Government Shutdown

Go Skins

The House better not block this shit

Gotta say I'm a bit conflicted about all that. It depends on what sort of concessions they've made to the Right. Rationally I'm sure it's more important, at least in the short term, to get things up & running again. The problem I have is the precedent being set where a minority interest in the legislature can hold the entire federal government hostage, circumventing constitutional law. There's an urge to let Boner, Cruz, and the rest of those double-talking shitheels twist in the wind. Give them fucking nothing and let them rot. I don't want them to have the slightest chance of spinning this as a victory, either as a valid tactic or as a win to present to their shockingly gullible constituents.

Gotta say I'm a bit conflicted about all that. It depends on what sort of concessions they've made to the Right. Rationally I'm sure it's more important, at least in the short term, to get things up & running again. The problem I have is the precedent being set where a minority interest in the legislature can hold the entire federal government hostage, circumventing constitutional law. There's an urge to let Boner, Cruz, and the rest of those double-talking shitheels twist in the wind. Give them fucking nothing and let them rot. I don't want them to have the slightest chance of spinning this as a victory, either as a valid tactic or as a win to present to their shockingly gullible constituents.

They were already holding hostage everyone else every time this thing came up, I'm hoping the record low approval numbers of republicans force the moderates to tell the tea baggers to shut the hell up.

from the NYTimes:

The deal, with the government shutdown in its third week, yielded virtually no concessions to the Republicans, other than some minor tightening of income verifications for people obtaining subsidized insurance under the new health care law

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/us/congress-budget-debate.html?hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1381944290-EG59zbRbZ0DPpyKE+KCKoA

what would happen if all the stuff that is closed right now just stays closed forever?  

The problem with the shutdown is not so much the things that are physically closed its the restrictions on the things that are still open.

I do research and development for the army and 've been working and getting paid through the entire shut down, however, due the shut down we have no ability to put any money on contract. My job relies heavily on the use of testing facilities accross the country that are staffed primarily by contractors. Thus, no testing is happening right now and my program is slipping schedule and running overbudget more and more every "shut down" day.

On top of that, the prime contractor who's producing/developing the item I'm working on is about to run out of money, and since the shut down, we have no means of paying them. Once they run out, end of this week, they will stop working and many of their employees will be laid off w/o pay. When the government eventually does "open" again it will likely take ~3weeks for them to become opperational again. Ultimately, If the schedule slips enough its possible that the entire project will be cancled all together which results in a truely outrageous waste of money when you consider the years of developement and work that have led to this point.

This is all just the tip of the iceburg really...Money and time down the toilet for no reason.

Long story short, many offices are still open but millions if not billions of dollars are being wasted while the government hovers in a "pause" state.

The problem with the shutdown is not so much the things that are physically closed its the restrictions on the things that are still open.

I do research and development for the army and 've been working and getting paid through the entire shut down, however, due the shut down we have no ability to put any money on contract. My job relies heavily on the use of testing facilities accross the country that are staffed primarily by contractors. Thus, no testing is happening right now and my program is slipping schedule and running overbudget more and more every "shut down" day.

On top of that, the prime contractor who's producing/developing the item I'm working on is about to run out of money, and since the shut down, we have no means of paying them. Once they run out, end of this week, they will stop working and many of their employees will be laid off w/o pay. When the government eventually does "open" again it will likely take ~3weeks for them to become opperational again. Ultimately, If the schedule slips enough its possible that the entire project will be cancled all together which results in a truely outrageous waste of money when you consider the years of developement and work that have led to this point.

This is all just the tip of the iceburg really...Money and time down the toilet for no reason.

Long story short, many offices are still open but millions if not billions of dollars are being wasted while the government hovers in a "pause" state.

Don't you know your project isn't important!  The problem was that President Obama personally went over and pulled barricades in from of the WWII memorial, to keep our great veterans from being able to go and Visit!  Just ask Sista Sarah!!

Not entirely true, 70% of our intelligence workforce has been on furlough due to the law saying only a force that is for stopping eminent threats, meaning we could have risked future threats because of this.

Now that this is over at least for now folks need to understand this kind of governing by crisis has already hurt our growth and lost jobs and thus revenue and thus increase in the deficit (and long term debt), here is a report from the Peter P Peterson foundation showing we already lost 0.3 points on GDP per year since 2009 (equivalent to 900,000 jobs) because of the uncertainty in this kind of brinksmanship. We need long term security in our government in order to have a real recovery.

http://pgpf.org/special-reports/the-cost-of-crisis-driven-fiscal-policy

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/house-stenographer-screams-during-shutdown-vote-removed-from-chamber-95520.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A woman described by lawmakers and aides as a long-time House stenographer has been removed from the chamber during a vote after she began shouting.

The woman was yelling from the rostrum Wednesday just below where the House presiding officer sits. The microphone she was yelling into was off.

Lawmakers said she was yelling about the House being divided and the devil. Texas Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro said she had a crazed look on her face.

As she was led into an elevator by security, she was heard to shout, "This is not one nation under God. It never was."

She also screamed, "Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ."

