wife dropped her macbook pro.. HD is fucked in the A

GoBengals

as it states.. my wife dropped her macbook 13"... wont boot up since then.. wont get past grey screen.. made a boot disk to launch disk utility.. HD is fucked.. not repairable..

so i busted out my sata to usb adapter and am copying everything i can off it... since she backed up almost nothing to the external drive i got her..time capsule has been offline for a few weeks since i moved the airport extreme downstairs..

she has about 300 gigs that need to be copyied... this blows ass

sent her to micro cente for a new drive, i ordered online she picked up..

a full day of fixing her shit ahead of me..

Are you sure the drive wasn't just disconnected from the motherboard by the shock of the drop?  The fact that you can copy data off makes me wonder if the drive itself is damaged...

Yea, thats what i thought too.. it wont boot from it at all, i took it out put it back in put her old drive back in(previous to the broken one) booted fine, so that eliminated the macbook;... tried the broken one again.. nothing... so i connected it to my computer, ran disk utility, comes back unrepairable and must be formatted.... this is, mind you, the same drive that i used in my computer until i got my 1TB drive. and i had some slowness issues with it, thought it was RAM, etc... she ended up eventually getting the slowness a week ago.. we started dumping her files for backup, she stopped doing the backups, for some reason. otherwise i woulda been done 13 hours ago..

but yea its totally cheesed..

i tried every repair option i could think of and googled, everything came back bad sector or bad partition and that it must be formatted to attempt tofix..

done w/ backup, created mountain lion install disk, from mine. installed it on hers.. now im transferring the 280GB back via ethernet.. gonna take like 45 minutes... better than the 11 hours  or more it took to get it off via usb adapter... 

then the endless "what about my plugins" "what about my bookmarks"

FML

done w/ backup, created mountain lion install disk, from mine. installed it on hers.. now im transferring the 280GB back via ethernet.. gonna take like 45 minutes... better than the 11 hours  or more it took to get it off via usb adapter... 

FML

:24:

"Where are my bookmarks?"

"Shouldn't you be in the kitchen?"

That would be hilarious.

For me...

:ninja:

FML

ha ha ha....  now that shit is funny 

seems to have gone pretty well, having access to the applications folder from the old broken drive was great, drag and drop the apps and the photoshop presets and stuff like that was awesome...

she is having some lag issues when she has a bunch of photoshop shit open..  everything else is crisp and fast as brand new... so i think im going to grab some ram and take it from 4gb to 8 gb.. gonna have to wait till payday though...

if that doesnt solve it i will probably have to try to sell hers for $700-ish and see if we can get her upgraded..

even the $1100 macbook pro would be a huge upgrade and it can take 16GB of ram, dual core i5...

though i think the whole line is getting a cpu upgrade shortly.... so hopefully we can wait it out..

• 1 month later...

Archived