Reds clinch a playoff spot/WC game hypotheticals

JBandJoeyV

Then, by if some minor miracle our bats find the ball in the sweet spot, we are set for a date with the Cards instead of the Braves.  My attitude is pretty sour today.  I apologize.

what better way to exercise demons then by knocking out a pittsburgh team from the playoffs and beating the cards?

I dont think it will happen, but its not impossible. Just win tuesday and we'll see what happens from there.

I don't understand how the WC works I guess. If we beat the PIrates, why would we play the Cards? Wouldn't we get shipped off to play either the Braves or Dodgers?

Cards have best record in the NL so they get the wildcard winner. Now that they have added the wildcard game, it does not matter what division you play in for NLDS games.

Cards have best record in baseball so they get the wildcard winner. Now that they have added the wildcard game, it does not matter what division you play in for NLDS games.

Ugh. Okay then. So if we beat the Pirates, which I am not hopeful about, then we play the Cardinals. Is that a 5 game series?

Ugh. Okay then. So if we beat the Pirates, which I am not hopeful about, then we play the Cardinals. Is that a 5 game series?

Yep. Would start with two games at their place on Thursday and Friday and then come back to Cincinnati for two on Sunday and Monday. If a fifth game is needed it would be in St. Louis on the following wednesday.

I'm a little perplexed by the decision to hand the ball to Cueto on Tuesday. I really think that Latos should start. Thoughts? 

i like it. Cueto is really good at pnc and hes the freshest of all our pitchers (and most pitchers in baseball). If hes on the top of his game we have a good shot if we can get some runs.

I think Latos would of started but he is supposedly dealing with an injury.

I hadn't heard that. If true then it obviously makes sense. Cite?

i like it. Cueto is really good at pnc and hes the freshest of all our pitchers (and most pitchers in baseball). If hes on the top of his game we have a good shot if we can get some runs.

If Latos is NOT hurt then I don't agree with the decision at all. Cueto has been out all the year, freshness bedamned. Latos earned the start. Unless of course he's hurt, which I have yet to see evidence of. Perhaps it's true. Still though...Latos ground it out ALL SEASON and had a great year while China Doll was hurt almost all year. It just seems...wrong to allow Cueto to be the starter in this situation, again, barring injury to Latos. There's not much if any dropoff from one to the other in terms of quality starts...particularly since Latos probably feels he has something to prove after his last start went awry.

I don't have a problem with Cueto on the mound.  Latos has been rough this past month by his standards with a 3.79 ERA, giving up 15 ER over 35.2 innings.  Including a 4 ER game with 2 HR's allowed to Pittsburgh at PNC.

Liriano has been a little rougher this month, but pretty solid at PNC.

Here's how I view this game:

The pirates accomplished their goal of finally making the playoffs. They are happy to be here similar to us in 2010. The reds on the other hand expected to be here and expected to go farther than a WC game.

The results will be 1 of 2:

1. The pirates will play tight since they haven't been in this situation and have really already accomplished their biggest goal of just making it. End up playing like the reds in 2010 not hitting and making errors.
2. The pirates come out loose having already accomplished their biggest goal and not really pressing as much. Kinda have that "what the hell lets just have fun and see what we can do" attitude that sometimes actually works.

I'm hoping it's the former.

Archived