The outburst occurred while the House was voting on legislation ending the government shutdown and extending the federal debt limit.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/house-stenographer-screams-during-shutdown-vote-removed-from-chamber-95520.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A woman described by lawmakers and aides as a long-time House stenographer has been removed from the chamber during a vote after she began shouting.

The woman was yelling from the rostrum Wednesday just below where the House presiding officer sits. The microphone she was yelling into was off.

Lawmakers said she was yelling about the House being divided and the devil. Texas Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro said she had a crazed look on her face.

As she was led into an elevator by security, she was heard to shout, "This is not one nation under God. It never was."

She also screamed, "Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ."

The outburst occurred while the House was voting on legislation ending the government shutdown and extending the federal debt limit.

Only duly-elected psycho religious wackos allowed, sorry.

Back to business as usual...

U.S. quietly releasing $1.6 billion in Pakistan assistance

nsfw-language:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiioBFkD_Q[/media]

I don't understand why some politicians pound the desk and will go as far

as shutting down the Government for spending money on Americans.

But don't bat an eye when we spend it on other Countries where a lot 

of people don't like us? 

It really makes my head want to explode. 

Not entirely true, 70% of our intelligence workforce has been on furlough due to the law saying only a force that is for stopping eminent threats, meaning we could have risked future threats because of this.

It's "imminent" Jamie! IMMINENT!

:lol:

Now that this is over at least for now folks need to understand this kind of governing by crisis has already hurt our growth and lost jobs and thus revenue and thus increase in the deficit (and long term debt), here is a report from the Peter P Peterson foundation showing we already lost 0.3 points on GDP per year since 2009 (equivalent to 900,000 jobs) because of the uncertainty in this kind of brinksmanship. We need long term security in our government in order to have a real recovery.

http://pgpf.org/special-reports/the-cost-of-crisis-driven-fiscal-policy

I think we may be vying for a AAA rating if this keeps up. Good job, Congress!

ABC7News ‏@ABC7News 3m

JUST IN per @AP: House Speaker John Boehner says House won't block vote on bipartisan Senate deal on budget. More to come.

Now we all get to call him "Boner" with a straight face. Fuck that guy, or, let him fuck himself with his Boehner.

bachmanncontagean_zps8e0a83db.png

I know you're not supposed to stick your dick in the crazy, but I'd nail Bachmann...

• 1 month later...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/politics/budget-negotiations/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Washington (CNN) -- House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan said Tuesday he reached a budget deal with his Senate counterpart, Patty Murray, saying the proposed federal spending plan would prevent another government shutdown if approved by Congress.

The deal would set spending levels and relieve arbitrary forced spending cuts scheduled to hit early next year, according to the agreement announced at a news conference just days before a Friday deadline to settle the matter.

"We have broken through the partisanship and the gridlock," Murray said.

Both the House and Senate must still weigh in, but opponents in both parties immediately raised concerns about the agreement, which, if passed by Congress, would mark a significant departure from repeated budget showdowns in recent years.

Ryan and Murray have spent the past two months working on an agreement that would set government spending levels and replace the next round of deep automatic cuts -- known as sequester -- set to take effect early next year.

Negotiators were tasked with reaching a deal following October's budget drama in Washington, when inaction by Congress on spending for the current fiscal year led to a 16-day federal shutdown.

Congress passed temporary spending authority after the shutdown that expires in mid-January.

With the Republican-led House leaving town on Friday for the holidays, negotiators worked for a deal this week to give Congress its best shot at quickly weighing a spending proposal.

Ryan said they would like to get it before the House leaves town at the end of the work week, and Murray indicated the Senate wanted to consider it before it, too, recessed for the holidays next week.

Current government spending authority expires in mid-January.

"This deal doesn't solve all of our problems," Murray said, noting that it left untouched existing corporate loopholes that Democrats wanted to eliminate.

The agreement saves $85 billion while eliminating $63 billion in forced spending cuts to the military and other programs to achieve total deficit reduction of $23 billion, budget leaders said.

Negotiators did not include a proposal to extend unemployment benefits, which Democrats were pushing for this week.

• 1 year later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2015/03/09/federal-employees-who-worked-during-the-2013-shutdown-can-join-this-lawsuit/?hpid=z1

Federal employees who worked during the 2013 shutdown can join this lawsuit

The Justice Department on Monday will notify more than 1 million federal employees that they can sue the government for not paying them on time during the partial shutdown of 2013.

The alerts, required under a court order, will inform personnel who worked during the budget lapse that they can join a lawsuit claiming the government owes them damages under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

If the plaintiffs prevail, shutdowns could become more costly for the government, putting pressure on Congress to avoid budget lapses or amend federal law so that agencies can pay their employees on time during partial closures.

The lawsuit seeks compensation of $7.25 per hour for work between Oct. 1 and Oct. 5, the period for which the government had to delay paychecks because of the budget lapse.

“Many workers took months to recover financially from the impact of the government shutdown,” said Heidi Burakiewicz, an attorney with the D.C. law firm representing the plaintiffs. “They should not be financially punished for circumstances beyond their control.”

Archived