Bengals terminate the contract of Bernard Scott

Not huge news but news nonetheless.... hadn't seen this mentioned with the Miles/Shaffer news yesterday.

Bengals terminate RB Scott's contract
September, 17, 2013 12:40 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals made their third roster move in two days Tuesday when they terminated the contract of running back Bernard Scott, officially releasing him into free agency.

The fifth-year veteran had been on the Bengals' reserve/physically unable to perform list due to a knee injury. According to the Bengals, he has completed rehab from the injury.

A sixth-round Bengals selection in the 2009 draft, the 29-year-old Scott has only three career starts. Had he played a game for Cincinnati this season, it would have only been his third since the 2011 season.

The timing of Scott's contract termination probably wasn't too big a surprise. He had barely contributed in three years, and rookie Giovani Bernard has already started living up to the lofty expectations that preceded him. Bernard had a rushing and receiving touchdown in the Bengals' 20-10 win over the Steelers on Monday night.

In addition to the Scott move, the Bengals on Monday waived safety Jeromy Miles and moved linebacker J.K. Schaffer off the practice squad and onto the 53-man roster. A Cincinnati native who played at the University of Cincinnati, Schaffer called the move "a dream; you couldn't write it up any better."

Schaffer wasn't on the field much, but his first career game came in primetime against a division rival.

Wish him nothing but success as long as it isn't against us!  He was a pretty cool guy.

Yeah same here. Dude would show some serious flashes, then either make a mistake and head back to the bench or get hurt. It's a shame because he had(s) so much potential.

Well, I've always liked Scott and thought he might be useful down the stretch. Shows what I know!

Hope he lands somewhere. He did some good things here as a KR and backup RB.

His off-the-chart numbers at Abilene always made my jaw drop. He had the ability, just was hurt all of the time.    

Archived