DC to bid on the 2024 Summer Games?

Go Skins

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_DC_2024?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-27-09-51-11

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The inconveniences of the daily routine in the nation's capital will be a selling point as Washington, D.C., makes a push to host the 2024 Olympics.

"We are the safest and most secure city in the world," said Bob Sweeney, president of DC 2024. "The largest expense of any Olympic Games is security, and the fact that we've got it pretty built in to our everyday life here in Washington, we would leverage that asset tremendously to put on this high-profile event."

Sweeney announced Tuesday the formation of a nonprofit group aimed at making D.C. the first American city to host the Summer Games since Atlanta in 1996, and the first to host an Olympics since the Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City in 2002.

The bid has a long way to go. Washington was one of 35 U.S. cities to receive a letter from the U.S. Olympic Committee to gauge interest, and Sweeney expects about 10 to step forward as serious candidates. The USOC hasn't even decided for certain that it wants to bid for the 2024 Games, which will be awarded by the International Olympic Committee in 2017.

"They need to make sure there is a strong horse to ride," Sweeney said. "And we certainly intend to be that."

Los Angeles, which hosted the 1932 and 1984 Olympics, Philadelphia and Tulsa, Okla., have announced their interest. San Diego wants to host a cross-border Olympics with Mexican neighbor Tijuana. Other potential 2024 contenders from around the world include Paris; Rome; Doha, Qatar; and a city in South Africa.

Washington made a push for the 2012 Games a decade ago and was thought to be the favorite to be the U.S. representative, but the USOC chose New York instead. There was concern at the time that the D.C. bid was tainted by hearings held by Congress in connection with the Salt Lake City bribery scandal, the thought being that the IOC would not want to put the Olympics in the city where its then-president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, was grilled by lawmakers under oath.

New York went on to finish fourth in the international bidding, losing out to eventual winner London. Chicago made a bid for 2016 and suffered a stinging first-round exit, with Rio de Janeiro winning the games.

Chicago's defeat was blamed partly on a revenue-sharing feud between the USOC and IOC. The two sides have since resolved the dispute, and USOC leaders have worked hard to improve their standing in the international Olympic community.

"It's a different USOC than it was, certainly, for Chicago," Sweeney said.

Sweeney, a former president of the Greater Washington Sports Alliance, helped out with D.C.'s 2012 bid and said he has no concerns about the political problems that hurt that effort. He pointed out that Washington was recently chosen to host a major Olympic meeting - the general assembly of the Association of National Olympic Committees - in 2015. D.C. is also making a push to host the 2017 fencing world championships, which would be timely if Thomas Bach, a former German fencer, is chosen as the next IOC president in an election next month.

Sweeney said he hopes to raise $3 million to $5 million to support the D.C. bid by the end of 2014. He estimates the cost of hosting the Olympics in D.C. would range from $3.5 billion to $6 billion, although he expected it would be toward the lower end because a good deal of the infrastructure is already in place.

Well, the first issue would be transportation.  Metro has problems a lot.

There are plenty of hotels.  One airport is 2 miles from the DC line and is Metro accessiable.  Metro is being extended to Dulles and would be open well before 2024. That will help as well. 

Venues, well, other than Nationals Park and Verizon Center, other places would have to be built (unless they want to use some college venues). 

This will be interesting to see how far it goes.

The IOC is a joke. If the bribery in Washington is any indication, they should get the nod since the IOC is just as corrupt as Washington. Win win! Just hold the games in NW and avoid SE and NE areas of the city and it will be FINE!

Or fuck, just say it's being held in DC and have them in Fairfax County instead. The Redskins are a DC team and they don't play in the city. They play in Landover MD last I checked. Fuck DC...it's a cesspool in more ways than one. Hopefully Marion Barry will be in on the negotiations. I'm sure he can arrange "favors" for the IOC members looking to "have a good time".

The IOC is a joke. If the bribery in Washington is any indication, they should get the nod since the IOC is just as corrupt as Washington. Win win! Just hold the games in NW and avoid SE and NE areas of the city and it will be FINE!

Or fuck, just say it's being held in DC and have them in Fairfax County instead. The Redskins are a DC team and they don't play in the city. They play in Landover MD last I checked. Fuck DC...it's a cesspool in more ways than one. Hopefully Marion Barry will be in on the negotiations. I'm sure he can arrange "favors" for the IOC members looking to "have a good time".

Nationals Park is in SW. 

Univ. of MD isn't far from the DC line, soccer games could be played there.  Same goes to George Mason University. 

Haha...good line with Marion Barry.

When I first heard about this... the first thing I thought was how many billions is this going to cost? They say 3.5 to 6 and probably on the lower end....I say bullshit...

IMO they say fuck all of the problems this country has if they win the bid, they will want to look like pimp daddies to the rest of the world and go all out for this shit. I know 3.5-6 billion is a lot of money, but we waste that shit like it's nothing.

Washington and the IOC working together.. LOL . See who can out corrupt the other.. That's a battle there...

When I first heard about this... the first thing I thought was how many billions is this going to cost? They say 3.5 to 6 and probably on the lower end....I say bullshit...

IMO they say fuck all of the problems this country has if they win the bid, they will want to look like pimp daddies to the rest of the world and go all out for this shit. I know 3.5-6 billion is a lot of money, but we waste that shit like it's nothing.

Washington and the IOC working together.. LOL . See who can out corrupt the other.. That's a battle there...

I guess the flip side is billions will be pumped into the DC economy for 2 1/2 weeks. 

In order for gun laws to work on a state by state basis, there would have to be TSA-style border crossings at every state border, which would likely violate the interstate commerce clause.

In the case if the TSA, the violation would be due to ineptitude.

In order for gun laws to work on a state by state basis, there would have to be TSA-style border crossings at every state border, which would likely violate the interstate commerce clause.

How about if we all promise to give our junk a squeeze when crossing state lines and call it a day?

Archived