If Dalton’s The Key, Week One Bodes Well

If Dalton’s The Key, Week One Bodes Well
Posted by Dan Hoard on September 11, 2013 – 11:30 am

Nearly every preview story about the 2013 Bengals fits the same basic theme:

“Cincy has the defense and the game-changing wideout – all it needs is Andy Dalton to elevate his game to win the AFC North crown and finally make some postseason noise.” – Andy Benoit (MMQB.si.com)

“If the Bengals are to be taken seriously, which I think we all feel they are, (Dalton) definitely has to go to the next level.  He has to be a difference-maker if they want to make it to the Super Bowl.” – Boomer Esiason (NFL on CBS)

“So why is there trepidation when it comes to making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender?  Look under center.  That’s where you will see quarterback Andy Dalton.  Despite leading the Bengals to two playoff appearances in his first two seasons, Dalton has a ton of doubters.” – Pete Prisco (who picked the Bengals to win the Super Bowl on CBSSports.com)

“But Dalton knows – everyone in Cincinnati knows – that he has to be a more complete passer for this team to play at home in January instead of being a road wild-card team destined for an early exit.” – Peter King (Sports Illustrated)
If there is any truth to the “Bengals Will Go As Far As Dalton Takes Them” meme, then Cincinnati should feel good about its prospects this season despite the loss in Chicago.

After one week, Dalton leads the NFL in completion percentage (78.8) and ranks 7th in average yards per attempt (8.55).  And if A.J. Green had not dropped a perfect pass that ricocheted to Charles Tillman for an interception, Andy would have had a passer rating of 112.4 instead of 97.2.

“There are a couple of plays that I’m sure he wishes he had back – as we all do – but for the most part, we’re happy with his performance,” said offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.  “He played very well.  Seventy-nine percent on the road against Chicago’s defense is impressive.  We just have to do a better job of protecting the ball.”

Dalton is constantly questioned about his ability to throw deep, but in the season opener, Andy was 3-for-3 for 107 yards on passes thrown more than 20 yards in the air and completed all six of his passes thrown more than 10 yards down the field.

“We spent a lot of time in the spring identifying what the issues are, and what the next level is for him in a lot of areas – mental, physical, and technical,” said quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese.  “It was good to see what the product was going to be as the bullets started flying.  I like the improvement he’s made.”

At the age of 25, Dalton has 35 NFL starts under his belt after starting 49 games at TCU.  At this point, has he seen about all there is to see from opposing defenses?

“Probably percentage-wise,” said Zampese.  “He’ll see some things that are new every week because everybody comes up with such great stuff in this league, but he’s seen a lot at an early age which is good.”

That includes four looks at the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense under Hall of Fame coordinator Dick LeBeau.  After losing his first six games against AFC North heavyweights Pittsburgh and Baltimore, Dalton ended last season with back-to-back victories over the Steelers and Ravens, and Zampese says it was significant for Dalton to get “over the hump” against those division rivals.

“There are all sorts of mental humps that you have to get over because somebody always puts something in front of you:  You haven’t done this yet or you haven’t done that yet,” said Zampese.  “It never ends until you retire.  That was something that got overcome last year.  But we haven’t beaten them this year, so there you go Andy.”

He’ll get his next chance against Pittsburgh on Monday night at Paul Brown Stadium, and while Dalton’s play will obviously be under the spotlight, his head coach sounds confident in his quarterback – this week and beyond.
“If everybody else plays up to Andy’s standards, we’ll be fine,” said Marvin Lewis.

It may or may not ever happen, but baiting Go to Dalton Rage makes it that much tougher for everyone to move past this... How about we all try to stop flicking his nose, and tries to embrace the entire team a little more (which I felt like he was doing until the gameday thread).

And I'll say it again: I think I like this team more than any other Bengals team since at least the Kenny Anderson Super Bowl team. They've just got so much talent, heart, and chemistry... Maybe the Bengals should wear shirts with a massive 'T.H.C.' across the chest for just that reason? :p

It may or may not ever happen, but baiting Go to Dalton Rage makes it that much tougher for everyone to move past this... How about we all try to stop flicking his nose, and tries to embrace the entire team a little more (which I felt like he was doing until the gameday thread).

And I'll say it again: I think I like this team more than any other Bengals team since at least the Kenny Anderson Super Bowl team. They've just got so much talent, heart, and chemistry... Maybe the Bengals should wear shirts with a massive 'T.H.C.' across the chest for just that reason? :P

the league might have a problem with those initials. :D

And I'll say it again: I think I like this team more than any other Bengals team since at least the Kenny Anderson Super Bowl team. They've just got so much talent, heart, and chemistry... Maybe the Bengals should wear shirts with a massive 'T.H.C.' across the chest for just that reason? :P

Go hardly needs baiting.  To continue the fish metaphor he jumps out of the lake, into the boat, prys open the cooler and lies down with the other fish.

I'm sure Go loses much sleep over you people.......he's probably having an anxiety attack at this very moment.  Way to show him guys! 

You could apply this same logic to virtually everything written on this site. Just like I'm sure you think you are accomplishing something by harping about Dalton constantly.

Dalton could be the best QB in the world.   Eventually he's going to have a bad game or a series of bad games.    Hall of Fame QB do.

What a wonderful shit storm that's going to be on this board. 

You could apply this same logic to virtually everything written on this site. Just like I'm sure you think you are accomplishing something by harping about Dalton constantly.

Harping on Dalton constantly?  OK, sure.   Believe what you want, maybe it's all you remember.....irrelevant really.    And no, I don't believe I'm accomplishing anything by "harping on Dalton constantly".   Seriously, what 'accomplishment' could I claim?   We're on a freaking internet message board.  I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed by me constantly harping on Dalton. 

Now, to go find all the Dalton threads in order to harp.  Then after that, it's back to Johnny Rey Hating!  

Harping on Dalton constantly?  OK, sure.   Believe what you want, maybe it's all you remember.....irrelevant really.    And no, I don't believe I'm accomplishing anything by "harping on Dalton constantly".   Seriously, what 'accomplishment' could I claim?   We're on a freaking internet message board.  I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed by me constantly harping on Dalton. 

Now, to go find all the Dalton threads in order to harp.  Then after that, it's back to Johnny Rey Hating!  

Precisely.  So can we also assume that perhaps making Go lose sleep isn't very high on anyone's agenda?  Perhaps it's more good natured shit talking and some ribbing in a social setting?

Usually the thing to do is take your lumps and laugh about it.. It's all between "friends".  I think the problem gets exacerbated by his stubbornness.  Which stems all the way back to that one Brat thread...

Lucid always harping on about somebody harping on.    Wet blanket, really.

Wait I thought Khat was harping on us for harping on Go for harping on Dalton.. I'm confused now...

This thread is fucking worthless.

Dalton looked damn good against a damn good defense.  I truly believe that was a sign of things to come for this year and down the road, catapulting this offense to new levels.  See you in NYC.

So's yo momma.. But for some reason, some people still pay for that...

:ninja:

Sorry, for the lame yo momma joke.. It just came to me.

I can't say I have a problem when I see people sleeping in the bed they have made for themselves.  Especially if they were being all snarky while making it.  Maybe a little humility is in order?

The point being it's been a miserable two plus years, and someone needs to try to grow beyond this. I don't care anymore who's the biggest loser. Resolution starts with one side choosing not to return fire.

The point being it's been a miserable two plus years, and someone needs to try to grow beyond this. I don't care anymore who's the biggest loser. Resolution starts with one side choosing not to return fire.

Read the game thread if you want to see which side was firing and which was not.

Archived