Bengals start their releases

No need to thank them yet. They still get to bring back a player once Hawkins goes on the IR exemption. Maybe they think Roland is the guy who will clear waivers. It certainly doesn't have to be a WR.

Roland probably is a vested veteran and not even subject to waivers.  He can sign where he likes

Roland probably is a vested veteran and not even subject to waivers.  He can sign where he likes

In that case, maybe the Bengals already know that Roland will re-sign with them as soon as it's allowed. I cannot imagine any team willing to offer him a starting job or anything.

He's shocked because he outperformed the player he was up against (Whalen) draft position had nothing to do with this.

Based on what? Did you see every practice, hang out in the weight room and meeting room, etc?

It's been documented that ball security has been a issue for him, and we saw that in a PS game. I heard Lap say that after impressing at OTAs, he plateaued in training camp.

I like what he brings potentially, and I hope he goes to the PS here. But no way he's as advanced as a receiver as Whalen is, and he doesn't give you what Whalen does on ST coverage.

Based on what? Did you see every practice, hang out in the weight room and meeting room, etc?

It's been documented that ball security has been a issue for him, and we saw that in a PS game. I heard Lap say that after impressing at OTAs, he plateaued in training camp.

I like what he brings potentially, and I hope he goes to the PS here. But no way he's as advanced as a receiver as Whalen is, and he doesn't give you what Whalen does on ST coverage.

OK... But from what was seen on the field and they actually gave him more opportunities on the field.. He looked like he had more upside... Whalen never stood out good or bad

OK... But from what was seen on the field and they actually gave him more opportunities on the field.. He looked like he had more upside... Whalen never stood out good or bad

They knew what they had in Whalen already, and he showed that when they did go to him.  

yeah, I like the POSSIBLE versatility it he brings, but I don't think he can bring the pain like Conners in a long 4 minute drive.

Bringing the pain doesn't substitute for more disguised looks on offense this year. I think with Charles in there, Gruden finally has the pieces in his 3rd year that he really work with. We may finally seeing Gruden fulfilling his potential as our oc.

Never forget when Peko stoned Polumalu at the goal line back in 2010. This more than proves Peko can handle fb duties when called upon.

I hear ya and remember how great of a block that was. But my question is why haven't we seen it more if he is a dominate blocker ?

I hear ya and remember how great of a block that was. But my question is why haven't we seen it more if he is a dominate blocker ?

Because it takes away his freshness when playing d-line snaps possibly.  He is more important to that group.  Nothing surprising about this.

Okay, so Hobson is saying they are only carrying 5 CBs. I didn't see where he specifically said Prater had been cut though. I've seen some other media tweets saying that Prater was still on the roster, so I don't know what's right.

Did this get posted?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/bengals-waive-skelton-as-part-of-final-cuts/

Bengals waive Skelton as part of final cuts
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
350x-146.jpg?w=250AP

Add the Bengals to the growing list of teams going with two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster, as they waived John Skelton as part of their final cuts.

That leaves just Josh Johnson behind starterAndy Dalton, and creates an immediate need for a practice squader.

They placed linebacker Emmanuel Lamuron injured reserve after his shoulder injury, and placed running back Bernard Scott on reserve/PUP, which will make him ineligible for at least the first six weeks.

The Bengals announced that they had released veteran tackle Dennis Roland, and waived the following 18 players: Fullback John Conner, long snapper Bryce Davis, safety Tony Dye, tackle Reid Fragel, wide receiver Cobi Hamilton, running back Daniel Herron, center T.J. Johnson, cornerbackChris Lewis-Harris,  cornerback Onterio McCalebb, defensive end Dontay Moch, cornerback Shaun Prater, wide receiver Taveon Rogers, wide receiverRoy Roundtree, linebacker J.K. Schaffer, defensive tackle Terrence Stephens, guard John Sullen and linebacker Bruce Taylor.

Archived