New Bengals "Ohio" Flag

I don't know if this showed up on any of the TV coverage of our home games this year, but during the teams' run-out and introduction ceremony, Who Dey (the Mascot) has a new flag.  It's based on the Ohio swallowtail flag, sports Bengals colors, and has some pretty cool imagery on it.

I'm working from memory now, but here's what it looks like:

rh4x.png

(sorry for the crappy MS Paint imagery)

Again, I may have the colors in the wrong places, but essentially what we have here is:

- A flag that denotes the Bengals as Ohio's team

- It has two stars of one color, denoting the team's pair of AFC Championships

- It has seven stars of a different color, denoting the team's seven Division Championships

I like that the team has attempted to provide, via some pretty cool symbology and heraldry, a peek into the team's origin and history.  And knowing (as we do) of the Bengal's status this year as Ohio's oldest NFL team, I like the fact that they waited until this year to unveil it.

If anyone has a photo of the actual flag, pls post it here.

I don't know if this showed up on any of the TV coverage of our home games this year, but during the teams' run-out and introduction ceremony, Who Dey (the Mascot) has a new flag.  It's based on the Ohio swallowtail flag, sports Bengals colors, and has some pretty cool imagery on it.

I'm working from memory now, but here's what it looks like:

rh4x.png

(sorry for the crappy MS Paint imagery)

Again, I may have the colors in the wrong places, but essentially what we have here is:

- A flag that denotes the Bengals as Ohio's team

- It has two stars of one color, denoting the team's pair of AFC Championships

- It has seven stars of a different color, denoting the team's seven Division Championships

I like that the team has attempted to provide, via some pretty cool symbology and heraldry, a peek into the team's origin and history.  And knowing (as we do) of the Bengal's status this year as Ohio's oldest NFL team, I like the fact that they waited until this year to unveil it.

If anyone has a photo of the actual flag, pls post it here.

That is very cool. I wonder if they are for sale yet? I could see myself hanging this from my porch just 25 miles from Latrobe PA where the Stealers have training camp. 

That is the flag, it just doesn't have the black band on the right end like the pic below.  Great Job Numbers finding the video.

Watch Bengals Weekly episode 4.  http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/index.html

Who-Dey runs out of the tunnel with a flag that does not appear to be a pennant ( swallow tail ) type of flag.  Looks more like the following;

Bengals.jpg

I question this effectiveness, they can't even tank right. When they want to lose, they win.

A little scary in that they apparently won playing street football... fakes and horsepuckey.

Hate to see that happen Sunday and bite us in the butt.

Bengals have an ugly tendency to play close and sometimes end up losing... Chicago, for example

and if the challenge flag had not been thrown Piggsturd could have been... unpleasant.

btw... great sig.  From where I was sitting I saw the play but not a good view. tyvm

"I am Martin Hessler. Four years ago, my panzers overran Poland in one week, that was no illusion. In 39 days, my tanks smashed all the way to Paris, that was no illusion. I conquered the Crimea, that was no illusion. Today, I was given a brigade of Tiger tanks. When I have a brigade of tanks, THAT is reality."

"I am Martin Hessler. Four years ago, my panzers overran Poland in one week, that was no illusion. In 39 days, my tanks smashed all the way to Paris, that was no illusion. I conquered the Crimea, that was no illusion. Today, I was given a brigade of Tiger tanks. When I have a brigade of tanks, THAT is reality."

Initially the 82nd was designated to go to Bastogne but since the 82nd Airborne was already on the road and in advance of the 101st Airborne, the 82nd was diverted from going to Bastogne to the area around Werbomont, Belgium.  Allied planners had advanced warning of German intentions with Peiper's group being the main thrust of the entire German offensive.   Peiper was indeed heading to the area around Werbomont.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_5.htm

The main effort would be made by Dietrich's Sixth Panzer Army on the north wing, with orders to cross the Meuse on both sides of Liège, wheel north, and strike for the Albert Canal, fanning out the while to form a front extending from Maastricht to Antwerp.

Peiper's group belonged to Dietrich's Sixth Panzer army which fought on the Northern Flank of the Bulge.

The final scene in the movie is based upon ( loosely based ) the Battle of Celles which was the western extent of the German penetration of the Bulge.  However, the Battle of Celles was fought by the Fifth Panzer Army in the center of the Bulge.  The reason for the movie basing this off the battle of Celles, even though Robert Shaw was modeled after Peiper, was the technical director assigned to the movie, Meinrad von Lauchert.  Lauchert's 2nd Panzer Division was attached to Fifth Panzer Army under Manteuffel.

The Battle of Cheneux 20-22 December 1944 would be IMHO considered the end for Peiper and not, as in the movie, Celles.  From Cheneux to La Gleize where they were completely out of fuel and food, the German's abandoned their vehicles and heavy equipment on 23 December.  Most of what remained of Peiper's unit personnel wise was able to escape back to German lines.

During the Battle of the Bulge:

The 82nd Airborne Division's casualties 1,619 killed in action, 6,560 wounded in action, and 332 died of wounds

The 101st Airborne Division's casualties from 19 December 1944 to 6 January 1945 were 341 killed, 1,691 wounded, and 516 missing.

My uncle's unit fought at the Battle of Cheneux.  This was after a long ride from Sissone France to Werbomont.  Thinking he was getting a break after fighting in Holland ( see A Bridge Too Far ) they tossed them into the line.

Archived