: Gio has exceeded my expectations, but I would still like to see us add a bruiser.  No Change.

FB: Between Pressly, Connor and maybe Charles I think we are good here for a few years anyway. Verdict: Not a need.  October Update: I expected more from Charles by now.  Although I did see him in at FB on at least 1 "short yardage" play (however I do not rmember the result).  I have heard nothing about Pressly's injury status.  I think the Bengals will likely stick with what they have, but I would not object to adding a FB in the draft.

WR: I am hopeful that Jones and Sanu develop into productive WRs.  But there is a part of me that would like to add a 6'4" 220+ pound guy with maybe a little bit of speed to add to the mix.  Except when/if they split Eifert (or Gresham) out, we really don't have that right now (other than AJ, who is not 220+).  Verdict: I don't really see WR as a "need", but a BPA guy, especially a big one, I could see at any point in the draft.  October Update:  Marvin Jones seems to be blossoming now.  He has made some huge plays lately, has shown good hands, toughness and physicality.  I would still not object to adding a big body WR, but would not be upset if we stood pat at WR.

TE: I think we are set for now.  Eifert and Gresham will be a great duo for a couple more years.  Smith or possibly Charles add quality depth.  Verdict: Not a draft need.  October Update: Gresham seems to be slipping back into his "old ways", and needs to get back to the intensity he showed early in the season, but I still do not see TE as a need.  No Change.

OT: I like our starters and our depth.  I think Whit has a couple more good years left, so I would not look OT early just yet.  I also think Fragel has the tools to eventually develop into his replacement.  Verdict: Not a need, but I am always open to adding O-linemen when they are BPA.  October Update: Whit seems to have benefitted from the knee surgery, and Andre has stepped up.  No change.

OG: I think Boling and Zeitler will develop into a formidable duo.  We also have decent depth at the position possibly with Hawkinson, Robinson, and Pollak.  I know there are a lot of people here that are not Boling fans, but I thought he played well until he hit the wall.  I think he takes a step this year.  Verdict: See OT  October Update:  Zeitler is not playing quite as well as he did last year, but I think he has shown he can be a good one.  Boling has played well as a pass blocker for the most part, but I'd like to see him get a little stronger in the run game.  No change.

C: I like Cook.  He has shown he can play when healthy, and we have adequate depth with Robinson, Pollak and Johnson (PS?) Veridct: See OT.  October Update:  Cook got off to a slow start, but seems to have improved a little of late.  I would not object to drafting a center, I just don't think they will.

K/P: We are good, not a need.  October Update:  No change.

DE: All signs point to MJ93 being gone, but I hope I am wrong.  Dunlap is locked up, and Gilberry and Geathers provide adequate depth.  Hunt is a question mark at this point, but he has a world of talent.  If Hunt does not develop, and we do lose MJ, I could see us drafting a DE early.  We haven't done it in 1 lately, but it is possible this year.  Verdict: Possible first or second round pick.  Dream scenario (that won't happen) trade up for Clowney.  October Update:  I still think MJ93 is gone.  Hunt hasn't played much, but was not bad when he did.  I could still see a DE fairly early, but probably not in 1.  Unless we are picking in the 30s, then maybe.

DT: Sign Geno.  If we do, we are good to go.  If not, I could see a DT in 2014 or 2015.  Verdict: Depends on Geno. October Update:  Well, Geno is now locked up, so this is not a need.

WLB: I am going to operate under the assumption that Burfict is our WLB and Maualuga is our MLB until the coaches show me otherwise.  I also like what I have seen of Lamur and DiManche.  WLB is not a need.  Verdict: Only as a late round BPA pick.  October Update:  Burfict has become a beast, and Rey is playing well.  We will get 2 LBs back next year in Lamur and Porter, so I don't see us drafting a WLB.

MLB: As much as many of us hate Rey, the coaches seem to like him, and so far this preseason he has played well.  My guess is he is here for at least the next 2 years.  I could see them moving Burfict inside if Rey leaves after that.  Schaefer looks to provide good depth.  Verdict: Not a need.  October Update:  See WLB.

SLB: Harrison looks good, but he is 35, and on a 2 year deal.  Could Lamur play SLB?  What do we have in Brandon Joiner?  Verdict: I do see this as something of a need.  I would consider taking one as early as round 1 if he is of value.  October Update:  I don't see us taking a SLB in 1, but I can still see us taking one.

CB: Right now we have quality starters and good depth.  But our starters are old (all pushing 30) and our backups are unproven.  Veridct: Ask me again at the end of the year, but unless there is another glaring need, I will never object to drafting CBs early. October Update:  Ghee and Dre have still not shown much (however, Dre has an opportunity to prove himself now), and with Leon hurt, and the ages of our "proven" CBs, this is my top draft priority, and what I want in 1.

FS: Nelson is good, and signed.  I wonder who would be his top backup though?  Iloka?  Mays?  If Iloka does not win the SS job I could see him here.  Verdict: I could see a mid to late rounder on a backup FS.  October Update:  No change.

SS: I like what I have seen of Iloka and Williams.  Unless they prove otherwise by the end of the year I am content.  Verdict: Not a need.  October Update:  Iloka has been solid, and Mays has played better than I expected.  I think we are ok here.

Summary of needs/wants in approximate order: CB, DE, SLB, RB, WR, OL depth, Backup QB.

Ok now read.

I think because of going O in 1&2 this past draft, it is likely we go D very early. I think I want to see how Dre K plays the rest of the season before I put a priority on it, but I do think CB and SAM LB are the top needs of the D.

