For Those Looking for a Better Understanding of Islam

Elflocko

I invite you to watch this piece called The Life of Muhammad which was done for PBS.  It's available to watch for free on the PBS website for about another week:

The Seeker

Holy Wars

Holy Peace 

It gives a unique perspective on his life, the environment into which he was born, and does an excellent job of explaining the "why" of certain beliefs and practices.  It also does a very good job of describing and explaining the improvements he made to punishments and judicial process at least in comparison to what existed at the time.  Having read the Koran and much of the Hadith, I still learned quite a bit about which I was not aware and found it engaging.  

If nothing else, I hope some will take away from this work that, just like many Christians, many Muslims need to be reminded that their prophet wasn't a dick and much like Jesus was a really nice guy unless you pushed him too far.

Full Disclosure:  I'm an atheist, but believe that many of the problems we face in this world are born out of religious zealotry based on ignorance of those they consider their religious antagonists or enemies. 

Full Disclosure 2:  I was originally going to name this thread "For those who think Muslims are all about the head chopping" but thought better of it as I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

Enjoy...

Archived