Playcalling question

I dont wanna bitch that much cause it was a great win against a really good team...but...

Did anyone notice how there were like 4 3rd and 5-7 yards in a row and almost every single time we threw  a route to the sidelines? A pass that travels about 30-35 yards in the air only to get 5-6 yards? 

I just feel like it is such a hard throw to make, and probably one of daltons toughest. Why not utilize the middle of the field more, especially with our TEs and stuff.

The second thing was when we spread out and run draws to Gio it seems to work really well. But then on a big 3rd and 3 we bring all the WRs and TEs in and try running it and it brings so many people into the box and makes it easier to stuff. Granted gio made a great play to cut back and get the first down.

Am I being nitpicky or does anyone else notice this too?

I dont wanna bitch that much cause it was a great win against a really good team...but...

Did anyone notice how there were like 4 3rd and 5-7 yards in a row and almost every single time we threw  a route to the sidelines? A pass that travels about 30-35 yards in the air only to get 5-6 yards? 

I just feel like it is such a hard throw to make, and probably one of daltons toughest. Why not utilize the middle of the field more, especially with our TEs and stuff.

The second thing was when we spread out and run draws to Gio it seems to work really well. But then on a big 3rd and 3 we bring all the WRs and TEs in and try running it and it brings so many people into the box and makes it easier to stuff. Granted gio made a great play to cut back and get the first down.

Am I being nitpicky or does anyone else notice this too?

did Gresham ever come back in?  He got hurt on his first down catch and run in the 3rd quarter but it didn't look too serious.  That would impact the middle of the field.

I want to figure out what happened on a 3rd down play in the 3rd qtr (IIRC) where we split Gio out wide, hard count, GB showed blitz off the right side.  It looked like we recognized it, snapped the ball Dalton looked to his left then pulled it in and took a sack?  I was livid, seemed like we had a look we wanted and couldn't get the ball out.  Still so much to clean up but I'm glad we were able to persevere and get the win.

did Gresham ever come back in?  He got hurt on his first down catch and run in the 3rd quarter but it didn't look too serious.  That would impact the middle of the field.

Im pretty sure he was in every drive, but maybe not. I didnt even notice he came out though so beats me. Hard to tell that kinda stuff sometimes from the 300 level.

I was talking about the 2nd quarter and stuff once we took that 14 point lead. Starting with the INT to AJ it seemed every 3rd down was outside the numbers. Nothing in the middle of the field.

I want to figure out what happened on a 3rd down play in the 3rd qtr (IIRC) where we split Gio out wide, hard count, GB showed blitz off the right side.  It looked like we recognized it, snapped the ball Dalton looked to his left then pulled it in and took a sack?  I was livid, seemed like we had a look we wanted and couldn't get the ball out.  Still so much to clean up but I'm glad we were able to persevere and get the win.

I know what play you're talking about, though I think it was BJGE.

I wonder how much Eifert played. It was such a roller coaster of a game I didn't focus on a single player once; I couldn't.

When Gio is in we are a better team.

If i had to guess, id say eifert was in for about 40-50 percent of the snaps. Didnt really get targeted a lot. He would have had a nice play on the ball that got batted down.

I just wish we would do more passes down the seam to him and Gresh. Seems like it could be unstoppable, especially off play action where they can get behind the LBs and in front of the safetys.

Pass pro was not good today, might have been why we didn't see much play action. Dalton did not have much time back there.

yea after the first drive, the green bay pass rush was getting consistent pass rush.  the oline definitely wasn't in sync today.  After Clay Mathews left the game, the game turned.

yea after the first drive, the green bay pass rush was getting consistent pass rush.  the oline definitely wasn't in sync today.  After Clay Mathews left the game, the game turned.

I wondered about that, It shouldn't have taken an injury to their key player for us to run  the goddamn ball,

Did Dalton throw a pass today from under center?  Maybe I'm just caught up in excitement, but I felt like all of his throws were from shotgun.

hmm good question, and may be why there was no play action (play action that had taken place on the 4 longest pass plays of the year).

looks like he was for at least  AJ Green's TD.

I think either the WR or RB didn't read the hot correctly and he had to take the sack.

It's been abysmal. Really very poor. Tons of talent and unimaginative play calls. He's obsessed with abandoning the run. 50% fewer runs called than passes. We're not exactly two scores down (at the time of writing, but we will be in a play)

agree.  and the D just quit (and not from being on the field too much, the Bengals had the edge in plays and TOP at the start of that drive).

agree.  and the D just quit (and not from being on the field too much, the Bengals had the edge in plays and TOP at the start of that drive).

aj quiting? the d quiting? terrible play calling? Even you have to realize marvin is to blame for some of this. How many times do we have to come out flat and unprepared before marvin gets the blame?

granted i think everyone today deserves blame, but it all starts up top.

aj quiting? the d quiting? terrible play calling? Even you have to realize marvin is to blame for some of this. How many times do we have to come out flat and unprepared before marvin gets the blame?

granted i think everyone today deserves blame, but it all starts up top.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around for this one, Marivn included.  

Simply put, the Bengals got beat in both trenches.

Archived