Ok now read.

I think because of going O in 1&2 this past draft, it is likely we go D very early. I think I want to see how Dre K plays the rest of the season before I put a priority on it, but I do think CB and SAM LB are the top needs of the D.

I'd say the issue with SAM at pick 1 is the number of plays...look how hard a time Harrison is having getting on the field as a SAM-only guy.  A high pick LB would probably need to be more of a cover guy just to get snaps in nickle situations.

I'd say the issue with SAM at pick 1 is the number of plays...look how hard a time Harrison is having getting on the field as a SAM-only guy.  A high pick LB would probably need to be more of a cover guy just to get snaps in nickle situations.

And between Burfict and Lamur next year I think we are good with our nickel LBs.

And between Burfict and Lamur next year I think we are good with our nickel LBs.

Yeah, but not if they get injured, we need to draft depth, even if it's a 1st round pick who sits and learns. Look at how much Kiko alonso has helped buffalo?

I think we should look into a CB or O line.

I would not object at all to drafting Mosley or Shazier, but, 1. I doubt either is still available when we pick, 2. I just don't think we will.

But a LB group of Maualuga - Burfict - Shazier/Mosley could be awesome.

Yeah, but not if they get injured, we need to draft depth, even if it's a 1st round pick who sits and learns. Look at how much Kiko alonso has helped buffalo?

I think we should look into a CB or O line.

I think Boley may actually be good as a stop-gap for a season or two.  My concern for Lamur is whether that's an injury that could end up being repetitive for a LB, given how easily it popped out (there were rumblings that he must have had that injury before). 

I'm more interested in finding a SLB who can be a three down presence, personally.  I like Harrison in the run game and, though I like Dimanche's potential, I'm just not sure that he's got the size to be anything but a WLB.

Still, LB is quickly falling in the need department.

As you mention, CB (Hall) and O-Line (Whit) have quickly taken on top need status.  It's a bumper crop for top SLB candidates though, so it'll be tough to draft for need over BPA if one of those guys is available. 

I also think we need more depth at Safety, particularly FS.

Lastly, for you RB question on the other board, I think a big guy who can make some hay ----- and actually catch the ball would be great in the mid rounds.  Maybe Burkhead will be that guy (I think he could be), but I've been watching lately and teams just don't bother covering BJGE out of the back field, and leave him wide open, because they know how little Dalton trusts him to catch it (let alone move an inch once he does)...

I think Boley may actually be good as a stop-gap for a season or two.  My concern for Lamur is whether that's an injury that could end up being repetitive for a LB, given how easily it popped out (there were rumblings that he must have had that injury before). 

I'm more interested in finding a SLB who can be a three down presence, personally.  I like Harrison in the run game and, though I like Dimanche's potential, I'm just not sure that he's got the size to be anything but a WLB.

Still, LB is quickly falling in the need department.

As you mention, CB (Hall) and O-Line (Whit) have quickly taken on top need status.  It's a bumper crop for top SLB candidates though, so it'll be tough to draft for need over BPA if one of those guys is available. 

I also think we need more depth at Safety, particularly FS.

Lastly, for you RB question on the other board, I think a big guy who can make some hay ----- and actually catch the ball would be great in the mid rounds.  Maybe Burkhead will be that guy (I think he could be), but I've been watching lately and teams just don't bother covering BJGE out of the back field, and leave him wide open, because they know how little Dalton trusts him to catch it (let alone move an inch once he does)...

With the weight Lamur had put on, could he play SLB?

With the weight Lamur had put on, could he play SLB?

In fact, he was already being used interchangeably as a SLB/WLB, though he was taking SLB snaps as a nickel backer covering TE's down the field. As much as I've wanted the Von Miller/Peter Bouleware Joker type here, that experiment has not yet worked for us, and it may make sense to continue to reach for solid guys who can play traditional OLB in a 4-3 - whether they be weak or strong.  The kid from Florida State looks like a baller in that regard.

• 1 month later...

Think its a playmaker in the back seven.  We need to generate some more turnovers via interceptions.  

Although, It could also just be Zimmers scheme.  He generally plays off coverage to prevent big plays.  JJoe had 9 in his final two seasons with us, though.

QB: Would love an upgrade but I expect no changes and upgradig the position when you are in Atlanta Hawkville is tough.

RB: I bet we add a rookie with a mid pick and thats it. Everyone else returns.

FB: Coaching staff still wants to make Charles v Conner seem smart

WR: Solid although we could use a true 2. Sanu and Jones are closer to that than any draft pick.

TE: Solid and over invested for our use.

OL: I think we are solid at C and have depth along the line but you can always use another high pick. Pollack and Collins are FA's so if they re-sign we are set. Can upgrade a bit by trying to nab at the next Bengals LT.

DL: Solid but could use an Atkins active in the middle type and anther DE if we let Johnson walk.

LB: Could use some depth but Burfict-Rey-Harrison-Maulaga-Lamur are a solid five of six.

S: No playmaker. Need someone here who can make plays.

CB: Jones and Newman are old and Kirkpatrick and Hall are unreliable for different reasons.

I would say the order for me is CB, S, OL

I have a feeling the Bengals are comfortable with what they have at Safety, but for those looking for a playmaker, the guy who fits that description more than any other traditional Safety prospect in this draft is playing at 2pm today. Deonne Bucannon, WSU.  14 picks in his career and really lays the wood.  1st Team All American.

Archived