Reds clinch a playoff spot/WC game hypotheticals

JBandJoeyV

Very frustrating game tonight, as we have seen often this year with our batting, but hey a wins a win and a clinch is a clinch!

Id still very much want to win the division, but down 2 with 5 to play isnt looking good. I cant see the cards finishing much worse than 3-2, so we likely would have to win the last 5 just to tie.

More likely you are going to see the reds vs the pirates on Tuesday night, either in cincy or pitt.

Who do you pitch is the biggest question?

Bailey and Cueto have both had great success vs PIttsburgh in their careers, but latos has been the ace all year. 

I honestly would strongly consider cueto. I know hes only pitched twice in the second half of the season, but still...hes looked good and hes our ace when healthy. It would then set up a rotation of Latos-Bailey-Arroyo-Cueto for the playoffs, or maybe even Latos-Bailey-Cueto.

Its honestly a tough call. I could see latos, bailey or cueto. All make sense.

Based on the current pitching schedule, your options are likely Leake or Latos unless you pitch Homer on very short rest or Cueto on extended rest. 

It definitely wont be leake.  I think it will be latos or cueto. Probably not homer due to the reason stated above, although you could technically probably pitch homer on short rest wednesday if you wanted him to be in line to go Tuesday.

My vote would be cueto and then use latos in game one, bailey in game two of the NLDS if you win. I think latos gets a little too fired up (see game 5 last year). Id trust him more in game 1 than a must win game.

Dodger fan here. I take it that if the records pretty much stick to where they are then the earliest the Reds could play the Dodgers is the NLCS right?

Are there any scenarios that the Dodgers play the Reds in the NLDS?

If the Dodgers end up with the best record in NL and the Reds win the wildcard game, they would play in the NLDS. Also, if the Reds win the division and the Braves have the best record in the NL, they would play in the NLDS. 

The team with the best record in the NL will play the winner of the wildcard game. The other two division winners will play each other. 

I worry about Latos and Bailey in a big game like this with their emotions.  I feel like they could spontanously combust on the mound in front of everyone at any moment.  With that being said, I would not mind if it were Cueto/Latos/Bailey and I like that in that order.

Next Tuesday is going to be awful.  I hate that kind of anxiety.

I got no concern about Latos or Bailey in big games.

1 has two no hitters.   The other is a gamer.     Now that doesn't mean they'll have their best stuff when they pitch in big game.

In a one and done senario as a manager you can't buck the trend of not going with your best option.   If you don't win, you'll be fried in the media.

It has to be Latos.   Then maybe you get lucky in the WC and get a good lead and throw it to your bullpen earlier and give him rest for the next start. 

You don't worry about their emotions?  Both seem like ticking time-bombs to me.  Undoubtedly, both have great stuff.  Its just when that first error happens or they don't get that frame pitch and start thinking/feeling too much.  Hope I'm wrong.  I don't want to get this far for 9 innings of baseball.  I want 8 1/2 and on to ATL.

I think Cueto is the best option, but then again, we haven't seen him against a good team yet.

You don't worry about their emotions?  Both seem like ticking time-bombs to me.  Undoubtedly, both have great stuff.  Its just when that first error happens or they don't get that frame pitch and start thinking/feeling too much.  Hope I'm wrong.  I don't want to get this far for 9 innings of baseball.  I want 8 1/2 and on to ATL.

I think Cueto is the best option, but then again, we haven't seen him against a good team yet.

I worry about them not having their best stuff.    I don't worry about the game being to big for them.

I think that's been a key overlooked.   They know when they aren't throwing good.   That leads to frustration on being squeezed. 

I've seen or at least think I've seen them both pitching greatly in big moments and not get the perfect senario and move on.    No better example of Homer blowing a chance at a perfect game with a walk.   Came right back and pitch to the same standard to seal a no hitter.

All indications are that it will be Latos with an outside shot at Cueto. You can make the arguement that Bailey is the best option with everything being equal, but it's a lot harder to say Bailey on short rest would be better.

Most likely true. I think it will be latos. Hope he can win it then you could potentially go bailey cueto latos to start the NLDS.

But fuck it, win out and hope the cards drop 2 somehow.

Apparently, (I can't link right now) Latos has been pitching with an injury since the end of June.  I wonder if they throws any wrenches into the plan.   Probably rules him out starting anything on short notice.

Man.  They just showed the Teddy Kremer story on E60.  Once they put that up, it is an absolute must watch.  I would love to see them let Teddy bat-boy in the playoffs.

Wow. Just wow. The E:60 feature on Ted Kremer will make your day / Teddy Ballgame E:60 9/24/2013 http://youtu.be/XLP-pr4iCo4 

RT @BiertempfelTrib: #Pirates will start Cumpton on Sun, Liriano on Tues. #Reds will start Reynolds on Sun, Cueto on Tues.

#Reds' Johnny Cueto will start wild card playoff at #Pirates on Tuesday. Dusty Baker says Mat Latos has a sore arm.

Todd Frazier: "We're in the playoffs. Nothing to be upset about." #Reds

Arroyo: "At the end of the day, it's down to one ballgame, regardless of the way you cut it." #Reds

Cueto will start Tuesday. Latos' arm is "barking" baker said. #reds

Archived